Subject: [manet] Using WLAN with base stations instead of Ad-Hoc routing?

From: "Berner Vegge" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 10:26:04 +0200

Hello!

I am trying to come up with arguments why we need Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks with special routing algorithms. Couldn't we rather use a WLAN with basestations? Base Stations are today rather cheap and not very heavy, so I assume they could be carried around just as easy as an Ad-Hoc node.

Can anyone help me with arguments why we need Ad-Hoc routing protocols and why
WLAN with basestations is not good enough?

Thanks  !

BR  Berner

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Daniel Oldham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:51:13 GMT

Hello:
Did you get a chance to read the charter for this working group? The base 
station is a single point of failure where ad-hoc networks can 
self-organize and adjust to the changing conditions without a lot of 
human intervention. There are many applications that benefit from ad-hoc 
networks, especially where base stations cannot be deployed or are 
destroyed. Examples are emergency relief activities needed in a 
devastated area effected by a storm or attack, or for military operations 
into unknown territory, or locations where it is hard to deploy a base 
station to provide coverage, like in a mine shaft or in a canyon. In the 
future,  there well be satellite clusters that have total communication 
integration without a fixed infastructure. Also there well be future 
applications that have not been dreamed up yet that well appear as the 
technology is developed and deployed. I hope that helps.
--
Daniel R. Oldham Ph.D.
Computer Engineer
Satellite Networks and Architectures Branch
NASA Glenn Research Center
21000 Brookpark Road (MS 54-5)
Cleveland OH 44135
216.433.6307 - voice
216.433.8705 - fax
[email-masked]

Original Message dated 8/15/02, 4:26:04 AM
Author: "Berner Vegge" <[email-masked]>
Re: [manet] Using WLAN with base stations instead of Ad-Hoc routing?:

Hello!
I am trying to come up with arguments why we need Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks 
with special routing algorithms. Couldn't we rather use a WLAN with 
basestations? Base Stations are today rather cheap and not very heavy, so 
I assume they could be carried around just as easy as an Ad-Hoc node.
 
Can anyone help me with arguments why we need Ad-Hoc routing protocols 
and why
WLAN with basestations is not good enough? 
 
Thanks  !
BR  Berner

Send and receive Hotmail on your mobile device: Click Here
_______________________________________________ manet mailing list 
[email-masked] https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Daniel Oldham <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 11:51:13 GMT

Hello:

Hello!

Thanks  !
BR  Berner