Subject: [Ltru] Re: Alemanic & Swiss German

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 22:52:36 -0800

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote on 
ietf-languages:

>> This thread very much has to do with entries in the Registry and is 
>> really out of scope for LTRU.
>
> The only reason it does have to do with LTRU is that we are 
> considering adding 639-3, and 639-3 lists "Alemanic" as the *sole* 
> name for gsw, which is clearly incorrect. Thus it raises the issue of 
> whether to take the 639-3 names wholesale, or allow corrections.

Since you bring it up, and since we are now in December, and our IETF 
Last Call drafts are due next month...

I should remind the LTRU group that I'm still waiting for a decision on 
which names from the ISO 639 family of standards are to be added to the 
Registry as Description fields, and I'm waiting for a revised version of 
draft-4646bis that answers that question.  It was stated that I need to 
wait until the rules are set out in 4646bis before implementing them in 
4645bis.  This is the only factor that is delaying the release of 
draft-4645bis-01.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Debbie Garside" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:48:58 -0000

> > whether to take the 639-3 names wholesale, or allow corrections.

Do not allow corrections to the ISO data within the Registry.  Approach the
ISO JAC and update the Registry accordingly.  I would recommend taking the
ISO 639-3 names wholesale.  There is good reason for this.  The reference
name can be used by applications as opposed to the alpha3 sign.  The word
interchange springs to mind.

Best regards

Debbie

Debbie Garside
Managing Director
GeoLang Ltd
Corner House
Barn Street
Haverfordwest
Pembrokeshire SA61 1BW
Wales UK

Tel: 0044 1437 766441
Web: http://www.geolang.com

---

From: "Debbie Garside" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 13:53:47 -0000

> > whether to take the 639-3 names wholesale, or allow corrections.

Further to my recent email.  I would recommend that text be incorporated
within RFC4646bis stating that any problems with reference names/entities
gleaned from underlying ISO standards should be referred to the appropriate
authority for clarification/correction.  Further, the comment field can
clarify the entity within the registry until such time as the issue is
resolved; if indeed it is.

Best regards

Debbie

Debbie Garside
Managing Director
GeoLang Ltd
Corner House
Barn Street
Haverfordwest
Pembrokeshire SA61 1BW
Wales UK

Tel: 0044 1437 766441