Subject: Re: TORA/IMEP Linux/ns2 code

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 13:34:3 +0800

hi,Scott Corson
  I just check the you software, it's great the document is suficent. But I still can not run it. Becaust it uses airnet driver modified.
  My envirment is linux2.2.16 + Lucent Wavelan golden card.

The wavelan card driver is wavelan2_cs.o diliverd by Lucent. The problem I meet is:
  
   when I run ./imep mannually,
I got error messages:

error opening device driver of the wavelan driver
segmentation fault(cron dump).

   And another question is about feconfig. why in Makefile, it link in static libray? and there seems some litter bug there. fecfg.c do not check the argc so when you run "feconfig", the arguments number is wrong and program dump.

>All,
>
>For anyone interested, the Linux and ns2 code for TORA/IMEP is available for
>download at the following URL:
>
>http://www.cshcn.umd.edu/tora.shtml
>
>-Scott

                    致
礼！

            dd
            [email-masked]

---

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 20:27:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi

I had the same problem when trying out TORA/IMEP on our testbed at Uppsala
University, Sweden. I quickly transferred the airnet hack to ORINOCO:s
wavelan driver (wavelan2_cs.c) to the best of my knowledge. The airnet
hack wasn't that well documented, but I found it to be a very simple
hack. No guarantees my hack is correct though. But at least I got TORA to
run and route packets over an intermediate computer using a three node
setup. I can send you the modified wavelan driver if you want to, so that
you can get TORA up and running.

/Erik Nordström
Department of Computer Systems,
Uppsala University, Sweden.

On Thu, 9 Aug 2001, David wrote:

>                     ÖÂ
> Àñ£¡

---

From: Matthew Impett <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 05:27:19 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Erik, and all,

I guess it wasn't mentioned, but the distribution as it is right now will
only work with Cisco Aironet cards.  The only modification made to the
aironet driver was to introduce a link-layer notification of link-down
events to the IP layer.  The protocols themselves (TORA/IMEP) will work
fine without these triggers, but the initialization code unfortunately
will not.  So, it should be very simple to remove the init code for this
from the IMEP code, or, use this modified Lucent driver.

I will try to modify the code to work correctly if the modified driver is
not present.  Furthermore, Erik, perhaps we could work together to get
your modified ORINOCO driver into the distribution for people who don't
have Cisco gear..

Just as a note to the people wishing to use this distribution: it
is a little rough around the edges. It is not the most user-friendly, and
has little error-checking on configuration (i.e. producing core files when
given an invalid number of command line args).  However, the functionality
of TORA/IMEP is there and should work properly.

Finally, I no longer work on this project, but people who have questions
about some things can feel free to email them to me. I will not be able to
spend any time on modifications, but I may be able to shed some light on
some of the more obscure aspects of the code...

matt

---

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Aug 2001 13:17:29 +0200

Hi Matthew + others,

Attached is the ORINOCO WaveLAN driver which I have modified to include
the TORA link-layer notification stuff. I am not entirely confident that
this hack currently work as intended in the aironet driver. It would be
great if you could verify this. Included are also some modifications
related to our ad hoc testbed in development (APE), just so that you
don't get confused about that code... The attached file is from the 6.10
version of ORINOCO's driver. There are some warnings when compiling
related to the inclusion of <net/route.h>, which is necessary for the
use of the rtable struct. I haven't yet figured out how to solve this.

btw. the file is gzipped.

/Erik