Subject: Re: [Ltru] Survey on inverted vs. uninverted names

From: Marion Gunn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 13:21:04 +0000

It is unacceptable to reduce the name of any language to an  
adjective. Please deprecate both inverted and uninverted versions of  
artificial dual-element names promulgated against best national and  
international practice (please note: Irish is the full legal name of  
my language in English under Ireland's National Constitution, for  
which I ask you have the same respect as you would wish others to  
have for yours).
mg

- -
Marion Gunn * EGTeo (Estab.1991)
27 Páirc an Fhéithlinn, Baile an
Bhóthair, Co. Átha Cliath, Éire.
* [email-masked] * [email-masked] *

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:15:47 -0500

> which I ask you have the same respect as you would wish others to  

In fact, Article 8 clause 1 of the Constitution of Ireland says:

	The Irish language as the national language is the first
	official language.

thus not only reducing the name of the language to an adjective, but
leaving it implicit which Irish language is intended.  Were the matter
to arise in court, I suppose that deference would be given to the other
version of the Constitution, which says unequivocally:

	Ós í an Ghaeilge an teanga náisiúnta is í an phríomhtheanga
	oifigiúil í.

(It's true that the Constitution does declare the name of the *country*.)

The other anglophone nations with written constitutions didn't get to
choose the name of the language that most of their people speak, and
most have them have resisted the temptation to make either the name of a
language or the use of that language a matter of law instead of fact.
(I am not speaking here of countries where English is not widely spoken,
in which declaring it official has practical effects.)

-- 
Knowledge studies others / Wisdom is self-known;      John Cowan
Muscle masters brothers / Self-mastery is bone;       [email-masked]
Content need never borrow / Ambition wanders blind;   http://ccil.org/~cowan
Vitality cleaves to the marrow / Leaving death behind.    --Tao 33 (Bynner)