Subject: Re: some preliminary papers?

From: "Bevan N. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 10:11:35 -0500

> From [email-masked] Mon Jul  7 00:52:17 1997
> To: [email-masked]
> From: Dave Johnson <[email-masked]>
> Subject: Re: some preliminary papers? 
> 
> >I attended the MANET BOF in Montreal, last year.  There were some very
> >interesting proposals presented.  Could some of the authors post URLs 
> >of where to get them.  Dave? Charlie?  Others whose names I forget?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >
> >Erik Guttman
> >Sun Microsystems, Inc.
> 
> 
> Erik,
> 
> Glad to hear of your interest in MANET.  The most complete description
> (so far) for the protocol I presented at the BOF is in a paper published
> in the book "Mobile Computing":
> 
>     David B. Johnson and David A. Maltz, "Dynamic Source Routing in
>     Ad Hoc Wireless Networks", in Mobile Computing, edited by Tomasz
>     Imielinski and Hank Korth, Chapter 5, pages 153-181, Kluwer
>     Academic Publishers, 1996.
> 
> A postscript copy of this paper, and all my other papers on mobile 
> networking, is available at http://www.monarch.cs.cmu.edu.  This
> is the homepage for the CMU Monarch Project on protocols for adaptive
> wireless and mobile networking, of which our Dynamic Source Routing
> protocol is a part.
> 
> 					Dave
> 

As a follow on to David Johnson's URL, below is a (long) bibliography
on related papers.  The more recent papers (1995 on) focus more on 
"ad hoc networks"; the older papers on "mobile packet radio networks".
While the two aren't exactly the same, the older papers discuss many
of the same issues of routing in a dynamic environment over a scarce
wireless channel.

Bevan Das
[email-masked]

==================

\begin{thebibliography}{99}

\bibitem[CE 95]{diffuse} M.~S.~Corson and A.~Ephremides, ``A distributed
routing algorithm for mobile wireless networks,'' {\em ACM J. Wireless
Networks}, {\bf 1}, 1 (1995) 61--81.

\bibitem[CMB 96]{mmnetRFC} S.~Corson, J.~Macker, and S.~Batsell,
``Architectural considerations for mobile mesh networking,'' at Internet DRAFT
RFC Version 2, May 1996, {\tt
http://tonnant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/mmnet/mmnetRFC.txt}.

\bibitem[DB 97]{mcds} B.~Das and V.~Bharghavan, ``Routing in ad-hoc
networks using minimum connected dominating sets,'' in {\em IEEE
International Conference on Communications} (ICC '97), (June 1997).

\bibitem[DSB 97]{mcds_hybrid} B.~Das, R.~Sivakumar, and V.~Bharghavan,
``Routing in ad-hoc networks using a virtual backbone,'' to appear in {\em
6th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks} (IC3N
'97), (Sept 1997) 1--20.

\bibitem[DD 87]{combat_prnet} B.~H.~Davies and T.~R.~Davies, ``The
application of packet switching techniques to combat net radio,'' {\em
Proceedings of the IEEE}, {\bf 75}, 1 (Jan 1987) 43--55.

\bibitem[DSB 89]{cong_prn} O.~S.~deSouza, P.~Sen, and R.~R.~Boorstyn,
``Congestion based routing in packet radio networks,'' in {\em Proceedings
of 1989 IEEE International Conference on Communications} (ICC '89), (June
1989) 1561--1565.

\bibitem[DRWT 96]{ssa} R.~Dube, C.~D.~Rais, K.-Y.~Wang, S.~K.~Tripathi,
``Signal stability based adaptive routing (SSA) for ad-hoc mobile
networks,'' Tech. rep. CS-TR-3646, UMIACS-TR-96-34, Dept. of Computer
Science, Univ.  of Maryland, College Park, (Sept 1996) 1--22.  (possibly
IEEE  Personal Communications, February 1997).

\bibitem[EWB 87]{pr_cluster} A.~Ephremides, J.~E.~Wieselthier, and
D.~J.~Baker, ``A design concept for reliable mobile radio networks with
frequency hopping signaling,'' {\em Proceedings of the IEEE}, {\bf 75}, 1
(Jan 1987) 56--73.

\bibitem[Ga 93]{diffuse_loopfree} J.~J.~Garcia-Luna-Aceves, ``Loop-free
routing using diffusing computations,'' {\em IEEE/ACM Transactions on
Networking}, {\bf 1}, 1 (Feb 1993) 130--141.

\bibitem[GT 95]{clusterhead} M.~Gerla and J.~T.-C.~Tsai, ``Multicluster,
mobile, multimedia radio network,'' {\em ACM J. Wireless Networks}, {\bf 1},
3 (1995) 255--265.

\bibitem[GK 97]{STARA} P.~Gupta and P.~R.~Kumar, ``A system and traffic
dependent adaptive routing algorithm for ad hoc networks,'' manuscript,
Mar 1997, 15 pp, (Univ. of Illinois).

\bibitem[HS 84]{prn_survey} J.~J.~Hahn and D.~M.~Stolle, ``Packet radio
network routing algorithms:  a survey,'' {\em IEEE Communications Magazine},
{\bf 22}, 11 (Nov 1984) 41--47.

\bibitem[Ha 96]{Hall96} D.~A.~Hall, ``Tactical Internet System Architecture
for Task Force XXI," {\em Proceedings of the Tactical Communications
Conference}, Ft. Wayne, Indiana, May 1996.

\bibitem[HY 90]{opt_prn} R.~L.~Hamilton, Jr. and H.-C.~Yu, ``Optimal
routing in multihop packet radio networks,'' in {\em Proceedings of
IEEE Conference on Computer Communications} (Infocom '90), (June 1990)
389--396.

\bibitem[Hu 91]{topo_prn} L.~Hu, ``A novel topology control for
multihop packet radio networks,'' in {\em Proceedings of 1991 IEEE
Conference on Computer Communications} (Infocom '91), (Apr 1991)
1084--1093.

\bibitem[JM 96]{dyn_source} D.~B.~Johnson and D.~A.~Maltz, ``Dynamic source
routing in ad hoc wireless networks,'' in {\em Mobile Computing}, (ed. T.~
Imielinski and H. Korth), Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1996.

\bibitem[JT 87]{darpa_prnet} J.~Jubin and J.~D.~Tornow, ``The DARPA
packet radio network protocols,'' {\em Proceedings of the IEEE}, {\bf 75},
1 (Jan 1987) 21--32.

\bibitem[KK 77]{hier_size} L.~Kleinrock and F.~Kamoun, ``Hierarchical
routing for large networks:  performance evaluation and optimization,''
{\em Computer Networks}, {\bf 1}, (1977) 155--174.

\bibitem[KCVP 95]{adhoc_cluster} P.~Krishna, M.~Chatterjee, N.~H.~Vaidya,
and D.~K.~Pradhan, ``A cluster-based approach for routing in ad-hoc
networks,'' In {\em Proceedings of the Second USENIX Symposium on Mobile
and Location-Independent Computing}, (1995) 1--10.

\bibitem[La 95]{prn_book} G.~S.~Lauer, ``Packet-radio routing,'' Chapter 11
in {\em Routing in Communications Networks} (ed. M.~Steenstrup), Englewood
Cliffs, NJ:  Prentice-Hall, 1995, 351--396.

\bibitem[Mi 89]{wiretap} D.~L.~Mills, ``Wiretap: an experimental
multiple-path routing algorithm,'' {\em Computer Communications Review},
{\bf 19}, 1 (Jan 1989) 85--98.

\bibitem[MG 95]{wpfa} S.~Murthy and J.~J.~Garcia-Luna-Aceves, ``A routing
protocol for packet radio networks,'' in {\em Proceedings of 1st Annual ACM
International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking}, (1995)
86--95.

\bibitem[Pa 91b]{dom_set_ub2} A.~Parekh, ``Analysis of a greedy heuristic
for finding small dominating sets in graphs,'' {\em Information Processing
Letters}, {\bf 39}, (1991) 237--240.

\bibitem[Pa 91c]{MDS_rout} A.~Parekh, ``Finding small dominating sets
in stationless mobile packet radio networks,'' Tech. Rep. LIDS-P-2050,
Laboratory for Information and Decision Systems, M.I.T., Cambridge, MA,
1991, 19 pp.

\bibitem[PC 97]{tora_infocom} V.~D.~Park and M.~S.~Corson, ``A highly
adaptive distributed routing algorithm for mobile wireless networks,''
in {\em Proceedings of 1997 IEEE Conference on Computer Communications}
(Infocom '97), (Apr 1997) 9 pp.

\bibitem[PB 94]{dsdv} C.~E.~Perkins and P.~Bhagwat, ``Highly dynamic
destination-sequenced distance-vector routing (DSDV) for mobile
computers,'' {\em Computer Communications Review}, {\bf 24}, 1 (ACM SIGCOMM
1994) 234--244.

\bibitem[SW 87]{future_prnet} N.~Shacham and J.~Westcott, ``Future
directions in packet radio architectures and protocols,'' {\em Proceedings
of the IEEE}, {\bf 75}, 1 (Jan 1987) 83--99.

\bibitem[SD 97]{sp2flood} P.~Shoubridge and A.~Dadej, ``Hybrid routing
in dynamic networks,'' in {\em Proceedings of 1997 IEEE International
Conference on Communications} (ICC '97), June 1997, 1381--1386.

\bibitem[To 96]{adhoc_assoc} C.-K.~Toh, ``A novel distributed routing
protocol to support ad-hoc mobile computing,'' in {\em Proceedings of 15th
IEEE Annual International Phoenix Conference on Computers and
Communications}, (1996) 480--486.

\bibitem[TRTN 89]{hier_routing} W.~T.~Tsai, C.~V.~Ramamoorthy, W.~K.~Tsai,
and O.~Nishiguchi, ``An adaptive hierarchical routing protocol,''
{\em IEEE Transactions on Computers}, {\bf 38}, 8 (Aug 1989) 1059--1075.

\bibitem[Ts 88]{landmark} P.~F.~Tsuchiya, ``The Landmark hierarchy: a
new hierarchy for routing in very large networks,'' {\em ACM SIGCOMM '88},
(1988) 35--42.

\bibitem[WBE 91]{neur_net_prn} J.~E.~Wieselthier, C.~M.~Barnhart, and
A.~Ephremides, ``A neural network approach to routing in multihop radio
networks,'' in {\em Proceedings of 1991 IEEE Conference on Computer
Communication} (Infocom '91), (Apr 1991) 1074--1083.

\end{thebibliography}

\end{document}