Subject: mackiller under linux

From: David <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2001 23:44:28 +0800

Here is the mackiller under linux. You must modify the linux kernel source under /usr/src/linux/net... according to README . The kernel patch add personal ioctl control fuction.
A client software called mac_client can control kernel to accept certain source address packet.

  In the future, I will give you my LRP image include wavelan support in one floppy.
try it!

Liu Weiguo

doctorial  student 

Computer department

Beijing Institue of Technology

China

---

From: "Fred L. Templin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 10:29:21 -0700

David,

I read the code, and it looks like it could be a useful package for
testing the correctness of an ad-hoc routing protocol. I would have
preferred your setting the default behavior to "accept all" rather
than the "default drop all" policy you are using, since it would
allow normal operation for non-MANET interfaces (e.g. if a node has
both an IEEE 802.11 interface for MANET operation and an Ethernet
interface for normal Internet access.)

One thing to note about emulating an ad-hoc network using something
like mackiller, however, is that such an emulated network *must not*
be used for performance evaluation. Reason being is that, on data
links like IEEE 802.11, mimicing multi-hop paths by selectively
dropping packets received with particular MAC addresses is *not the
same thing* as having *true* multi-hop paths in which some nodes are
actually hidden terminals with respect to others. You might want to
point this out in your 'README'.

Fred Templin
[email-masked]