Subject: Anycasting and Geocasting in ad hoc networks (Tech. Report)

From: Youngbae - Ko <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 13:03:22 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Colleagues,

We would like to announce our work on anycasting and geocasting protocols
in ad hoc networks. The technical report, numbered 00-015 and titled in
"Anycasting and Geocasting in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks", is available here:

     http://www.cs.tamu.edu/faculty/vaidya/Vaidya-mobile.html
     (on the list of PUBLICATIONS and TECHNICAL REPORTS) 

FYI, the abstract of our report is attached below. 
Thanks in advance for your time and we would appreciate any feedbacks
(comments or suggestions) on our report.

Best Regards,

                                 Young-Bae Ko
                                 < Mobile Computing & Networking Group >
                                 < Dept. of Computer Science > 
                                 < Texas A&M University >

Abstract
==========

This technical report considers the problem of providing a geocast
service, which is useful for sending messages to everyone in a specified
geographical region, in mobile ad hoc networks. In the report, a novel
geocasting algorithm combining unicasting and flooding is proposed for 
an efficient geocast packet delivery. TORA (unicast) routing protocol is
first modified to be able to perform "anycasting" service. Our geocasting
algorithm is then obtained using a small variation on the anycasting
protocol. 

The proposed protocol, named "GeoTORA", also incorporates flooding, but
flooding is limited to nodes within a small region. This integration of
TORA and flooding can significantly reduce the overhead of geocast 
delivery, while maintaining reasonably high accuracy.