Subject: OptiComm 2000 Info, Call for Papers and Industry Participation

From: Gaoxi Xiao <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2000 10:29:43 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Colleagues,

Below please find (1) the call for papers, (2) opportunities
for industry participation, and (3) the current conference
program for OptiComm 2000.  Information is included on
technical sessions, panels, tutorials, demonstrations, exhibits,
sponsorship, and speakers.

Please accept our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this
announcement.

We would appreciate if you could please distribute the information
to your group and other individual(s)/group(s) who may be interested. 

Regards,
Gaoxi (Kevin) Xiao
Publicity co-chair
Optical Networking and Communcations Conference 

------------------------------------------------------------------
                          CALL FOR PAPERS

                           OptiComm 2000
           Optical Networking and Communications Conference
                         October 22-26, 2000
                           Richardson, TX

                          www.opticomm.org
                    
                           Sponsored by:
                               SPIE 

                    Technically co-sponsored by:
                    IEEE Communications Society

                        In-cooperation with:
                            ACM SIGCOMM
                                and
 The Center for Advanced Telecommunications Systems and Services (CATSS)
               at the University of Texas, Dallas

                      Platinum Level Sponsors:
                              Tellium
                          Sorrento Networks
                               Lucent 

                    Submission Deadline: May 30, 2000

SCOPE

Emerging optical technologies, together with the rapid growth of the
Internet, are fueling an increasing amount of research in the field of 
optical networks.  A new optical network layer is evolving which focuses 
on providing advanced optical capabilities, such as optical
reconfiguration, 
wavelength provisioning, and all-optical protection and restoration.  New 
network protocols and architectures, in local, metropolitan, and long-haul
environments, must be developed in order to fully utilize this emerging 
optical layer, and to create an efficient optical network that may
provide a wide variety of services to end users.  This conference 
provides a forum for researchers and developers from universities and 
industry to openly exchange information and to discuss the technical and 
commercial development of optical network technologies, architectures, 
protocols, and applications.  

Topics:

Papers are solicited in all research and applied areas related to
optical networking including, but not limited to:

   * IP over WDM
   * optical switching technologies
   * optical protection and restoration
   * network management and control
   * optical resource provisioning
   * quality of service (QoS) in optical networks
   * optical WDM and TDM networks
   * architectures and protocols 
   * optical network applications
   * optical infrastructures
   * network performance
   * optical networking standards

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Authors are invited to submit full papers of up to 20 pages. 
Accepted papers will appear in the conference proceedings, and 
papers of particular merit will be selected for journal publication.  
Student travel grants will be awarded for the top student papers.
Extended abstracts of up to 5 pages are solicited for presentation 
in poster sessions.  Submissions should be submitted electronically
in Postscript or PDF format to [email-masked].  

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission deadline:        May 30, 2000
Acceptance notification:    July 7, 2000
Final manuscript due:       August 7, 2000

PANEL AND TUTORIAL PROPOSALS

Additional proposals are solicited for panel and tutorial sessions. 
Panel proposals should be directed to [email-masked], and tutorial 
proposals should be directed to [email-masked].  Proposals 
should be limited to 3 pages.

EXHIBIT SPACE AND DEMONSTRATAION PROPOSALS

Exhibit and demo space will be available at OptiComm.  10' x 10' 
exhibit spaces are available for $1000, and table-top exhibit spaces 
are available for $750.  Proposals for demonstrations are welcome.
Please contact [email-masked] for details.

CORPORATE SPONSORSHIP OPPORTUNITIES

For information on how to become a corporate supporter please contact Don
Montgomery, The University of Texas at Dallas, P.O.Box 830688 MS:EC-33, 
Richardson, TX 75083, Tel: (214) 403-4694, e-mail: [email-masked];
or contact Chunming Qiao at [email-masked].

HOTEL AND REGISTRATION

Hotel and registration information may be found on the conference web
site (www.opticomm.org).  To guarantee corporate hotel rates, it is
recommended that attendees reserve their rooms by the early registration
deadline of October 1, 2000.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         ORGANIZING COMMITTEE

General Chair:           
   Imrich Chlamtac, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Technical Program Chair: 
   Jason Jue, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Industry Program Chair:  
   Nasir Ghani, Sorrento Networks
   [email-masked]

Tutorials Chair:         
   Krishna Sivalingam, Washington State University
   [email-masked]

Panels Chair:            
   Byrav Ramamurthy, University of Nebraska - Lincoln
   [email-masked]

Workshops Chair:
   George Rouskas, North Carolina State University
   [email-masked]

Industry Liaisons:         
   Chunming Qiao, SUNY Buffalo
   [email-masked]

   Don Montgomery, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Publicity Co-Chairs:     
   Gaoxi (Kevin) Xiao, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

   Hakki Candan Cankaya, Alcatel
   [email-masked]

Local Chair:
   Gheorghe Spiride, Nortel Networks
   [email-masked]

Exhibits Chair:
   Sandeep Dilwali, Alcatel
   [email-masked]

Web-Site Chair:
   Gergely Zaruba, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Treasurer:
   Stephen Gibbs, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Registration Co-Chairs:
   Marco Tacca, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

   Luca Valcarenghi, University of Texas at Dallas
   [email-masked]

Program Committee:       
   Joseph Bannister, ISI, University of Southern California
   Daniel Blumenthal, University of California, Santa Barbara
   Vincent Chan, MIT
   Joseph Cook, MCI/Worldcom   
   Debasish Datta, Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India
   Piet Demeester, University of Ghent, Belgium
   Mark Karol, Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies 
   Leonid Kazovsky, Stanford
   Bhumip Khasnabish, GTE
   Bo Li, Univ. of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
   Guifang Li, University of Central Florida
   Marco Ajmone Marsan, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
   Francesco Masetti, Alcatel
   Eytan Modiano, MIT
   Biswanath Mukherjee, University of California, Davis
   Fabio Neri, Politecnico di Torino, Italy
   Achille Pattavina, Politecnico di Milano, Italy
   Chunming Qiao, SUNY Buffalo
   Bill St. Arnaud, Canarie Inc.
   Abhijit Sengupta, University of South Carolina
   Arun Somani, Iowa State University
   David Su, NIST
   Suresh Subramaniam, George Washington University
   Alan Willner, University of Southern California
   Harmen R. van As, Vienna Univ. of Technology
   Yijun Xiong, Alcatel
   Zhensheng Zhang, Sorrento Networks

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                         OPTICOMM 2000
                  PRELIMINARY CONFERENCE PROGRAM

Sunday, October 22 - Monday, October 23
---------------------------------------

TUTORIALS:

Introduction to Optical Networking
Instructor: Mari Maeda, Corporation for National Research Initiative

Optical Access Networks
Instructor: Eytan Modiano, MIT

Optical Layer Survivability
Instructor: Ori Gerstel, Xros

Labeled Optical Burst Switching and IP/WDM Integration
Instructors: Chunming Qiao, SUNY Buffalo; Nasir Ghani, Sorrento Networks 

Performance Evaluation/Ring Networks
Instructor: Suresh Subramaniam, George Washington University

Role of Wavelength Conversion, Conversion Placement,and Multifibers as 
Alternatives to Conversion
Instructor: Arun Somani, Iowa State University

Tuesday, October 24 - Wednesday, October 25
-------------------------------------------

KEYNOTE TALKS:

The Pathway to the All Optical Network
Richard Barcus, President, Tellium

Evolution of Metro Optical Networks
Dr. Xin Cheng, CEO, Sorrento Networks

Tim Sullivan, VP Optical Area Networking, Lucent Technologies

TECHNICAL SESSIONS:

There will be 6-8 technical sessions covering research in areas such
as routing and wavelength assignment, network control and management, 
protection and restoration, optical components and devices, and 
simulation tools for optical networks.

PANEL SESSIONS:

Title:       Carriers' and Vendors' IP over DWDM/Optical Cross-Connect 
             Trials and Plans
Moderator:   John Fee
Description: Recent laboratory research and development of DWDM components 
             and systems, and optical switches and Optical Cross-Connect 
             platforms have begun to make optical networking a reality. 
             This panel highlights recent carriers' and vendors' IP over 
             DWDM/Optical Cross-Connect trials and future deployment 
             plans. 

Title:       Optical networks and the next generation computer 
             pplications
Moderator:   Bodo Parady, Sun Microsystems
Description: The goal of this panel is to illuminate the requirements 
             posed to optical networks by end users and computer system 
             manufacturers.  The long term goal is to align all sides at 
             the computer and optical network needs. At some level, to 
             deal with the computer to optical network interface needs 
             consideration. The optical network sets requirements on 
             computers to deal with the higher speeds. This in turn will 
             likely mean that optical networks will need to behave more 
             like computer interconnects than networks. 

Title:       Metro Telecom Markets and Technologies
Moderator:   Rohit Sharma, Optical Networks
Description: SONET, since its introduction in late 80's, has been the 
             dominant standard for transport of voice and data services. 
             In today's telecom networks, esp. in the metropolitan areas, 
             high bandwidth data services such as Gigabit Ethernet and 
             Fibre Channel are more efficiently carried in their native 
             format directly over fiber networks.  The rapid adoption 
             of these protocols and services utilizing these protocols 
             demands a flexible, dynamic, and service-transparent optical 
             transport layer in metro networks. The task of engineering 
             metro optical networks becomes even more challenging with 
             the expected introduction of 10 Gigabit Ethernet and higher 
             rate Fibre Channel solutions. Representatives from leading 
             optical networking companies, carriers and communications 
             solution providers, as well as leading analysts from the 
             investment community and venture capital firms will 
             participate in a discussion to evaluate the challenges posed 
             by the new requirements placed on the metro networks and the 
             opportunities available to companies delivering new 
             technologies and solutions in this vibrant market. 

Title:       The Optical Value Proposition: What Do Investors Want?
Moderator:   Matthew G. Rigby, Gerson Lehrman Group
Description: An increasing demand for bandwidth, accelerating innovation 
             in optics to meet that demand, and a robust investment 
             environment are combining to form incredible value for 
             companies, investors and customers in the optical industry. 
             Start-ups in this field are popping up all over the country, 
             and entirely new geographical corridors of innovation (such 
             as Richardson) are developing rapidly.  Investors are having 
             a difficult time staying on top of these developments.  They 
             must first find these new companies (or vice versa), quickly 
             understand the market opportunity and the technology, get to 
             know the team and perform the necessary due diligence, and 
             coordinate the transaction.  Entrepreneurs are often now 
             looking for more than just money for their start-up. They 
             want very high quality financial, legal and strategic advice.
             In this complicated optical industry environment, for what 
             are investors looking when they assess public and private 
             companies? How do they look at the technologies, the people 
             involved, and the problems being solved?  What do they want 
             to see in a potential distribution channel?  How do they 
             value relationships?  These and other related issues will be 
             covered in this panel session. 

EXHIBITS AND DEMOS:

A number of leading-edge companies will be displaying their products 
at OptiComm.  Hardware and software demonstrations by research agencies
and institutions are also planned.  For information on exhibit and demo
space, please contact Sandeep Dilwali ([email-masked]).

Thursday, October 26
--------------------

INDUSTRY WATCH: TECHNOLOGY, MARKET, & BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES

Opening Remarks: Nasir Ghani, Senior Architect, Sorrento Networks Inc.

Session 1: Optical Component Technologies
Session Chair: Jeff Montgomery, Chief Executive Officer, ElectroniCast
Speakers:
  Jeff Montgomery, Chief Executive Officer, Electronicast 
  Hava Volterra, Vice President Marketing and Business Development, 
                 Cyoptics

Session 2: Access Networks 
Session Chair: Prabhu Kavi, Director of Product Management, Tenor Networks
Speakers:
  Prahbu Kavi, Director of Product Management, Tenor Networks
  Matt Hoffman, Senior Product Manager, Appian Communications,
  Steve Hersey, Director of Technical Marketing, Quatum Bridge
  Bruce Miller, Vice President of Engineering, Astral Point Communications

Session 3: Metro Networks 
Chair: Daniel Awduche, Distinguished Technical Member, UUNET Technologies
Speakers:
  Baksheesh Ghuman, Vice President Marketing, Sorrento Networks Inc.
  Daniel Awduche, Distinguished Technical Member, UUNET Technologies
  Ted Rado, Director of Marketing, Alidian Networks
  Rohit Sharma, VP Optical Hardware Development, Optical Networks Inc.

Session 4: Wide Area Networks
Chair:  Tom Ciaccia, Director of Network Architecture, Lucent Technologies
Speakers:
  Tom Ciaccia, Director of Network Architecture, Lucent Technologies
  Greg Bernstein, Director of Software Engineering, Ciena
  Rajish Puranik, Senior Product Manager, Sycamore Networks
  Vinai Sirkay, Director of Business Development, Vivace Networks
  Zouheir Mansourati, Director, Product Line Management, OPTera Packet 
	Solutions, Nortel Networks