Subject: [magma] IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

From: "Lucy E. Lynch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:28:53 -0700 (PDT)

All -

As you may already know, we've uncovered a problem with IGMPv3 and HP
4000m series switches. The condensed version is that in order to use
SSM/IGMPv3 on a sub-net with an HP 4000 in the path IGMP snooping MUST be
turned off in the switch.

see:
http://archives.internet2.edu/guest/archives/wg-multicast/log200206/msg00038.html

José Domínguez, our senior network engineer here at the UO, has tried to
pursue this with HP but the results are a bit frustrating. HP is
discontinuing the 4000 series switches by early next year and has no plans
to address IGPMv3 related problems since there is not an IETF RFC for same
(their proposed solution is to upgrade to new gear). We've turned off
snooping on at least one switch here to deal with testing issues - but
this isn't a solution that will work for everyone. If you have similar
issues on your campus - or if you own HP gear, please contact me as we
would like to be able to escalate this issue with HP and more is better...

Lucy E. Lynch 				Academic User Services
Computing Center			University of Oregon
[email-masked]		(541) 346-1774/Cell: 912-7998

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Joel Jaeggli <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:48:27 -0700 (PDT)

I would  question another way do you know of any layer2 switch vendor 
that does support v3 snooping?  

the real answers here are probably something like this:

	change operational practice to reflect the fact that you can't 
	rely on igmp snooping.

	punt and use some cgmp like mechanism so that a smart l3 device can 
	control the dump l2 device

	make all edge ports l3 ports 

-- 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email-masked]    
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  In Dr. Johnson's famous dictionary patriotism is defined as the last
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but
  inferior lexicographer I beg to submit that it is the first.
	   	            -- Ambrose Bierce, "The Devil's Dictionary"