Subject: Re: [Ltru] [apps-discuss] Fwd: Defining a CBOR tag for RFC 5646 Language Tags

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 11:02:54 -0700

Mark Davis ☕️ <mark at macchiato dot com> replied to Dave Cridland:

>> Many years ago, Mark Crispin and Chris Newman had a proposal for
>> embedding language tags in invalid UTF-8; I seem to recall they
>> publicly renounced their proposal rather dramatically in favour of a
>> Unicode Consortium proposal for embedding the language tags somewhere
>> in Plane 14 - published as RFC 2482.
>>
>> The fact it was all initiated in order to support the pressing needs
>> of ACAP might give you some hints as to why it never really took off,
>> but as a counter-proposal to language tags in metadata, it might be
>> worth re-examining.
>
> The tag characters in Unicode are deprecated, and should not be used.

As much as this is true, using invalid UTF-8 sequences to encode any
sort of meta-information is a far, far worse idea.

--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, USA
http://ewellic.org | @DougEwell

---

From: Mark Davis ☕️ <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:16:15 -0700

> sort of meta-information is a far, far worse idea.

I'm sure you're not implying that I think invalid UTF-8 would have been a
good idea, but your statement might not be clear to others.