Subject: Re: MANET application scenarioes

From: Nitin H Vaidya <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 09:45:34 -0600 (CST)

>> From [email-masked] Mon Mar  6 09:39:38 2000
  >>
  >> Some interesting observations.  I would add that even in some slow moving
  >> networks ... topologies may be more dynamic that motion would indicate
  >> (e.g., power cycling, urban multipath).  Meshed rooftops could be similar.
  >> Just an additional thought for consideration.  
  >> 
  >> Dynamics are motion/range relative and I think low power, inexpensive
  >> micronets could be another interesting area.  Small range, low power
  >> provides an interesting perspective from the typical macro mobility vision
  >> we like to talk about.  (Batteries don't follow Moore's law) so there is
  >> operational incentive to go here for some applications.  So I am not sure
  >> things have to move fast (on macro level) for topologies to be moderately
  >> dynamic.
  >>
  >> I could see this being a big issue for power-conserving robotics
  >> applications, home networking, wearable computing, etc.

Agreed. I guess it is worth clarifying, as you note, that speed should
be considered relative to transmission range of the devices -- I guess 
rate of topology change may be a better metric.

- nitin

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 10:56:55 -0500

>rate of topology change may be a better metric.

Agreed. And one might tradeoff moderate increases to the expected rate of
topology change for increased energy conservation and/or increased wireless
data rates when actually deploying a network or new technology (or an
algorithm might do this dynamically..but thats another story).  

Reasonable commercial and operational incentives to consider.

-joe