Subject: Re: [Ltru] Uniqueness of variant subtags (Was: BCP47 Appeals process

From: Martin Duerst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 15:37:47 +0900

At 06:00 08/10/01, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>Yes. It seems most developers assumed that identical variant subtags
>were forbidden and so allowing your solution would break
>compatibility.
>
>Also, for all other types, duplication of a subtag is forbidden. It
>may be difficult to explain why variants are different.

 From an implementation point of view, it may be very difficult to
explain. From a user point, it's rather easy to explain; variants
are secondary information, whereas others (incl. regions, scipts)
have a primary meaning, even if they are used for secondary
distinctions in language tags.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, Assoc. Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-#-#  http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp       mailto:[email-masked]     

_______________________________________________
Ltru mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru