Subject: Re: Stable Linux MANET Implementations?

From: "J. Noel Chiappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 16:20:24 -0500

> From: Mary Baker <[email-masked]>

I'm mostly replying to the part below, but while I'm here, I'll catch
the original point...

    >> A reply that suggests v6 is a long way away. However, everyone said
    >> that about computers having 100 MB/ram ... Given the current
    >> congestion of the numbering space in IPv4, and that IPv6 stacks do
    >> exist, a shift to v6 is imminent.

The analogy to computers with more memory is fallacious. Hardware with more
capacity always does get deployed (although I'm still waiting for bubble
memory :-), but alternative software is a different matter.

Some of us have been around networking long enough to remember the exact same
things being said about the ISO stack replacing TCP/IP - and for exactly the
same reason - "the sky is falling, IPv4 is running out of space". (Which it
is, just very slowly - see http://moat.nlanr.net/IPaddrocc/18monthSequel/).
The ISO stack, of course, has now joined Kruschev on the ash-heap of history.
Lots and lots of very clued people are predicting the same for IPv6, too.

    > Those interested in this topic might like to look at
    >    http://www.dsg.stanford.edu/papers/triad/triad.html
    > This is a project called TRIAD going on in David Cheriton's group at
    > Stanford, and it addresses some of the worries people have about IPv6
    > deployability. It even has a section in it about perceived
    > deployability issues. They present what looks like an interesting
    > alternative that is, in a sense, already taking place.

Let me say briefly that although I think Cheriton's analysis of the problem
with IPv6 is very good, I'm less certain that his proposed mechanism is a
good idea, and even less certain it's going to be adopted.

	Noel

---

From: Mary Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 17:56:04 -0800

Hi Everyone,

I've been reminded that the manet mailing list isn't the right forum
for a discussion of IPv6 deployability.  This is quite true!  My apologies
for bringing up the topic on this list.  I know there are a lot of strong,
interesting, and different opinions out there, but replies or related
information should be sent to me specifically rather than the whole mailing
list.  I'll keep a digest of the info I receive for anyone who requests it by
sending email to me.

Thanks very much,
Mary
---
Mary Baker			email: [email-masked]
Gates Computer Science 4A	http://mosquitonet.stanford.edu/~mgbaker
Stanford University		phone: +1 650 725-3711
Stanford, CA  94305-9040	fax: +1 650 725-2588