Subject: [Ltru] Re: UTF-8 in which field? (Was: draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis-07

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 07:55:51 -0700

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at nic dot fr> wrote:

>> The 'Description' field MAY thus include non-ASCII characters.
>
> I would prefer a positive wording:
>
> The 'Description' field MAY thus include UTF-8 characters.
>
> Yes, I know that ASCII characters are UTF-8, too but it seems clearer 
> that we mention the encoding we allow, rather than the more limited 
> one.

Making distinctions between "ASCII" and "UTF-8" (or "Unicode") tends to 
mislead people, and leads to such abominations as this, found in the 
online help for InterSystems Caché:

    "Valid characters may be 8-bit ASCII, or ISO Latin-1 Unicode."

I would prefer something like "The 'Description' field MAY thus include 
characters outside the Basic Latin range."

--
Doug Ewell  *  Fullerton, California, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru