Subject: Call for Papers

From: Charlie Perkins <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 96 13:28:39 -0500

Dear Colleagues,

The following Call for Papers is also available on the Web, at
	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj/monet-cfp.html
A PostScript version of the Call for Papers is available at
	http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dbj/monet-cfp.ps

Please distribute this notice to anyone that you feel may be interested.

========================================================================

    Baltzer Science Publishers in cooperation with ACM announce a
      Special Issue of the Journal on Special Topics in Mobile
                 Networking and Applications (MONET)

                                  on

                  Mobile Networking in the Internet

                         with guest editors

                          Charles E. Perkins
                   IBM T.J. Watson Research Center

                           David B. Johnson
                      Carnegie Mellon University

 OVERVIEW:

 The continued exponential growth of the Internet, coupled with
 powerful new technology for wireless computing, has created the
 need for extensive development of protocols and techniques for
 handling wireless nodes as they move about and change their point
 of network attachment.  One major technological advance enabling
 mobile networking within the Internet has been Mobile IP, developed
 within the Internet Engineering Task Force (IETF), but this is
 only the beginning of the wave of changes needed to support nomadic
 Internet users.  Problems introduced by mobility have been identified
 at every level of the network protocol stack, and many innovations
 are needed to enable the full potential of untethered nodes within
 the Internet.
 
 SCOPE:

 This special issue will concentrate on the problems associated with
 mobile and wireless networking in the Internet, primarily at the
 network layer and above.  A representative sampling of topics is
 provided below:

        - Mobile IP
        - Registration and location management
        - Route optimization
        - Interactions between geographic and network locality
        - Mobile multicast protocols
        - Mobile location of services and resources
        - Transport layer (TCP, RTP) effects
        - Multimedia and QOS support
        - Internet protocols in a wireless ad hoc network
        - Application adaptation to mobility and changing links
        - Proxy architectures for Web and other services
        - Internet security issues
        - Analysis and simulation of mobile networking protocols
        - Mobile node traffic analysis and simulation

 SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:

 Authors should email an electronic Postscript copy of their paper to
 one of the guest editors by November 15, 1996.  Submissions should be
 limited to 20 double spaced pages, excluding figures, graphs, and
 illustrations.  If email submission is impossible, then six (6) copies
 of the paper (double-sided if possible) should be sent by the due date
 to one of the guest editors.

 PUBLICATION SCHEDULE:

        MANUSCRIPT DUE:            November 15, 1996
        ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION:   January 31, 1997
        FINAL MANUSCRIPT DUE:      March 31, 1997

 GUEST EDITORS:

        Charles E. Perkins
        Room H3-D34
        IBM T.J. Watson Research Center
        30 Saw Mill River Rd.
        Hawthorne, NY  10532
        Tel:   +1-914-784-7350
        Fax:   +1-914-784-6205
        Email: [email-masked]

        David B. Johnson
        Carnegie Mellon University
        Computer Science Department
        5000 Forbes Avenue
        Pittsburgh, PA  15213-3891
        Tel:   +1-412-268-7399
        Fax:   +1-412-268-5576
        Email: [email-masked]