Subject: [magma] MSNIP behavior in ad-hoc networks

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 19:37:01 -0500

All,
      There is one open issue with the MSNIP specification.
The point was raised in Atlanta, that MSNIP does not provide
source control when there are no routers present on the link.
This occurs mainly in ad-hoc networks.

      The question for the group is whether there is consensus
to develop a mechanism to allow for source control in the
ad-hoc scenario.

      The current specification allows for the disabling of
MSNIP when no routers are present.  This removes the need for
any node on the network to assume the MSNIP router role.  But,
it does not provide the ability to constrol mcast transmits.

      I would like to hear arguments for or against adding
additional machinery to MSNIP to support the ad-hoc network.

Regards,
Brian

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma