Subject: Ad-hoc networking with the ETSI Hiperlan/1 standard

From: "Groten, D." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 18:25:12 +0100

Hi all,

I recently stumbled across the Hiperlan/1 standard (ETSI EN 300 652) for
wireless networks, and noticed that this standard supports multi-hop routing
in an ad-hoc network. This standard defines its own layer model, PHY, CAC
and MAC layers which cover only the lowest two layers (physical and link) in
the OSI model. It includes a routing algorithm (including multi-hop) so that
the whole Hiperlan/1 network essentially behaves as an Ethernet and one can
put IP over it. 

My question is: What kind of routing approach is used in this standard? Can
it be compared to any of the routing approaches that are considered by the
MANET working group, which are mostly concerned with routing on the IP
(network) layer? I would be glad to hear of any publications/references
covering this subject.

Note: To prevent misunderstanding, I want to stress that I am talking here
about Hiperlan Type 1, and not about any of the other Hiperlan work in
progress (Hiperlan/2, HiperAccess or HiperLink) which has nothing to do with
mobile ad-hoc networking.

Thank you in advance,

Dirk.

Dr. D. Groten
KPN Research
P. O. Box 421
2260 AK Leidschendam
The Netherlands
Tel. +31 70 3325433

---

From: "M. Scott Corson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:53:05 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 29 Mar 2000, Groten, D. wrote:

The layer 2 subnet routing approach of Hiperlan/1 has been proposed
for use at layer 3 in the IETF and is named Optimized Link State
Routing (OLSR)...see...

draft-ietf-manet-olsr-01.txt

-scott

> mobile ad-hoc networking.

*******************************************************************************

M. Scott Corson                                 Institute for Systems Research
[email-masked]                              A.V. Williams Bldg. (115)
Phone: 301-405-6630 (Rm. 2205 AVW)              University of Maryland     
Fax:   301-314-8586                             College Park, MD  20742

*******************************************************************************