Subject: [magma] Multicast Router Discovery - Is it a valid solution?

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 10:34:03 -0400

Hi all,
     As promised, this is the start of the MAGMA discussion on
the multicast router discovery draft.

     The initial point that should probably be discussed is
whether people feel that the general approach defined in MRD is
useful for the task of finding multicast routers.

     When MRD was first defined, no other work had started on
IGMP/MLD snooping.  The goal was to define a mechanism that
would provide switches the capability of quickly discovering
the location of multicast routers without having to update code
everytime a new routing or group management protocol came along.

     At this point, there is also the issue that the snooping
draft recommends using MRD as a part of an overall switch/snooping
implementation.

     As a WG member, I still think MRD has value and we should work
on correcting some of the issues in the spec.

     Other opinions?

Regards,
Brian

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma