Subject: Re: Mobile Mesh networks and Ad hoc networking

From: "Bevan N. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 14:35:06 -0500

Vaduvur Bharghavan and I have done some work on minimizing the size of a
``mobile dynamic backbone'' by approximating a minimum connected dominating
set.  Our paper with our basic algorithm will be presented at ICC '97--a
draft is at http://geisel.csl.uiuc.edu/~das/icc.ps.  Bharghavan is out
this week, but he would be a better person to contact.

The best general reference I can think of is the special issue of the
Proceedings of the IEEE on packet radio networks, vol. 75, no. 1, Jan.
1987.  It's a bit old, but the issues relevant to the design of packet
radio networks are also relevant to ad-hoc networks, a.k.a. mobile mesh
networks.  For example, the paper by Ephremides et al. uses a backbone of
clusterheads and gateways.

Another reference, more current, is ``Multicluster, mobile, multimedia
radio network,'' by M. Gerla and J. T.-C. Tsai, in Wireless Networks vol.
1, no. 3, 1995, pp. 255-265.  (I would guess, though, that you already knew
this work, since Mario Gerla is in the Communication Networks Modeling and
Analysis group in the CS Department at UCLA.)

Bevan Das
[email-masked] / (217) 333-6124

---

From: Ram Ramanathan <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 May 1997 17:18:38 -0400

Those interested in routing in mobile multihop/mesh/ad hoc networks may
also find the following references interesting:

G. Lauer, "Packet Radio Routing", in Routing in Communications Networks
ed. Martha Steenstrup, Prentice-Hall, 1995.

S. Ramanathan and M. Steenstrup, "A survey of routing techniques for
mobile communications networks", ACM/Baltzer Mobile Networks and Applications
(MONET) 1 (1996), pp. 89-104.

The latter is part of a special issue on routing in mobile networks. The
paper also contains a large number of references to papers on packet radio 
networking.

-Ram.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Ram Ramanathan              Advanced Networking R & D 
                            BBN Systems and Technologies
                            10 Moulton Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

Phone : (617) 873-2736

INTERNET : [email-masked]

> Date: Tue, 6 May 1997 14:35:06 -0500
> From: "Bevan N. Das" <[email-masked]>
> Message-Id: <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> Subject: Re:  Mobile Mesh networks and Ad hoc networking
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Sender: [email-masked]
> Precedence: bulk
>