Subject: [Lwip] Version -01 of LWIG guidance draft

From: Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 13:29:30 +0100

Happy new year (both Gregorian and Chinese)!

Slightly late for the occasion, I have submitted a new version of the LWIG guidance draft.

Please enjoy at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-lwig-guidance-01

If you just want to see what's new:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bormann-lwig-guidance-01

I want to have at least one more iteration before March, so we have a good document to discuss in Paris.
If you have additional material, or comments on the current draft, now would be a good time to send it to the list (or to me).

Grüße, Carsten

---

From: Guillaume Fortaine <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 17:10:14 +0100

Dear Dr Bormann,

First of all, I would like to wish you and the all the people around
on this mailing-list an happy new year.

Let me introduce myself : Guillaume FORTAINE, Cloudpreneur :

http://www.linkedin.com/in/gfortaine

Having read with interest your Internet Draft entitled "Guidance for
Light-Weight Implementations of the Internet Protocol Suite", I would
greatly appreciate that you develop your classification in your
paragraph "2.1.  Classes of Devices", if possible, please.

I look forward to your answer,

Best Regards,

Guillaume FORTAINE

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 1:29 PM, Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> Lwip mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/lwip

---

From: "Robin Uyeshiro" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 11:35:45 -1000

Carsten,

Might I suggest an additional design objective for the document: if a code
subset or function can be identified that takes up significant code space
but might be implemented in hardware, then that might provide motivation for
a controller vendor to implement such a function in hardware and free up
code space since that controller might then have a competitive advantage.
For such a thing to happen, it would be important to define bounds, like
single or a limited number of sockets and/or use of only a subset of TCP/IP
protocols.

Regards,
Robin Uyeshiro

Disclosure: I have my name (along with many others) on a few hardware
implementation patents of TCP/IP from work in a former life.  I have no
connection with any hardware vendors currently.  I receive no income from
the patents except reimbursements for minor administrative activities.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Carsten Bormann
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 2:30 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Lwip] Version -01 of LWIG guidance draft

Slightly late for the occasion, I have submitted a new version of the LWIG
guidance draft.

Please enjoy at:

I want to have at least one more iteration before March, so we have a good
document to discuss in Paris.
If you have additional material, or comments on the current draft, now would
be a good time to send it to the list (or to me).

Grüße, Carsten