Subject: [Ltru] Proposal to clarify administration of RFC 4646

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:28:09 -0800

I propose the following two clarifications to a couple of administrative 
details in RFC 4646.

1.  Modify the first paragraph on Section 3.2 to read:

"The Language Subtag Reviewer is appointed by the IESG for an indefinite 
term, subject to removal or replacement at the IESG's discretion.  The 
Language Subtag Reviewer moderates the ietf-languages mailing list, 
responds to requests for registration, and performs the other registry 
maintenance duties described in Section 3.3.  Only the Language Subtag 
Reviewer is permitted to request IANA to change, update, or add records 
to the Language Subtag Registry.  The Reviewer may delegate list 
moderation and other minor clerical duties as needed."

2.  Modify the fifth paragraph of Section 3.5 to read:

"The subtag registration form MUST be sent to <[email-masked]> 
for a two-week review period before it can be submitted to IANA.  (This 
is an open list and can be joined by sending a request to 
<[email-masked]>.  The list may be hosted by IANA or 
any third party at the request of IESG.)"

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 13:28:03 -0800

These seem eminently sensible changes. In implementing them, I made 
minor edits.

For the first one, I made the "may" into an RFC 2119 keyword ("MAY") and 
omitted the word "minor".

For the second one, I modified the RFC 2119 keyword "may" to "can".

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.

---

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 16:02:00 +0900

As a technical contributor, I'm a bit sad that we seem to have
reached a time where minor details like these have to be written
down explicitly. But I agree with the text below, because it
documents existing, established, and intended practice and
may help to avoid confusions, misunderstandings, and related
problems in the future.

Regards,     Martin.

At 03:28 06/12/18, Doug Ewell wrote:
>I propose the following two clarifications to a couple of administrative details in RFC 4646.
>
>"The Language Subtag Reviewer is appointed by the IESG for an indefinite term, subject to removal or replacement at the IESG's discretion.  The Language Subtag Reviewer moderates the ietf-languages mailing list, responds to requests for registration, and performs the other registry maintenance duties described in Section 3.3.  Only the Language Subtag Reviewer is permitted to request IANA to change, update, or add records to the Language Subtag Registry.  The Reviewer may delegate list moderation and other minor clerical duties as needed."
>
>"The subtag registration form MUST be sent to <[email-masked]> for a two-week review period before it can be submitted to IANA.  (This is an open list and can be joined by sending a request to <[email-masked]>.  The list may be hosted by IANA or any third party at the request of IESG.)"
>
>--

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]