Subject: DIAL M Workshop -- Call for Participation

From: "S.S.Ravi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 16:04:38 -0400

CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

           4th International Workshop on  Discrete Algorithms and
               Methods for Mobile Computing & Communications
                         (DIALM for Mobility)

              August 11, 2000  Boston, Massachusetts, USA
                  In conjunction with ACM MobiCom 2000

     Workshop URL : http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~elloyd/dialm.d/home.html

SPONSORS:

   (a) National Science Foundation.
   (b) ACM SIGMOBILE (in cooperation with ACM SIGACT)
   (c) Basic and Applied Simulation Science Group (TSA-2) of
       Los Alamos National Laboratory.

SCOPE:

  Mobile computing and communications devices such as portable phones,
laptops and palmtops will have an enormous impact on our lifestyle over
the next several decades. The introduction of mobility raises a number
of new research issues. This workshop is devoted to discrete algorithms
and methods in the context of mobile and wireless computing and
communications. The workshop is intended to serve as a forum for open
discussions and lively debate, and to foster cooperation among
practitioners and theoreticians. The conference program includes
three invited talks and 11 contributed papers. (The schedule of talks
appears below.) 

REGISTRATION and HOTEL INFORMATION: 

  DIAL M Workshop registration is being conducted in conjunction with 
the MobiCom 2000 conference registration. Please see the Mobicom 2000 
home page (http://www.argreenhouse.com/mobicom2000) for registration, 
conference location and hotel information.

STUDENT TRAVEL GRANTS:

  Students attending DIAL M may apply for Student Grants to defray a
part of the cost of attending the workshop. Any student may apply
(presenting a paper is NOT a prerequisite). For further information,
please contact the DIAL M Program Chair Professor Errol Lloyd
([email-masked]). Funding for these grants is provided by the National
Science Foundation.

CONFERENCE PROGRAM:

  7 AM - Noon     Registration

  7 AM - 8 AM     Continental Breakfast

  8 AM            Welcome by the Program Chair: Errol Lloyd (Univ. of
                  Delaware)

  8:05 AM         Remarks by the Steering Committee Chair: 
                  Maurizio Bonuccelli (Univ. of Pisa)

                                SESSION  ONE

  8:10 - 8:30 AM  Online Algorithms for Channel Assignment Problems
                  in Cellular Networks 
                  P. Crescenzi (Universita di Firenza); G. Gambosi and
                  P. Penna (Universita di Roma)

  8:30 - 8:50 AM  Worst-case Analysis of a Dynamic Channel Assignment Strategy
                  L. Narayanan and Y. Tang (Concordia University)

  8:50 - 9:10 AM  Efficient Use of Radio Spectrum in Wireless Networks with
                  Channel Separation between Close Stations
                  A. Bertosi (Univ. of Trento); M. C. Pinotti (National
                  Research Council, Italy); R. Tan (Univ. of Science and
                  Arts of Oklahoma)

  9:10 - 9:30 AM  Blocking Probability Estimates in a Partitioned Sector
                  TDMA System
                  C. Chekuri, K. Ramanan, P. Whiting and L. Zhang (Bell
                  Laboratories)

  9:30 - 9:50 AM  Energy-Efficient Routing in Radio Networks 
                  K. Nagoya (Nagoya Institute of Technology); 
                  S. Olariu (Old Dominion University)

  9:50 - 10:20 AM  Refreshment Break an Discussion Time

                                SESSION  TWO

  10:20 - 11:20 AM  INVITED TALK: Data Structures for Mobile Data
                    Leonidas Guibas (Stanford University)

  11:20 - 11:40 AM  Mobile Facility Location
                    S. Bespamyatnikh (Univ. of British Columbia);
                    B. Bhattacharya (Simon Fraser University);
                    D. Kirkpatrick and M. Segal (Univ. of British Columbia)
         
  11:40 - Noon      A. Aggarwal, M. Kapoor, L. Ramachandran and A. Sarkar
                    (IBM India Research Laboratory)

  Noon - 1:10 PM    Workshop Luncheon

                                 SESSION  THREE

  1:10 - 2:10 PM    INVITED TALK: The Post-PC Era: It's about the 
                    New Services-Enabled Internet
                    Randy Katz (Univ. of California, Berkeley)

  2:10 - 2:30 PM    Dynamic Session Management for Static and Mobile
                    Users: A Competitive On-Line Algorithmic Approach
                    Y. Bejarno, I. Cidon (Technion - Israel Institute of
                    Technology); J. (Seffi) Naor (Bell Laboratories)

  2:30 - 2:50 PM   Efficient Memoryless Protocol for Tag Identification
                   C. Law, K. Lee and K. Y. Siu (Massachusetts Institute
                   of Technology)

  2:50 - 3:20 PM   Refreshment Break and Discussion Time

                                 SESSION  FOUR

  3:20 - 4:20 PM   INVITED TALK: Application of a Theory of Simulation to
                   Models of Mobile Communication Systems 
                   Christopher Barrett (Los Alamos National Laboratory)

  4:20 - 4:40 PM   A Decision-Theoretic Approach to Resource Allocation
                   in Wireless Multimedia Networks
                   Z. Haas, J. Halpern, L. Li and S. Wicker (Cornell Univ.)

  4:40 - 5:00 PM   Leader Election Algorithms for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
                   N. Malpani, J. Welch and N. Vaidya (Texas A&M Univ.)

PROGRAM CHAIR:   Errol L. Lloyd
                 Department of Computer and Information Sciences
                 University of Delaware
                 Newark, DE, USA
                 Email: [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

       Amotz Bar-Noy, AT&T Labs and Tel Aviv University, Israel
       Anthony Ephremides, University of Maryland, USA
       Aura Ganz, University of Massachusetts, USA
       Juraj Hromkovic, RWTH Aachen, Germany
       Bo Li, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Hong Kong
       Jason Yi-Bing Lin, National Chiao-Tung University, ROC
       Errol Lloyd, University of Delaware,USA -- Program Chair
       Madhav Marathe, Los Alamos National Lab
       Marina Papatriantafilou, Chalmers Univ. of Technology, Sweden
       Stephane Perennes, INRIA, France
       Cynthia Phillips, Sandia National Laboratories, USA
       Balaji Raghavachari, University of Texas at Dallas, USA
       S. S. Ravi, SUNY Albany, USA -- Publicity Chair
       Andrea Richa, Arizona State University, USA
       Aravind Srinivasan, Bell Labs, USA
       Martha Steenstrup, BBN, USA
       Subhash Suri, Washington University, USA
       Eli Upfal, Brown University, USA
       Peter Widmayer, ETH Zurich, Switzerland

STEERING COMMITTEE

       Ian Akyildiz, Georgia Tech, USA
       Maurizio Bonuccelli, University of Pisa, Italy (Chair)
       Afonso Ferreira, CNRS - I3S - INRIA - Sophia Antipolis, France
       Arunabha Sen, Arizona State University, USA.