Subject: [Ltru] Re: WG milestones

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 07:57:39 -0700

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

> Doug, if that disappoints you, there's no reason why anybody 
> anticipating the changes in 4645bis cannot use the "hypothetical" 
> registries based on new 4645bis I-Ds for "unofficial" purposes, e.g. I 
> could try to modify my gawk scripts for UTF-8 input.

The current thinking seems to be NOT to change to UTF-8.

> And folks could also start to use 4645bis language tags 
> "experimentally", if nothing completely unexpected happens we 
> generally know what 4645bis will offer (excl. extlang for the moment.)

There are only two major differences between 4645 and 4645bis:

1.  7000 new language subtags
2.  extlangs

There's nothing magic about point 1; anyone could mock up 7000 or more 
subtags as easily as using the "real" ones.  We no longer have consensus 
on point 2, and I won't even be using the draft-4645-01 data for my own 
experimental purposes until there is.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 08:04:11 -0700

Chris Newman <Chris dot Newman at Sun dot COM> wrote:

> I care more about forward progress on the issue list than I care about 
> milestones.

Do we have an issues list?  I know we have a mail archive.