Subject: [manet] DSR and ICMP

From: [email-masked] (Noah H. Miller)
Date: 27 Aug 2002 17:58:46 EDT

Hello,

I am working on an simulator implementation of DSR, and I am unsure of how to
notify the Application layer of failed messages.  I believe ICMP is usually used
when the MAC layer fails to transmit a packet, in which case the IP layer sends
an ICMP packet to the originator of the data packet (whether the originator is
local or several hops away).  However, in DSR the Maintenance buffer might
decide to retransmit or salvage the packet, in which case IP should not be
allowed to report the packet as failed.  Should DSR instead originate ICMP
packets?  Should it piggyback these packets on RERR packets, or else how would
they get routed?  How might ICMP and DSR relate in terms of the verticle OSI/ISO
model?

Thank you,

Noah Miller

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet