Subject: RE: WG ACTION: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

From: "De Reymaeker, Patrick" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 97 09:21:00 PDT

Please add the following address to the mailing list for general   
discussion on manet:

"[email-masked]"

regards,
Patrick
 ----------
From:  ietf-announce-request[SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:  donderdag 12 juni 1997 12:22
To:  IETF-Announce
Cc:  all-ietf
Subject:  WG ACTION:  Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)

A new working group has been formed in the Routing Area
of the IETF. For additional information, contact the Area Directors
or the WG Chair.

Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (manet)
 ------------------------------

 Chair(s):
     Scott Corson <[email-masked]>
     Joseph Macker <[email-masked]>

 Routing Area Director(s):
     Joel Halpern  <[email-masked]>

 Mailing lists:
     General Discussion:[email-masked]
     To Subscribe:      [email-masked]
         In Body:       subscribe manet
     Archive:

Description of Working Group:

A "mobile ad-hoc network" is an autonomous system of mobile routers (and
associated hosts) connected by wireless links--the union of which form an
arbitrary graph. The routers are free to move randomly and organize
themselves arbitrarily; thus, the network's wireless topology may change
rapidly and unpredictably.  Such a network may operate in a standalone
fashion, or may be connected to the larger Internet.

The focus of the working group will be to standardize an intra-domain
unicast routing protocol which efficiently reacts to topological changes
while maintaining effective routing.  The goal is to support networks
scaling up to hundreds of routers.  If this proves successful, future   
work
may include development of other protocols to support additional routing
functionality.

The working group will examine the security issues around this protocol.
They will consider the intended usage environments, and the threats that
are (or are not) meaningful within that environment.

 Goals and Milestones:

   Jul 97       Post as an informational Internet-Drafts a discussion of
mobile
                ad-hoc networking and issues.   

   Aug 97       Obtain early performance results for the protocols   

   Dec 97       Implement the various protocols and test   

   Apr 98       Reach consensus on a mobile, ad-hoc unicast routing   
protocol.

   Jul 98       Document mobile ad-hoc routing protocol and submit to the
IESG
                as a proposed standard, including security threat   
analysis.