Subject: [Ltru] Re: Serbo-Croatian Deprecations and Variants

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 08:03:14 -0700

Martin Duerst <duerst at it dot aoyama dot ac dot jp> wrote:

> Just cross-checking to be sure (and offline, so not able to look at 
> the document directly): Is this rule worded so that it clearly 
> includes all kinds of different sources?

and I quoted RFC 4646:

> Section 2.2.1:  "Note: For languages that have both an ISO 639-1 
> two-character code and an ISO 639-2 three-character code, only the ISO 
> 639-1 two-character code is defined in the IANA registry."

I missed the intent of Martin's question.  Draft-4646bis-08 does also 
include ISO 639-3 in this wording:

"Note: For languages that have both an ISO 639-1 two-character code and 
a three character code assigned by either ISO 639-2 or ISO 639-3, only 
the ISO 639-1 two-character code is defined in the IANA registry."

Language subtags are the only types of subtags for which this issue 
applies.  ISO 3166 defines three-letter and numeric country codes, and 
ISO 15924 defines numeric script codes, but these are not our concern 
since they cannot be valid LSR subtags.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:07:30 -0700

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

>> To be very strict, this should probably be "... only one subtag, 
>> corresponding to the ISO 639-1 two-character code, is defined..."  We 
>> don't define ISO codes, we define subtags based on them.
>
> I'd be inclined to say we don't define subtags; we register them.

Fair enough.