Subject: [Ltru] Re: ISO 639 codes

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:29:23 -0800

John Cowan <cowan at ccil dot org> wrote:

>> But I don't see why that's an issue. IMO, the difference between 
>> inclusion in 639-2 vs. 639-3 only should be irrelevant for us.
>
> Mostly it is.  But suppose there is a 639-3 only language code element 
> 'xxx' which is encompassed by 'yyy'.  At present we will use the tag 
> 'yyy-xxx'.  Now suppose 'xxx' is added to 639-2.
>
> Do we deprecate "yyy-xxx" in favor of "xxx", or do we ignore the 
> addition of "xxx"?  This issue *must* be decided for 4646bis.
>
> I favor the latter course.

I thought we had decided this a long time ago (in favor of the latter 
course), and I'm really surprised that we are having this discussion 
again, or that the situation with Akan and Twi (et al.) comes as news to 
anyone.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru