Subject: Meetng Summary

From: [email-masked] (Steve Batsell)
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 1995 12:43:00 -0500

Meeting Summary:

A mobile mesh network BOF has held December 4, 1995 at the second
afternoon session of the Dallas ietf meeting.

The following presentations were given:

Army Requirements for Mobile Mesh Networks
Sam Chamberlain - Army Research Laboratory

Reliable Broadcast in Mobile Mesh Networking
J.R. Cleveland -  Electrospace Systems, INC

Highly Mobile Networking in the Air Force
Larry Messina - AFC4A/TNBC

Mobile  Mesh Networking : Military Internet Issues
Joe Macker - Naval Research Laboratory

Architectural Considerations for Mobile Mesh Networking
M. Scott Corson - University of Maryland

The purpose of the presentations was to outline the current Department of
Defense requirements in mobile mesh networking. It was also to show the DOD
has immediate needs for mobile mesh networking currently not being
addressed by the ietf. There was an definite agreement among speakers that
1) there respective service has immediate requirements for mobile mesh
networks and 2) that all the services are currently fundingwork to either
use current ietf routing protocols [usually ospf] and to expand on current
routing protocols to build mobile mesh networks.

It was pointed out in the discussion portion of the meeting that
non-military commercial requirements were not emphaised enough. In
addition, the presentations discussed a much wider agenda in mobile mesh
networking than the proposed working group will address. This tended to
confuse some attending the BOF as the goal and scope of the mmnet working
group. The proposed working group will focus on dynamic unicast and
multicast routing protocols for mobile mesh networks. It was pointed out
that before a working group can be formed the scope of the working group
needs to be more focused with a much more precise definition of the
requirements for the routing protocols to be considered.

 As these were good comments, it was decided to work on the mailing list to
come to an agreement on the exact scope of the routing protocols to be
considered in the working group. Also non-miltary applications would be
emphaised more in the further. Members of the mailing list will be asked to
contribute in determining non-miltary applications as well. Finally it was
agreed to rewrite the draft working group charter to include these
changes and resubmit it to the routing area chair.

It was also pointed out in the BOF meeting that there are several
approaches proposed by ietf members attending the BOF that had not been
mentioned. Once the working group is officially formed, any proposed method
that meeting the requirements of scope of the working group will be
considered. An anonymous ftp site exists at mars.itd.nrl.navy.mil /mmnet.
A folder is availble for incoming papers and presentations on new
techniques to be considered in the working group. Also all vugraphs from
the BOF are availble in the bof_slides directory.

   _/     _/ _/_/_/_/ _/   Dr. Steve Batsell, Code 5521
   _/_/   _/ _/    _/ _/    Network Research and Simulation Section,
  _/ _/  _/ _/_/_/_/ _/     Naval Research Laboratory
 _/   _/_/ _/    _/ _/      Washington DC 20375-5337
_/     _/ _/     _/_/_/_/   [email-masked]
                           (202)767-3834/(202)767-1191 FAX