Subject: Re: flooding

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 19:10:22 -0400

At 06:19 PM 6/1/00 -0400, Dmitri Deshun Perkins wrote:

>Can anyone comment on the relative performance of "flooding"
>as a routing algorithm in ad hoc networks? Have any studies
>been done that discuss when(under what conditions) it might
>be advantageous to simply use flooding(at least for control
>pkts)?

For what its worth to you, a flooding performance comparison was included 
in early simulation of ILS (ideal link state) and TORA.  The intent was to 
qualitatively see how well flooding was doing in comparison to the other 
algorithms.

http://tonnant.itd.nrl.navy.mil/tora/tora_sim.html

As far as control packets, many algorithms do use forms of broadcast 
forwarding for some control packets, queries ,etc (also controlled or 
scoped flooding algorithms have been proposed..even for data ...(see the 
DSR ID) ..others?)

>Please point me to any papers that discuss this topic.
>I briefly searched the archives and did not locate a discussion
>directly related to the above questions. Please excuse me if
>this topic has already been discussed. Feel free to point me
>to the correct archives.
>
>
>Thanks for your time,
>DDP