Subject: RE: [manet] RTS/CTS in wireless MAC

From: "Liaw, Yong Shyang - LIAYS001" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 10:00:16 +1030

So then how can the receiver knows if there is a collosion? Does it just check
the "checksum" of the data packet?  Another question. If the wireless LAN i/f
(i.e. waveLan) is put into promiscuous mode, it can receive all data
transmissions that reach it. But can it also send data (in promiscuous mode)
when it is not receiving data?

Thank in advance.

-----Original Message-----
From: Sumeeth Nagaraj [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, 6 November 2002 7:31
To: Sachin Ganu; Grzegorz Banasiak
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] RTS/CTS in wireless MAC

CSMA/ CD is used in the Ethernet, Collision Detection is not possible
because of the Half-Duplex nature of the nodes. The wireless nodes can
either transmit or receive and hence cannot detect collisions at the
destination(receiver). CSMA/CA is used and not CSMA/CD.

Best Regards,
Sumeeth

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Sumeeth Nagaraj <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:47:05 -0700

CSMA-CA in Broadcast and not CSMA-CD?

I was referring to the transmitting node(Source) not being able to detect
collision at the destination node because of the half duplex nature of the
nodes and also because the source will not be knowing if the receiver(s) are
busy or idle and hence collision cannot be detected.

At the destination, collision is detected by checking the FCS field of the
received packet.

Best Regards,
Sumeeth

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liaw, Yong Shyang - LIAYS001" <[email-masked]>
To: "'Sumeeth Nagaraj'" <[email-masked]>; "Sachin Ganu"
<[email-masked]>; "Grzegorz Banasiak" <[email-masked]>
Cc: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 4:30 PM
Subject: RE: [manet] RTS/CTS in wireless MAC

---

From: Sumeeth Nagaraj <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 16:47:05 -0700

Best Regards,
Sumeeth