Subject: Re: [magma] WG Last Call: draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-05.txt

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:32:30 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 28 Oct 2003, Isidor Kouvelas wrote:
> 	This is the start of a one week WG Last Call to advance
> draft-holbrook-idmr-igmpv3-ssm-05.txt as a Proposed Standard. This
> document has had text cleanup and clarification changes made to it as
> a result of comments from the -04 version Last Call. This Last Call
> will end on Nov 5, 2003.

Sorry for missing the LC the last time.  The comments below.

In summary, I think the document is in a pretty good shape.  However, I 
think it needs especially more clarification where the document includes 
modifications or clarifications.  I'd recommend writing clarifications in 
such a manner that it would be clear they're clarifications.  More 
comments below..

substantial
-----------

1) there are several places in the spec which use the uppercase requirements
language where it's not clear whether it's really just a re-statement of
some other spec's requirement (then it should be reworded slightly), or
missing a MODIFICATION tag, for example:
 - SHOULD in section 2
 - SHOULD NOT in section 2.2.2
 - SHOULD in section 2.2.5
 - MUST in section 2.2.7
 - everything in section 3.1

2) "SSM-aware host" is defined as a host which has a configuration option to
manually override the SSM config ranges.  HELLO?!?!  Isn't a host which
knows the current SSM ranges is equally SSM-aware.  I fail to see why you'd
have to be able to configure the "SSM-aware" club.

3)  The SSM range for IPv6 is defined in section 2 as FF3x::/32.  Some others 
interpret RFC3306 so that the SSM range is FF3x::/96.  Which is it?  
This may need to be clarified somewhere.. maybe someone knows what is the 
appropriate one to use..

4) section 2 describes the modifications and defines an "SSM-aware host". 
Is there a need to do something similar for routers? May be necessary if
section 3 lists any modifications, not just clarifications.

editorial
---------
          Using IGMPv3 and MLDv2 For Source-Specific Multicast
 
==> s/For/for/

Specific Multicast (SSM) is a form of multicast in which a receiver is
required to specify both the network-layer address of the source and the
multicast destination address in order to receive multicast traffic.

==> s/multicast traffic/the multicast transmission/

source address.  As a result, SSM semantics will no longer be applied to
G by the router.

==> s/G/the multicast group address/

     Brian Haberman
     Caspian Networks
     [email-masked]

==> update the address, this email will bounce.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:32:30 +0200 (EET)

substantial
-----------

editorial
---------
 
==> s/For/for/

     Brian Haberman
     Caspian Networks
     [email-masked]