Subject: [magma] IGMP proxy querying

From: Karen Kimball <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 14:00:06 -0700 (PDT)

Hello, all,

I have some further inputs regarding the language of section
2.1.1 IGMP Forwarding Rules.

First, sub-section 4 describes the initiation of proxy General
Queries upon detecting a network topology change. What is missing
from this section, however, is how this might affect IGMP Querier
election. This issue is covered for the case described in sub-section
2 (proxy-reporting), but is of a larger concern when doing proxy
General Queries.

I propose the following language for section 2.1.1 part 4:

4)  An IGMP snooping switch SHOULD be aware of link layer topology
    changes.  Following a topology change the switch SHOULD initi
    ate the transmission of a General Query on all ports in order
    to reduce network convergence time. If the switch is not the
    Querier, it SHOULD use the 0.0.0.0 IP Source Address in these
    proxy queries. When such proxy queries are received, they
    MUST NOT be included in the Querier election process.

I also have additional proposals for changed language in other
2.1.1 sections. These would mainly be considered "fixing typos":

2.1.1 sub-section 1, part b 
---------------------------

b)  The arrival port for IGMP Queries (sent by multicast
     routers) where the source where the address is not 0.0.0.0.

change the last line to
 
     routers) where the source IP address is not 0.0.0.0.

2.1.1 sub-section 2, paragraph 1
--------------------------------

2)  IGMP snooping switches MAY implement "proxy-reporting" in which
    reports received from downstream hosts are summarized and used
    to build internal membership states as described in [PROXY].
    An IGMP proxy-reporting switch would then report its own state
    in response to upstream queriers.  If the switch does not
    alreay have an IP address it SHOULD use the address 0.0.0.0 as
    source in these reports.

change the last line to
 
    the IP source adddress in these reports.

2.1.1 sub-section 2, paragraph 3
--------------------------------

    IGMP membership reports MUST NOT be rejected because of a
    source IP address of 0.0.0.0; however, these messages MUST NOT
    be included the election process so that a snooping switch does
    not elected over an active router.

change the last two lines to

    be included in the Querier election process so that a snooping 
    switch is not elected over an active router.

Regards,
	Karen Kimball

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*   Karen Kimball                          * 
*   Hewlett Packard                        *
*   Email: [email-masked]            *
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma