Subject: Amount of route traffic

From: Göran Nylen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 11:50:11 +0200

Hello everyone!

When designing routing protocols, one of the assumptions that has to be 
defined is the amount of overhead which routing messages introduces into the 
network.

Have there been any discussions on this matter? What would be an acceptable 
amount? About 10% routing messages and 90% data?

Please post your comments

Regards,
Göran Nylen

---

From: "Philippe Jacquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:53:58 +0200

The routing control overhead can be seen as an indirect measure of the
useful capacity of the channel. In general the less control overhead you
have the more you gain in useful capacity. But this is not 100% true and you
must also measure the useful capacity. For example you may have non-optimal
routes resulting in too many hops or data retransmissions.

Control traffic may also have impact on node power saving and on internal
node processing power.

Philippe