Subject: Simulation parameters for comparative results?

From: "Bevan N. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:35:19 -0500

Hi,

I've had one nagging thought about the simulation results in the different
papers on routing in ad hoc networks (including our own).  As Park and
Corson noted in their TORA paper in Infocom '97: "what is important is the
protocol's average performance which is only obtainable from simulation."
However, there is no common ground to compare the simulation results from
different authors; it's like comparing apples and oranges.

Has there been discussion or conclusions regarding parameters for
simulation scenarios?  Some possibilities I can think of:

-network size
-network topology, such as average degree/connectivity of nodes, also
  any specific topologies
-physical considerations, such as area covered, transmission range,
  received power, bandwidth constraints.
-mobility model, such as the rate of change, the type of changes
  modelled--i.e., independent link changes vs. movement of nodes (so that
  link changes are NOT independent), the choice of static topology with 
  random failures vs. mobile topology with random movement

In summary, what would make a "good" simulation scenario that would
be a basis for comparison?  (in contrast to "something that we can
program").

Bevan
[email-masked]