Subject: [magma] MRD discussion follow up

From: Jim Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 23:27:27 -0800

All,
	As a result of the presentation of  draft-ietf-magma-mrdisc-00.txt in 
the MAGMA meeting today, there seemed to be two major issues. The first 
was the removal of the option capability, the second, our "enhanced" 
security section.
	The concern over options focused on extensions to support MSNIP 
capabilities distribution and additional security data for 
authentication. A poll of the room indicated that there was (limited) 
support to re-introduce options to the protocol. The solutions proposed 
included:

1) Revert to the TLV option format from the previous rev of the spec, 
putting the Querier Interval and Robustness back into options.
2) Revert to the TLV option format from the previous rev of the spec, 
leaving the Querier Interval and Robustness values as fixed fields in 
the header, and define a pad option to use for testing.
3) Leave the spec as it is now, with the addition of language that 
specifies that any additional data beyond the fixed message length be 
ignored. Future extensions would then define the use of that additional 
data.

	The security concern was that we had no clear plan on how and when we 
were going to address the on-link security issue. SEND is near 
completion, and there's no reason the work on securing MRD using some 
of their models can't happen now. The (perceived ... no hum was taken) 
consensus was that we should take securing of MRD on as a work-item, 
but as a separate document, thus not blocking the progression of the 
MRD base spec.

	- Jim

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma