Subject: [manet] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-manet-lanmar-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:35:04 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Mobile Ad-hoc Networks Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Landmark Routing Protocol (LANMAR) for Large Scale Ad 
                          Hoc Networks
	Author(s)	: M. Gerla et al.
	Filename	: draft-ietf-manet-lanmar-05.txt
	Pages		: 21
	Date		: 2002-11-7
	
The Landmark Routing Protocol (LANMAR) utilizes the concept of 
landmark for scalable routing in large, mobile ad hoc networks.  
It relies on the notion of group mobility: i.e., a logical group 
(for example a team of coworkers at a convention) moves in a 
coordinated fashion.  The existence of such logical group can be 
efficiently reflected in the addressing scheme.  It assumes that 
an IP like address is used consisting of a group ID (or subnet ID)
and a host ID, i.e. <Group ID, Host ID>.  A landmark is dynamically
elected in each group.  The route to a landmark is propagated 
throughout the network using a Distance Vector mechanism.  
Separately, each node in the network uses a scoped routing 
algorithm (e.g., FSR) to learn about routes within a given (max 
number of hops) scope.  To route a packet to a destination outside
its scope, a node will direct the packet to the landmark 
corresponding to the group ID of such destination.  Once the packet
approaches the landmark, it will typically be routed directly to 
the destination.  A solution to nodes outside of the scope of their 
landmark (i.e., drifters) is also addressed in the draft.  Thus, 
by summarizing in the corresponding landmarks the routing 
information of remote groups of nodes  and by using the truncated 
local routing table, LANMAR dramatically reduces routing table size
and routing update overhead in large networks.  The dynamic 
election of landmarks enables LANMAR to cope with mobile 
environments.  LANMAR is well suited to provide an efficient and 
scalable routing solution in large, mobile, ad hoc environments in
which group behavior applies and high mobility renders traditional 
routing schemes inefficient.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-lanmar-05.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-manet-lanmar-05.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-manet-lanmar-05.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.