Subject: Re: flooding

From: Katia Obraczka <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2000 11:10:06 -0700 (PDT)

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 18:19:00 -0400 (EDT)
   From: Dmitri Deshun Perkins <[email-masked]>
   MIME-Version: 1.0
   Content-Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=US-ASCII
   Sender: [email-masked]
   Precedence: bulk

   Can anyone comment on the relative performance of "flooding" 
   as a routing algorithm in ad hoc networks? Have any studies
   been done that discuss when(under what conditions) it might 
   be advantageous to simply use flooding(at least for control
   pkts)?

   Please point me to any papers that discuss this topic.
   I briefly searched the archives and did not locate a discussion
   directly related to the above questions. Please excuse me if 
   this topic has already been discussed. Feel free to point me
   to the correct archives.

   Thanks for your time,
   DDP

Dmitri,

We have done a comparative study of flooding in the context of
multicast routing in MANETs. A paper with our preliminary results
appeared in the DIALM99 workshop (soft copy available from
http://www.isi.edu:80/people/katia/dialm.ps.gz). We have just written
a report on more recent results we got when comparing flooding with
other ad hoc multicast routing protocols. If you are interested, I can
send you a pointer to that as well.  There is also a study by SJ Lee
et al. from UCLA comparing their multicast routing protocol ODMRP with
other ad hoc multicast protocols, including flooding.  If interested I
can send you a pointer to that as well.

					Katia