Subject: [Lwip] Fwd: [Ace] Webex Conference Call about "How to Select Hardware for IoT Systems?"

From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 13:34:00 +0200

FYI: I believe this topic is relevant because of the scope of this
working group.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: [Ace] Webex Conference Call about "How to Select Hardware for
IoT Systems?"
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2014 14:24:51 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>

Hi all,

Various groups in the IETF currently standardize technology for use with
constrained devices and the choice of hardware impacts the design of
Internet of Things (IoT) systems. To provide guidance RFC 7228
"Terminology for Constrained-Node Networks" defines three classes of
devices depending on their RAM and flash memory size. Class 0
characterizes devices that have less than 10 KiB of RAM and less than
100 KiB of flash memory and RFC 7228 adds "... most likely they will not
have the resources required to communicate directly with the Internet in
a secure manner." For others even class 2 with ~ 50 KiB of RAM and ~ 250
KiB of flash memory is too constrained.

With the increasing commercial interest in IoT the question about a
reasonable hardware configuration surfaces again and again. At IETF#90 I
offered to bring a hardware expert along. Peter Aldworth, a hardware
engineer with more than 19 years of experience, will lead the discussion
at an upcoming webinar.

Please indicate your availability here:
http://moreganize.com/bzTrVxhqaHp

Ciao
Hannes