Subject: MobiCom 2000: Call for Participation

From: Samir Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 15:21:45 -0400 (EDT)

ANNOUNCEMENT AND CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

                             MobiCom 2000

            The Sixth Annual International Conference on
                   Mobile Computing and Networking
                        August 6 - 11,  2000

             Seaport Hotel at World Trade Center Boston
                      Boston, Massachusetts, USA

       THE COMPLETE ADVANCE PROGRAM AND REGISTRATION INFORMATION 
                            ARE AVAILABLE AT              
            ----------------------------------------------
            http://www.research.telcordia.com/mobicom2000/
            ----------------------------------------------

                      Sponsored by ACM SIGMOBILE
            In cooperation with ACM SIGCOMM and SIGMETRICS; 
    IEEE Communications Society; the USENIX Association; the IEE (UK);
    the IEICE and IPSJ (Japan); the KICS (Korea); and the IFIP WG 6.3

           With support from IBM Research (Platinum supporter), 
    HP Laboratories (Platinum supporter), Nokia (Gold supporter) and 
             AT&T Laboratories Cambridge (Gold supporter)

CONFERENCE HIGHLIGHTS
---------------------

o  Keynote Address:
   
   "Sentient Computing: The Interface is Everywhere," by Andy Hopper,
   Professor, University of Cambridge, and Managing Director, AT&T
   Laboratories Cambridge.

o  Technical Sessions: 
   
   Twenty-eight technical papers will be presented describing
   previously unpublished research on a wide variety of topics in
   mobile computing and wireless networking, including prototype
   systems and networks, location support and data dissemination,
   packet scheduling and channel allocation, mobile internetworking,
   data management in mobile systems, and routing for ad hoc
   networks. Papers in a special session will challenge the community
   with new technologies and visionary applications. This year's
   conference received the largest number of paper submissions ever,
   resulting in a highly selective technical program.

o  Panels: 
  
   We have organized two panels on timely issues with panelists who
   are passionate about these topics.

   P1: Comm'n Sense: Wireless Sensor Networks 
       (Moderator: Deborah Estrin, UCLA and USC/ISI)
   P2: The Future Wireless Internet: Gazing Into the Crystal Ball 
       (Moderator: Armando Fox, Stanford University)
    
o  Tutorials: 

   There will be eight tutorials on cutting-edge topics:

   T1: Mobile IP for Current and Future Internet
       (David B. Johnson, CMU and Rice University)
   T2: Database Management Systems and Mobile Computing
       (Wang-Chien Lee, GTE Labs, Sandeep K.S. Gupta and Pradeep
        Srimani, Colorado State University)
   T3: Personal Area Networking Over Bluetooth
       (Pravin Bhagwat, AT&T Labs Research)
   T4: Service Discovery and Device Cooperation
       (Golden Richard III, University of New Orleans)
   T5: Energy Efficiency in Mobile Computing and Networking
       (Mani Srivastava, UCLA)
   T6: Mobile Voice over IP
       (Prathima Agrawal, Telcordia, Parmesh Ramanathan, University of 
        Wisconsin, and Cormac J. Sreenan, University College Cork)
   T7: Mobile Ad Hoc Networks: Routing, MAC and Transport Issues
       (Nitin Vaidya, Texas A&M University)
   T8: Shaping the User Experience for Handheld Computing
       (Phillip B. Shoemaker, Palm Inc.)

o  Research Demos and Exhibits: 
  
   The conference will also feature research demos from academic and
   industry research groups as well as the newest cutting edge
   products and services from a wealth of companies.

o  Workshops: 

   Tackling the dominant issues of the day, the following workshops
   will allow extended considerations of particular topics.

   - Dial-M:  Discrete Algorithms and Methods for Mobile Computing 
              and Communications
   - WoWMoM:  Wireless Mobile Multimedia
   - MSWiM:   Modeling Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile 
              Systems
   - MobiHOC: Mobile Ad Hoc Networking and Computing

REGISTRATION
------------

The MobiCom 2000 web pages have all the conference registration and 
hotel reservation specific information:

   http://www.research.telcordia.com/mobicom2000/

Important Dates:
   July 7,  2000 --  Discounted hotel reservation deadline.
   July 15, 2000 --  Early conference registration deadline.

Don't delay -- register today for MobiCom 2000. Come, celebrate the 
wireless revolution and its convergence with the Internet, on Boston's 
historic waterfront. It is THE conference to attend. We look forward to 
seeing you in Boston.