Subject: [magma] Source code for MLD proxy

From: "" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 03:05:56 -0500 (EST)

Hi All,

A general question: 
Why is MLD required in the first place, if we can tweak 
IGMPv2/v3 for IPv6 and also, does the MLD proxy help in acting as
a Gateway between a PIM and a non-PIM n/w ?
I am sort of confused about the role of a MLD proxy.
An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

I am also looking for some open source code on MLD proxy.
Please let me know if there are any.

Thanks,
Arut

_______________________________________________
Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
The most personalized portal on the Web!

_______________________________________________
magma mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/magma

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:51:58 +0100

> IGMPv2/v3 for IPv6 and also, does the MLD proxy help in acting as

I don't have a good answer for exactly why one didn't do something
closer to IGMP.

> An explanation would be greatly appreciated.

It's useful for minimal routers at the edge. One example might be
routers for the consumer market, like dirt cheap routers for the
home. Also, at least at the moment, there is no IPv6 PIM for Linux,
but there are at least two MLD proxy implementations.

> Please let me know if there are any.

See http://sourceforge.net/projects/ecmh/

There's also one from Christophe Jelger, jelger at dpt-info.u-strasbg.fr,
but I don't have a pointer to it.

See also post from Jeroen Massar about ecmh to this list a while ago.
I found e.g.
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/magma/current/msg00477.html

Stig

---

From: Stig Venaas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 10:51:58 +0100

Stig

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:46:15 -0500

> I don't have a good answer for exactly why one didn't do something

It is a lot closer to IGMP than it might look. :)  RFC 2710 is almost
a complete copy of IGMPv2.  The one primary difference, in my mind,
is the change in the granularity of the timer values in the packet.
Changing the Maximum Response Delay units to milliseconds makes timer
management easier.  And making the group management transport depend
on IPv6 for transport rather than IPv4 is necessary.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 06:46:15 -0500

Regards,
Brian