Subject: Broadcast ID

From: SSDP143 <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:38:08 +0300 (EET DST)

we  are a group of 3 students at ITI - Egypt, trying to get into the AODV
thing , well we could figure some inconsistency regards using the
Broadcast ID, and here is what we see:
(draft-ietf-manet-aodv-05.txt)
1-(section 4.)the Broadcast ID definition specifies that the Broadcast Id
combined with the source node's IP address, UNIQUElY identifys the
particular route request, 
here the word PARTICULAR did not show exactly if we are talking about the
a PARTICULAR DESTINATION or this PARTICULAR RREQ message., yet that's not
the big problem though.

2- (section 9.2) talking about generating RREQ messages; it was stated
that " The Broadcast ID field is incremented by one from the last broadcast
ID used by the current node FOR THE SAME DESTINATION"
which means that the source is keeping track of Broadcast IDs he sent to
each destination, this make it available to have 2 RREQ with the same
source IP address and Broadcast ID, yet different Destinations, this make
s us understand (the previous declaration of Broadcast ID) as for
PARTICULAR DESTINATION , rather than PARTICULAR RREQ....

still one more point...
3-(section 9.3)on determining if a node would forward RREQ messages, it
checks if a similar message was received before or not, it makes its
decision based only upon the "source IP, Broadcast ID" combination, which
clearly shows that here the "source IP, and Broadcast ID" combination  
alone , can UNIQUELY determine a PARTICULAR RREQ message, rather than RREQ
message for a particular destination.

We hope we had explained what we mean in a clear way.

Best regards for all,

Azza 
Hany
Morcos

---

From: "Samir R. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 13:34:41 -0400

Hi,

<source IP address, broadcast id> can uniquely identify a particular route
request, assuming that the broadcast id is incremented for each route
request.

One alternative is to increment broadcast id on a per-destination basis and
use <source IP address, destination IP address, broadcast id> to uniquely
identify requests.

Any one technique would be fine. There may be some inconsistency in the
draft text in this regard. We will fix it in the next iteration. Thanks for
your comments.

Samir

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked]
>[mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of SSDP143
>Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2000 5:38 AM
>To: mobile adhoc group
>Subject: Broadcast ID
>
>
>