Subject: Re: multicast: Re: [magma] Re: IGMPv3 & HP 4000 switches

From: Bill Fenner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 02:19:03 -0700

>I was also curious about the status of IGMPv3 in the process and what is 
>missing to make it into an RFC.

It was approved by the IESG on June 17th; this thread made me notice that
the approval message was caught in the pipeline.  Once it gets announced
it has to make its way through the RFC-Editor's queue
(http://www.rfc-editor.org/queue.html) and will then be published.

  Bill

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: José A. Domínguez <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:30:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Sun, 30 Jun 2002, Bill Fenner wrote:

> 
> One option that nobody has mentioned is to downgrade to IGMPv2 on the
> router, allowing the snooping to continue using the protocol it knows
> about.
> 

Yes, this is how we run all of our router interfaces right now. We would 
like to do v3 for SSM and keep some sort of snooping capability to limit 
flow to the listening ports in a L2 device.

We could wait on all of this (running IGMPv3 and being able to snoop it) 
but we found out that HP was going to discontinue (End-of-life, 
End-of-sales, End-of-development) their 4000 line by the end of the year. 
Talking to HP engineers they said that since IGMPv3 is not an RFC yet 
they're policy is not to work on it.

In our case this is a big deal since we have several hundreds of their 
4000s and we would like to move on to v3 where we want to use it. I guess 
what we were trying to do was to find out how many schools out there would 
be affect it by HP's move. 

Thx,

José.