Subject: Re: [Ltru] Issue #48 Hosting of mailing list (Apps #1)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:54:51 -0600

Randy Presuhn <randy underscore presuhn at mindspring dot com> wrote:

> For sanity's sake,  PLEASE include the issue number in your postings 
> on this topic, and PLEASE do not comment on multiple issues in a 
> single message.  Mixing issues in a thread only slows things down.

Very well.

> 1). In Section 3.5:
> It is not clear how the "third party" option would interact with IANA
> managing the registry. The lists either have to be managed by IANA on
> an IANA system or have to be routed through IANA systems. If there is
> a desire to be able to delegate handling of this mailing list to a
> third party, then perhaps the mailing list should be in a separate
> subdomain, e.g. ietf-languages at languages.iana.org.
> I think this needs to be discussed further with IANA.

The list is *already* hosted at alvestrand.no and listed, like many
others, at https://datatracker.ietf.org/list/nonwg/ as an IETF Non-WG
Mailing List.  This passage merely confirms what is already the case,
for the benefit of those who might be confused by this arrangement or
who might feel it compromises the legitimacy of the list.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

---

From: CE Whitehead <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 11:38:08 -0400

Hi, I joined the list in 2006 as a complete outsider and it works well as far as I can see; there are occasionally minor issues but so far no one's request for a subtag has been forgotten and decisions can be appealed to ietf!

(I'm sorry we don't have a bit more diversity on the list's more 'permanent' membership, but it's up to individuals to subscribe to the list, not to ietf-languages to recruit them, and in general it seems that the computing is dominated still by white males.  We do have several women permanently on the list)

Best,

C. E. Whitehead

[email-masked] 

From: "Randy Presuhn" <randy_presuhn at mindspring.com> 

Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 14:45:23 -0700 
> Hi -

> As a technical contributor...

>> 1). In Section 3.5:
>>
>> >    The ietf-languages list is an open list and can be joined by sending
>> >    a request to <ietf-languages-request at iana.org>.  The list can be
>> >    hosted by IANA or by any third party at the request of IESG.
>>
>> managing the registry.

> What interaction would be needed?  ietf-languages at iana.org has
> been operated by a thrid party for many years without issue.

> > The lists either have to be managed by IANA on an IANA system or have to
> > be routed through IANA systems.

> This is simply not true.

>> If there is a desire to be able to delegate handling of this mailing
>> list to a third party, then perhaps
>> the mailing list should be in a separate subdomain, e.g.
>> ietf-languages at languages.iana.org.

Why?

> I think this needs to be discussed further with IANA.

I disagree.  The text in question describes an arrangement that
has worked well for a long time.

Randy