Subject: [manet] 802.11 Ad hoc start-up beacon

From: "Su, William" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:56:55 -0400

Hi,

Does anyone knows where I can find good source to answer these questions?
Couldn't seem to find them in the 802.11 spec (Part11:MAC-PHY
Specification):

1. In ad-hoc (IBSS) mode, how do the stations find each other in
multi-channel mode (if they are supported)?  The spec says all stations
generate beacons in random interval, but does not say if they do a full
sweep scan across all the channels for beacons if they don't hear anything
for a period of time.  In some configuration menus for 802.11 device (e.g.
D-Link cards) suggests that when turning on two ad-hoc mode stations they
shouldn't be turned on together but should allow some time to pass before
turning on the 2nd unit (otherwise 2 separate network could be formed).
What's the reason for this?  Why couldn't the station do a passive scan
periodically to avoid this?

2. Does IBSS mode support probes?  And are they used in the full sweep scan
(if multiple channel mode is supported)?  If so, how do stations coordinate
who generate probe-response and who doesn't (so there is no flooding of
replies)?

3. How does association work in IBSS mode?  Does a station send association
request to all the neighbors it hears on the beacons?  Also, does 802.11
IBSS use ARP to get the neighbor's IP address?  Does this process takes
place in association or it is separate?

Any information would be greatly appreciated,

William
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Imad AAD <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 04:09:08 +0200 (MEST)

> place in association or it is separate?

there is no association in IBSS mode.

imad

---

From: Imad AAD <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 04:09:08 +0200 (MEST)

imad