Subject: Re: [Ltru] Issue #50: Change registry format to XML (Apps #3)

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:55:55 -0600

> 3). Registry format: IANA is switching its registries to XML. The WG
> should consider switching the format. Alternatively 4646bis should be
> updated to specify reasons for keeping the existing format.

IANA informed the WG that it was switching its registries to XML
*internally* for maintenance purposes, and that its intent was not to
require the revision of all existing protocols that did not already use
XML.  There are already tools and processes that use the Language Subtag
Registry in its existing format.  The WG argued at great length about
this and decided not to make this breaking change.

--
Doug Ewell  *  Thornton, Colorado, USA  *  RFC 4645  *  UTN #14
http://www.ewellic.org
http://www1.ietf.org/html.charters/ltru-charter.html
http://www.alvestrand.no/mailman/listinfo/ietf-languages  ˆ

---

From: "Martin J. Dürst" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 10:24:39 +0900

In addition to what Randy and Doug have said, as a technical contributor:

- There are several XML formats for the registry developed by (former) 
members of the WG. If IANA wanted to use one of these for internal use, 
or as an alternate format, this would cut down their development time. 
I'm also sure that IANA would get some advice from the WG (or the 
post-WG mailing list) if they ask.

- The language subtag registry, especially after the update currently 
being worked on, is probably one of the bigger if not the biggest 
registry that IANA is handling. Also, it has been designed for automatic 
download and processing. Both for internal work and for publication and 
automatic download and processing, it may be prudent for IANA to start 
XML with smaller registries. Even if IANA has the necessary bandwidth, 
some of the people interested in downloading, e.g. from small language 
communities, may not have high bandwidth access.

Regards,    Martin.

On 2009/05/25 7:55, Doug Ewell wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Ltru mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ltru

-- 
#-# Martin J. Dürst, Professor, Aoyama Gakuin University
#-# http://www.sw.it.aoyama.ac.jp   mailto:[email-masked]