Subject: [Ltru] Re: Proposals for changes to latest draft

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 07:02:14 -0800

Mark Davis <mark dot davis at icu dash project dot org> wrote:

>>>> Remember that once it goes into the registry, it is fixed, and we 
>>>> are stuck with any mistakes from then on.
>>>
>>> Actually not.  What the LSR sends to IANA is authoritative; if IANA 
>>> botches the update, IANA can fix it.
>>
>> Indeed, this has already happened four times since the Registry went 
>> live in October 2005.
>
> And that's a bad thing, since if someone picks up a copy of the 
> registry and uses it in their software, glitches get propagated. 
> Witness the infamous (in our circle) 'jw', which resulted from a 
> publication error.

It's definitely a bad thing.  But it's not impossible to correct, which 
is what you said at the top of this thread.

It's not likely that the current set of people -- OK, I -- will let an 
error in the Registry go undetected for long.  But humans can miss 
things, and one day different people will be doing this anyway.  I'm not 
necessarily opposed to (or in favor of) posting and submitting a 
complete Registry, but I did need to clear up that one misstatement: 
mistakes in the Registry can be corrected.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:06:49 -0800

As I said, I'm not wedded to this, so if you think the process is under
control, and does not need any changes, I'll drop my proposal.

Mark

-- 
Mark

---

From: "Mark Davis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 13:06:49 -0800

Mark