Subject: [Ltru] Re: Korean suppress script

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 23:00:34 -0700

Marion Gunn <mgunn at egt dot ie> wrote:

> I understand clearly what Martin Hoskin writes below, but not at all 
> Doug Ewell's response - are you saying that Korean cannot be written 
> in IPA, Doug?!?

I'm surprised that was open to any misinterpretation.  Let me try again:

<quote>

> This raises the question as to when a language should have a suppress 
> script and when not. Given that *any* language may be written 
> using -fonipa, it can't be that a language only receives a suppress 
> script if it cannot be rendered in another script.

That misrepresents the situation with Korean.  Almost any language can 
potentially be written in a wide variety of scripts.  With Korean, it's 
a regular occurrence, not theory.

</quote>

In other words, Spanish *can* be written in Cyrillic, and English *can* 
be written in Katakana.  (I've seen both.)  It is indeed possible, but 
not a "normal" way for those languages to be written.  In contrast, 
Korean in hanja is very much within the realm of normality.

None of this really has to do with IPA.  I agree with Martin that 
(almost) any language can be written in IPA.  (With 7,600 languages, 
there could be a few exceptions.)  What I disagreed with was the next 
premise, that Korean in hanja was some kind of weird edge case.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru