Subject: [Ltru] Re: Question on variants

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2007 09:26:35 -0700

<Karen underscore Broome at spe dot sony dot com> wrote:

> I'm not sure if we closed the discussion on whether "zh-cmn" or "cmn" 
> will be preferred in RFC 4646bis. Of these tags, which are most likely 
> to be deprecated in the new regime? It's unclear to me how I should 
> code Mandarin, Cantonese, and Taiwanese if I want the best chance of 
> being compatible with the preferred tagging to be determined by this 
> committee at a later date. I thought this business scenario might help 
> the discussion, if this issue is not resolved yet. I looked through 
> the archive and it doesn't look like this issue is closed.

The issue is not closed.  I'm hoping to see a resolution in the near 
future so that I can write draft-4645bis-02 against the agreed-upon 
model (extlang, Macrolanguage, or both).  Probably there will not be a 
quick resolution, and I will have to "fall back" to the model used by 
Addison in draft-4646bis-07 (i.e. "both").

For reference:

Extlang model:
    Type: extlang
    Subtag: cmn
    Description: Mandarin Chinese
    Description: Chinese, Mandarin
    Added: 2029-09-09
    Prefix: zh

Macrolanguage model:
    Type: language
    Subtag: cmn
    Description: Mandarin Chinese
    Description: Chinese, Mandarin
    Added: 2029-09-09
    Macrolanguage: zh

"Both" model:
    Type: extlang
    Subtag: cmn
    Description: Mandarin Chinese
    Description: Chinese, Mandarin
    Added: 2029-09-09
    Macrolanguage: zh
    Prefix: zh

Note that in the "both" model, the Macrolanguage and Prefix fields are 
identical except in the few cases where the encompassed language already 
existed in ISO 639-2, and thus in the Registry.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages 

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru