Subject: AODV: RREP answer coming through an unknown neighbour

From: Yves Prelot <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:13:51 +0500

Hello,

I have found an interesting situation: node (A) asks for a route. New
neighbour (B) knows this route, but for some reason this node is unknown
to the asker (A). A reason could be that the communication was bad and
is just now good and thus (A) and (B) are only very recently neighbours.

In this situation, (A) receives a correct answer that goes through a
node (B) about which it has no knowledge.

Question: what does (A) do ? I see two possibilities:
- discard the answer ?
- create a new entry for (B) in it's table and then proceed with the
normal treatment of the RREP ? which Sequence Number for B (0 I guess is
OK) ?

This situation doesn't seem to be addressed in the draft unless I failed
to see it. I believe the second solution I suggest is correct but any
clarification would be appreciated,

Thank you !

Regards,

Yves

---

From: "Samir R. Das" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:13:53 -0400

Hello Yves,

I am not sure I see any problem here. There is no reason for B to be "known"
to A. A accepts the RREP from B, creates a route entry using B as next hop
using the destination seq no. supplied by B. This is part of RREP processing
in AODV. No special treatment is needed.

Samir

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked]
> [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of Yves Prelot
> Sent: Friday, August 31, 2001 5:14 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: AODV: RREP answer coming through an unknown neighbour
>
>
> Hello,
>