Subject: [Ltru] Re: Suppress-Script (was: Re: Status of RFC 4645bis)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:11:07 -0700

Frank Ellermann <nobody at xyzzy dot claranet dot de> wrote:

>> There is a problem in general with Suppress-Script, but I contend it 
>> is a problem best discussed in the main process document (RFC 
>> 4646bis) and not in the document that delivers the Registry and 
>> outlines the rules for creating it (RFC 4645bis).
>
> Depends, if we decide to do some bulk update (again) 4645bis should 
> state how that was done.

I don't recall any consensus to add Suppress-Scripts in volume as part 
of LTRU 2.0.

RFC 4645bis is a bulk update, of course, although its nature is more in 
question now than ever before.

> The "overhelmingly used" is its purpose for compatibility with older 
> or naive applications.

A Suppress-Script of "Hang" for "ko" would mean that written Korean, 
script unspecified, can be safely assumed to be in Hangul.  Apparently 
that is not a safe assumption to make.

> In theory we could assign a meaning to empty Suppress-Script fields.
>
> I think Martin's idea was in the direction of per record comments, an 
> "empty" Suppress-Script field could mean "intentionally void".

I think differentiating between "no Suppress-Script field" and "a 
Suppress-Script field with an empty value" would be very tricky 
business, and I would not support it.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Frank Ellermann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 21:03:19 +0100

> business, and I would not support it.

As far as I'm concerned an informal file stating which languages
have intentionally no Suppress-Script would also do.  It should be
better than only adding "n/a" manually to quick & dirty overviews
like <http://purl.net/xyzzy/home/ltru/scripts703>, though.

Frank