Subject: [magma] Original MSNIP requirements from London

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 08:23:39 -0400

All,
      Here is a pointer to the presentation made in London on
the MSNIP requirements.

http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/01aug/slides/magma-2/index.html

Regards,
Brian

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:42:46 -0700

Thanks Brian!

I mentioned this to a few folks after the WG meeting, but for the
list...
The biggest scenario to keep in mind is "what happens if the router
goes down"?  Here I believe the requirement is to NOT break the 
network (including normal unicast connectivity) between devices on the
link.  

So for example, if an MSNIP sender falls back to sending everything in 
the absence of a router, this would break the network, since everything
would be fine... until the router goes down, whereupon all 
inactive senders start spamming the link with everything they've got,
and this situation may have never been encountered/planned for.
Hence I think an MSNIP sender MUST NOT fall back to sending everything.

Now say senders fall back to not sending anything, and consider a 
link with a legacy (i.e. non-MSNIP) router.  Now if a sending app
decides to use an MSNIP-capable api, they'll never send anything.
This is safe (i.e. much better than falling back to sending
everything), but provides a disincentive to ever use the MSNIP api.

This is why I support solving the problem of allowing senders to
hear reports from on-link receivers, since it will not break the
network, and still allows some incentive to use the MSNIP api,
albeit only for on-link receivers.

Hence, if the WG chooses to not solve the problem, then the spec
needs to say that an MSNIP sender MUST NOT fall back to sending
everything in the absence of an MSNIP router.

-Dave

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
> Brian Haberman
> Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 5:24 AM
> To: MAGMA Mailing List
> Subject: [magma] Original MSNIP requirements from London
> 
> All,

---

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:42:46 -0700

Thanks Brian!

-Dave