Subject: revised charter

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 15:51:47 -0400 (EDT)

Everyone,

Here's a revised version of the charter for the proposed working group
which has been "scoped down" according to the discussion that occurred
during the BOF.  Note that the name for the proposed group has changed
slightly.

Any comments?

-Scott

*******************************************************************************

M. Scott Corson                                 Institute for Systems Research
[email-masked]                              A.V. Williams Bldg. (115)
Phone: 301-405-6630 (Rm. 2205 AVW)              University of Maryland     
Fax:   301-314-8586                             College Park, MD  20742

*******************************************************************************

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (mmnet) Charter

Chair(s)

* Stephen Batsell <[email-masked]>
* M. Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
* Joseph Macker   <[email-masked]>

Routing Area Director

* Joel Halpern    <[email-masked]>

Mailing List Information

* General Discussion:  [email-masked]
* To Subscribe: [email-masked]
        * In body: subscribe mmnet
* HomePage: http://tonnant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mmnet_home.html

Description of Working Group

A "mobile ad-hoc network" is an autonomous system of mobile routers (and
associated hosts) connected by wireless links--the union of which form an 
arbitrary graph. The routers are free to move randomly and organize 
themselves arbitrarily; thus, the network's wireless topology may change
rapidly and unpredictably.  Such a network may operate in a standalone 
fashion, or may be connected to the larger Internet.

The focus of the working group will be to standardize an intra-domain unicast 
routing protocol which efficiently reacts to topological changes while 
maintaining effective routing.  The goal is to support networks scaling 
up to hundreds of routers.  If this proves successful, future work may 
include development of other protocols to support additional routing 
functionality.

Goals and Milestones

Done June 96
        Hold BOF at the Montreal IETF Meeting. Provide an overview of 
        the proposed working group and the routing problem it intends to 
        address, describe difficulties with using existing routing protocols,
        and outline some of the proposed mobile ad-hoc routing protocols.

        Revise the goals and milestones based upon group discussion.  Reach 
        consensus on the appropriate scope of the charter

December 96
        Post as Internet-Drafts the proposed routing protocols.
        Provide detailed presentations of each submitted protocol.

		Post as an informational Internet-Drafts a discussion of mobile 
        ad-hoc networking and issues.

April 1997
        Obtain early performance results for the protocols
   
June 1997 
        Implement the various protocols and test
        
December 1997
        Reach consensus on a mobile, ad-hoc unicast routing protocol.

April 1998
        Document mobile ad-hoc routing protocol and submit to the IESG as a 
        proposed standard.