Subject: [Ltru] IANA, UTF-8 and the Language Subtag Registry

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 14:00:10 +0100

Hello,

The IETF Working Group LTRU, working on RFC 4646bis and 4545bis, would
like to ping IANA about the issue of character encodings for the
registry.

There is a plan to move the registry to raw UTF-8 (currently,
non-ASCII characters are escaped in the XML/HTML way). If such a plan
is adopted, there is a discussion on how to escape non-ASCII
characters in publications like the Internet-Drafts (reminder: there
is a discussion at IETF over draft-klensin-unicode-escapes-03).

What are the opinions of IANA about it? Can you receive and handle
UTF-8 properly? Can you convert easily between &#xNNN; or \uNNNN and
UTF-8? Any preferences?

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 10:42:00 +0100

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 02:00:10PM +0100,
 Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]> wrote 

> UTF-8 properly? Can you convert easily between &#xNNN; or \uNNNN and

I just discussed the matter with Barbara Coleman (IANA), at the IETF
meeting. She said that IANA has no problem with UTF-8, providing that
it is clearly specified in the RFC, with the list of allowed
characters, if IANA is to check them (which is not the case for the
Description fields, I believe, unlike subtags where IANA checks they
are unique).

And the transition to XML goes on but no date is announced.