Subject: Re: [Ltru] Mail regarding draft-ietf-ltru-4646bis and draft-ietf-ltru-matching

From: "Doug Ewell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 09:51:44 -0700

Florian Rivoal wrote:
 
> The stylesheet author is then faced with two options, both
> unattractive for different reasons:
>
> * use the deprecated tag: [...]
>
> * Use both the deprecated and the preferred tag in the stylesheet's
> selector. [...]
 
Extlang subtags, and tags like "zh-yue" that use them, aren't
deprecated. Extlang subtags have a Preferred-Value, but they don't have
a Deprecated value. While this is a subtle distinction, "deprecated" is
a term of art in BCP 47. It might be better to use a more unwieldy term
like "non-preferred."
 
Section 3.1.7 says:
 
"For records of type 'extlang', the 'Preferred-Value' field appears
without a corresponding 'Deprecated' field.  An implementation MAY
ignore these preferred value mappings, although if it ignores the
mapping, it SHOULD do so consistently.  It SHOULD also treat the
'Preferred-Value' as equivalent to the mapped item.  For example, the
tags "zh-yue-Hant-HK" and "yue-Hant-HK" are semantically equivalent and
ought to be treated as if they were the same tag."
 
It does go on to say:
 
"The 'Preferred-Value' field in subtag records of type "extlang" also
contains an "extended language range".  This allows the subtag to be
deprecated in favor of either a single primary language subtag or a new
language-extlang sequence."
 
but this is confusing to me, as I'm not sure who does the "deprecating"
here.
 
--
Doug Ewell | Thornton, CO, US | ewellic.org

---

From: John Cowan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2019 16:33:38 -0400

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:52 PM Doug Ewell <[email-masked]> wrote:

> language-extlang sequence."

I think this means that if SIL decides to change a primary language tag
that is also an extlang tag, we can deprecate the old extlang tag as well.
Another scenario would be that they decide some language doesn't belong in
its macrolanguage, and we need to deprecate the extlang tag while leaving
the primary language tag alone.   Hopefully neither of these will ever
happen.

John Cowan          http://vrici.lojban.org/~cowan        [email-masked]
    "Any legal document draws most of its meaning from context.  A telegram
    that says 'SELL HUNDRED THOUSAND SHARES IBM SHORT' (only 190 bits in
    5-bit Baudot code plus appropriate headers) is as good a legal document
    as any, even sans digital signature." --me