Subject: [Ltru] Ticket #43: AD Issue #10: File-Date value

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 15:29:38 -0700

The AD notices that:

--
AD review comment #10 from
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ltru/current/msg12399.html

10).

    5.1. Language Subtag Registry

    [...]

    Whenever an entry is created or modified in the registry, the 'File-
    Date' record at the start of the registry is updated to reflect the
    most recent modification date in the [RFC3339] "full-date" format:
    included in any request to insert or modify records will be a new
    File-Date record indicating the acceptance date of the record. This
    record is to be placed first in the registry, replacing the existing
    File-Date record. In the event that the File-Date record present in
    the registry has a later date than the record being inserted or
    modified, then the latest (most recent) record will be preserved.

I am confused by which date is going to be used by IANA in this case.
Section 3.1.2 says:

    The first record in the registry is always the "File-Date" record.
    This record occurs only once in the file and contains a single field
    whose field-name is "File-Date". The field-body of this record
    contains the last modification date of this copy of the registry,
    making it possible to compare different versions of the registry.

I think if File-Date record present in the registry has a later date
than the record being inserted or modified, then IANA should use the
date of update (which I assume would be after the record
modification/addition date). This way any change to the IANA registry
can be detected.
--

The AD has a point. However, the reason we don't put "today's date" into the file is that the records are separately preserved by IANA, including the date fields. Note that the AD didn't quote the part about handling insertions in date order.

Still, we could clarify the text.

Proposed resolution:

For consistency, change the text in section 3.1.2 from:

--
<t>The first record in the registry is always the "File-Date" record. This record occurs only once in the file and contains a single field whose field-name is "File-Date". The field-body of this record contains the last
modification date of this copy of the registry, making it possible to compare different versions of the registry.  The registry on the IANA website is
the most current.   Versions with an older date than that one
are not up-to-date.</t>
--

To read:

--
<t>The first record in the registry is always the "File-Date" record. This record occurs only once in the file and contains a single field whose field-name is "File-Date". The field-body of this record contains the approval date of the most recent change to the registry, making it possible to compare different versions of the registry.  The registry on the IANA website is
the most current.   Versions with an older date than that one
are not up-to-date.</t>
--

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect -- Lab126

Internationalization is not a feature.
It is an architecture.

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:57:25 -0700

Hi -

As a technical contributor...

> From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
> To: "LTRU Working Group" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:29 PM
> Subject: [Ltru] Ticket #43: AD Issue #10: File-Date value
...
> Proposed resolution:
...
> <t>The first record in the registry is always the "File-Date" record.
> contains the approval date of the most recent change to the registry,
>  The registry on the IANA website is
...

I think the real problem here is that this text (for section 3.1.2) is
an imperfect re-cap of the detailed description in section 5.1.
Rathering than repeating or summarizing (with the risk of getting
it wrong), might it be better to make a forward reference? 
Proposed text:

<t>The first record in the registry is always the "File-Date" record.
This record occurs only once in the file and contains a single field
whose field-name is "File-Date". The field-body of this record
contains a date (see 5.1) making it possible to easily recognize
different versions of the registry.

I think this more directly addresses the AD comment.

Randy

---

From: "Phillips, Addison" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 15:02:38 -0700

(as contributor)

I agree with this proposed change.

(as editor)

I have inserted this version of the text.

Addison Phillips

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On
> Behalf Of Randy Presuhn
> Sent: Thursday, April 30, 2009 2:57 PM
> To: LTRU Working Group
> Subject: Re: [Ltru] Ticket #43: AD Issue #10: File-Date value
> 
> Hi -
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru