Subject: [Ltru] Re: Updated draft-4646bis...

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 08:04:23 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

> Better than the one in 4646bis-07 (which uses the word "meaningless", 
> while I recently noticed that "meaning" is used several times in the 
> draft, in a different sense).

I agree with Mark and others who have pointed out this misuse of 
"meaningless."  See Mark's posts for better examples than I can give.

> What about adding also in 2.2.9. "Classes of Conformance":
>
> <t>A tag is considered "real" if it is valid and if there are existing 
> resources available which match that tag. Unlike "well-formedness" and 
> "validity", "reality" is a fuzzy concept, and a moving one (new 
> resources can appear, making a tag real, without any change in the 
> registry). See <xref target="meaning"/>.</t>

I strongly object to any attempts to define "real" or "reality" in the 
language tagging document.  What do we want to be accused of?

Addison's "it might not represent any real language usage" should be 
understandable to all.  I might prefer "real-world" instead of "real," 
but that is nit-picking.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: Addison Phillips <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2007 08:22:01 -0700

Doug Ewell wrote:
  I might prefer "real-world" instead of "real,"
> but that is nit-picking.

Nonetheless, I have included the hyphenated version.

Addison

-- 
Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Yahoo! Inc.
Chair -- W3C Internationalization Core WG

Internationalization is an architecture.
It is not a feature.