Subject: Personal Area Networking definition

From: Michael Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 12:26:01 +0200

Hi,

I hope I'm not really off-topic here.

I'm actually interested in the definition of the term "(Wireless) 
Personal Area Networking" (PAN). Does (W)PAN specify communication 
scenarios among devices that are located around the body of one single 
person only, or does it specify the communication between a portable 
personal device of a bearer and any random device in radio reach of the 
bearer device? In the latter case, I imagine the bearer of a radio 
device wandering around in the streets, receiving broadcast 
advertisements, electronic restaurant menus etc.

So what is PAN?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

-- 
===================================================
Michael Schmidt
---------------------------------------------------
Institute for Data Communications Systems
University of Siegen, Germany
www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de
---------------------------------------------------
http:    www.nue.et-inf.uni-siegen.de/~schmidt/
e-mail:  [email-masked]
phone:   +49 271 740-2332   fax:   +49 271 740-2536
mobile:  +49 173 3789349
---------------------------------------------------
###      Siegen - The Arctic Rain Forest        ###
===================================================