Subject: Patents, IETF proposals and papers

From: Darrell Shane <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 09:57:13 -0700

Hello, 

Are authors / inventors of routing protocols patenting their ideas?  
What are the implications with regard to a subsequent IETF proposal, 
and conference or journal publications?  What are the drawbacks?

Thanks,
Darrell Shane

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 15:39:22 -0400

Please see RFC 2026 on the Internet Standards Process.
This should help explain to people who do not know some of guidelines in 
how the IETF handles Intellectual Property Rights issues.

Also see http://www.ietf.org/ipr.html for some example patent statements 
that may relate to IETF work.

This is a subject/policy more general than the manet WG and is not an 
appropriate thread for this mailing list.  Check the IETF/IESG for more 
questions/info on such matters.

-Joe