Subject: [Ltru] should LSRs cooperate ?

From: LB <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 02:30:01 +0100

I would like to return on the question of the application of the RFC 4646bis
in the case of a plurality of LSRs on the Internet. I consider that the
architectural reasons asking for a unique authoritative root are similar to
those for a unique authoritative LSR. And the needs for alternative LSRs
comparable to that for alternative roots. ICANN tells very well (
http://icann.org/icp/icp-3.htm) in which conditions there are thousands of
legitimate alternatives root, either within private networks, or for reasons
of test - and it indicates the conditions that such tests have to respect.

The discussions that I followed these last days within the MLTF shown me
that what is going to take place is the creation of a LSR of test. The
purpose of which will be to study the interoperability between the LSR of
the IANA and the other linguistic registries concerning more specific or
more general domains: correspondence with ISO 3166 administrative languages
and the corresponding "filtering", national, cultural, relational spaces
(notion of externet).

I thus ask myself the question of the interest or not of a coordination
between the various LSRs. I raised this question in the MLTF. The answer I
obtained is that to interface it is necessary to be two, that I was free to
raise the question in the IETF, that the MLTF's target was interoperability
with all including the IANA. However, our resources being very limited, we
had to advance at first with those who wished it. I was told that the
persons the most capable of commenting would be Doug Ewell, Martin Dürst,
and Peter Constable.

-- 
LB
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:10:37 -0800

Hi -

As co-chair...

The question of multiple language subtag registries is outside the scope
of the ltru WG charter.   Since we are in the final stages of a WG last call
for our chartered work, I'd strongly prefer that discussion focus on getting
our current i-ds ready for handoff to our Area Director.  If you have comments
on the current drafts, please provide the specific replacement text you
would like to propose.

Randy

----- Original Message -----
From: "LB" <[email-masked]>
To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2008 5:30 PM
Subject: [Ltru] should LSRs cooperate ?

...

---

From: LB <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:30:23 +0100

Hi -

After a quick review for the most general text, I suggest to
complete/modifiy the text as follows:

"2. The Language Tag

   Language tags are used to help identify languages, whether spoken,
   written, signed, or otherwise signaled, for the purpose of
   communication.  This includes constructed and artificial languages,
   but excludes languages not intended primarily for human
   communication, such as programming languages. The management of
   Language tags is assured by a Language Subtag Registry (" the
   registry ").

In all the body of the text to replace IANA LSR by "the registry".

"2.2.  Language Subtag Sources and Interpretation

   The IETF langtags namespace registery is administered by
   the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) [RFC2860] according to
   the rules in Section 5 of this document.  The Language Subtag
   Registry maintained by IANA is the source for valid subtags: other
   standards referenced in this section provide the source material for
   that registry.

   This allows tags to be parsed and processed without
   reference to the latest version of the underlying standards or the
   IANA registry and makes the associated exception handling when
   parsing tags simpler.

The private, specialized or other national or international standards
respectfull registries SHOULD strive to remain interoperable with the
registry of the IANA if they are not used within the framework of a closed
private network or of a test-bed.

   Subtags in the registry that do not come from an underlying
   standard can only appear in specific positions in a tag.
   Specifically, they can only occur as primary language subtags or as
   variant subtags

And to add to "Security considerations":

"Users should keep in mind that there is no certainty in the authority and
in the sources of the register used to form or read langtags. For that
reason the Chairs of working groups of SSDOs widening the sources used by
the IANA should concert with the IANA Language Subtags Registry Reviewer,
and the members of ietf-languages mailing list should participate in the
mailing list which they could elect to form.

---

From: LB <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 08:43:05 +0100

Sorry, I forgot to mention the reference of the charter which IMHO justifis
my  proposition in view of the operational aspects I experiment.

"The working group will clarify text where necessary. It may also
make adjustments to the registration process and the form of the
registry if this is deemed appropriate based on ongoing registration
and operational experience. These adjustments and clarifications
are not expected to delay the progress of the work."

---
LB

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 11:13:55 -0800

Hi -

As co-chair...

Since I have not seen any support for this proposal,
I'm marking it "resolved, no change".

Randy