Subject: Terminology

From: Chip Elliott <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 09:47:21 -0400

Charlie et al,

Nice job on the terminology. Here's another few cents'
worth (no offense if they're rejected!):

* waveform

* power control

* pathloss

* spatial reuse

* link-level (or MAC-level) acknowledgement

* scenario = (laydown, pathloss matrix, mobility, traffic)

* beacon

In our group, we differentiate "potential neighbors" from "neighbors",
since in densely populated radio nets, the network algorithms may not
choose to use every potential neighbor as a forwarding agent, ie,
it may select only the "better" potential neighbors to act as neighbors.

As another aside, we use the terms "radio broadcast", "radio unicast",
and "radio multicast" to talk about link-level features, and "network..."
to talk about the network-level features. Thus a radio broadcast will
reach only potential neighbors, but a network broadcast will reach
all nodes in the net.

Cheers,

-- Chip

---

From: "Bora A. Akyol" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1997 10:08:39 -0400

Another potential term is fairness as in being considerate of remaining power
levels of your neighbors. I think the routing algorithms should
consider quality of the radio link and the battery level of your neighbor
while making a decision. If I have very little power left, I would
rather use it for remaining connected then routing someone else's packets if
another route is available.

-- 
Bora Akyol
BBN Technologies
GTE Internetworking