Subject: Re: [Ltru] Registry updated

From: Peter Constable <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 11:59:14 -0700

> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Doug Ewell

> I encouraged Gérard to move this thread onto the WG, since he was
> presenting proposals and suggestions for BCP 47 to a hand-picked
> private list.

If one or more proposals are to be discussed, it would help to have them clearly stated, and with clear indication of if and how they relate to the current charter.

> 1.  One of the numerous objections to the use of ISO 3166-2 code
> elements as sub-region subtags is that the list is not freely
> available.
> If it is true that the codes may become freely available in the future,
> that does remove one of the objections, although the others remain.

This looks like a discussion regarding one or more potential proposals for a 4646ter, not a specific proposal that's in scope for 4646bis.

> 2.  The discussion about Europanto and "Neglish" probably belongs on
> ietf-languages rather than here, but I wasn't about to tell Gérard to
> take his thread to two different lists.

In this case, you should have, IMO. It doesn't belong here.

> 3.  The lengthy historical section was probably meant to establish a
> relationship between AFNOR XP Z 44-020, "Code for the representation of
> names of Oceans and Seas," and the other ISO standards we use in BCP
> 47.
> I suppose the ultimate purpose was to show that we should add region
> subtags for non-land areas of the earth.

Again, this looks like a discussion regarding one or more potential proposals for a 4646ter, or perhaps regarding potential requests to register certain variant subtags, but not a specific proposal that's in scope for 4646bis.

Peter
_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

---

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 14:29:50 -0600

Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

>> ietf-languages rather than here, but I wasn't about to tell G?rard to 

Thanks to Peter, as well as others who replied semi-privately, for 
taking me out behind the woodshed on this.

Gérard had sent a list of discussion items to a hand-picked list of 
recipients.  Most of the items (other than railing against the inclusion 
of Europanto in Ethnologue and ISO 639-3) seemed to be relevant to one 
list or another.

Even though we're ridiculously behind schedule (as I've often complained 
while the rest of the list stays silent for weeks), and Gérard's items 
are all outside our current scope, I thought it would be better to have 
Gérard bring them here and have the list comment on them than to keep 
the thread private.  I guess I thought some of his items, even the ones 
I disagree with, might be suitable for discussion in a future project, 
and there is no "4646ter" list where such people can go today.

I guess next time someone brings their LTRU-ish issues to me privately, 
instead of pointing them to a list where they will have a proper 
audience, and risk taking some of the flak myself, I'll just tell them 
to go pound sand or something.

Frustrated,

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ