Subject: Mobile Mesh networks and Ad hoc networking

From: Izhak Rubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 May 1997 15:16:10 -0700

May 3, 1997

Hi:
        I have been interested in reading the references and IETF plans
related to mobile mesh networks and ad hoc networking in your WEB site,
after being referred to it by Jim Freebersyser of ARO.
        We have found it useful to read about the routing algorithms and
techniques mentioned in your WEB data base.
        At my research group in the EE department at UCLA, we have initiated
a project investigating peer to peer mobile mesh networks.  One of our
approaches involves the investigation of mobile dynamic backbones for peer
to peer wireless networks.  We have started to investigate  networking
methods based on such architectures.  
        I am interested to keep abreast of your works in this area, and
would like to receive any recent material you have.  We have been publishing
over the last few years many papers on wireless networks, including the
underlying access control, call admission control, forward and reverese
signalling networks, locations areas, and wireless ATM networking methods.
        Please let me know as to whether you have any information of other
works related to mobile dynamic backbones.
        Best regards and many thanks,

        Izhak

        Professor Izhak Rubin
        Electrical engineering Department
        UCLA
        Tel.: (310)825-2326
       [email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Joseph P. Macker)
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 16:11:59 -0400

At  2:35 PM 5/6/97 -0500, Bevan N. Das wrote:
>The best general reference I can think of is the special issue of the
>Proceedings of the IEEE on packet radio networks, vol. 75, no. 1, Jan.
>1987.  It's a bit old, but the issues relevant to the design of packet
>radio networks are also relevant to ad-hoc networks, a.k.a. mobile mesh
>networks.  For example, the paper by Ephremides et al. uses a backbone of
>clusterheads and gateways.
>
That certainly is a classic.  I was about to respond on some NRL
references, but the original dynamic backbone work done at NRL is also
described in that issue.  Baker, et al have done a little more to integrate
QoS scheduling into that clustering backbone approach, unfortuntely there
is not a good journal reference for that more recent work but there are
several technical reports available for those interested.  Please contact
[email-masked] if you are interested.  BTW, the dynamic clustering
backbone with IP QoS extensions (guaranteed bandwidth service (e.g., highly
compressed voice) in addition to multiple priority datagram services) was
"prototype demonstrated" over low bandwidth wireless media in a recent NRL
project between 1993-1996. Off-backbone wireless routes were utilized when
possible to minimize the blocking effect of reservations on the backbone.  
cheers,
-joe