Subject: Final Agenda

From: Steve Batsell <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 1996 11:05:45 -0400

MMnet:

 I have decided not to move the meeting date. 
 Below is the final agenda.

Any questions or comments, please let me know.

Steve

==========================================================

Group Name:  Mobile Mesh Networks
Chair(s)     Stephen Batsell <[email-masked]>
             M.Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
             Joe Macker  <[email-masked]>

Monday, June 24 1930-2200
=========================

DESCRIPTION

A "mobile mesh" network is an autonomous system of mobile routers
connected 
by wireless links, the union of which form an arbitrary graph. The
routers 
are free to move randomly; thus, the network's wireless topology may
change 
rapidly and unpredictably. The mobile networks of interest here consist
of 
routers which are free to move about arbitrarily. These routers and the
end 
stations may be located in airplanes, ships, trucks, cars, even on
people as 
part of a wearable computer, and there may be multiple hosts per router.
In 
addition, these can be used in stationary situation such as emergency
sites, 
collaborative efforts using electronic notebooks, etc. where portability
and 
the self-organizing features of the mobile router technology are more 
desireable to current wireless LAN technology. 

Such networks are envisioned to have dynamic, often rapidly changing,
mesh 
topologies consisting of bandwidth-constrainted wireless links. These 
characteristics create a set of underlying assumptions for protocol
design 
which differ from those used for the higher speed, fixed topology
Internet.

The focus of the working group will be to develop both unicast and
multicast 
routing protocols that will operate efficiency in a mobile mesh
environment. 
The working group will also address issues that directly relate to the 
routing functionality such as interfacing to the link layer and
interaction 
with or integration of a resource reservation protocol such that the 
integrated services internetworking environment can be extended into the 
mobile domain. 

It is envision that a range of requirements will exist depending on the
use 
of the mobile network from a small 5-10 router system used for private 
intranetworks to large 10-50 router networks supporting several hundred
users
or more. The initial goal of the working group is to develop and
standardize 
both unicast and multicast protocols for a small less demanding private
intranet 
that will be linked to the Internet via a gateway. After successfully
reaching 
this goal, the working group will then address the case of a larger
mobile 
network will with a more heterogeneous set of user requirements.

DRAFT AGENDA

Topics                     -                          Speakers
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Group Overview
---------------
Overview of a Mobile Mesh Network Working Group -  Steve Batsell (ORNL) 
Will outline the Charter, objects and proposed 
schedule of the working group as well as an 
overview of the field.

Discussion of presented material

ad-hoc Networking Protocols
---------------------------
IBM ad-hoc networking protocol -  Charlie Perkins (IBM - Watson)

Dynamic Source Routing in Mobile Mesh Networks -   Dave Johnson (CMU)

Cambridge ad-hoc network protocol  -  C-K Toh (Cambridge University
Computer Laboratory)

UMD ad-hoc network protocol        -  M. Scott Corson (UMD)

User Problem areas
-------------------
Implementation issues in Mobile Nets                    -  Mike McMahon
(ARINC)  
Use of OSPF in the Tactical Environment:Lessons Learned -  Joe Ucles
(Mitre) 

Open Discussion on Proposed Working Group
---------------------

-- 
Steve Batsell, Network Research Group Leader
MS  6367, Bldg 6012, 
Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831
423-574-7401 (phone)
423-574-0680 (Fax)
[email-masked]
http://www.epm.ornl.gov/~sgb/net.html