Subject: [manet] Installing APE

From: Abhinav Gupta <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 15:26:57 -0700

Hi,

I have been trying to install APE Testbed from Uppsala University. I 
have used the Linux kernel (2.4.18) already sitting on my laptop to 
build my own distribution.

There are two problems that I am facing:
1. The AODV-UU implementation while compiling generates errors and fails 
installation.
2. When I remove the AODV-UU and compile the rest of the package, it 
compiles, but the when I install it and try to boot into APE, I get the 
message "Kernel Panic" and booting freezes.

Could someone please guide me as to how to install the APE testbed on my 
laptop. I am using Red Hat Linux 7.3 kernel 2.4.18?

Thanks,
Abhinav

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Ankur Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 23:47:21 +0530

Hi Abhinav:

Installation of APE doesn't depend on the linux kernel you are using. It
will compile on any kernel of any linux (redhat linux, debian, mandrake
etc.). Actually, it has is own kernel which runs on loop device.

I experienced the same error of "kernel panic" when I installed APE the
first time. Although, I don't the exact reason of getting this strange
error, but I deduce the following reason for the error as my problem got
solved in this way:

On my laptop (using Redhat 7.3) , the root partition was on /dev/hda1 and
the boot partition on /dev/hda2.

Somehow APE looks for something in /dev/hda2 and thinks that it is root
partition. But, in my case, it is not. At that time, I get the kernel panic
error. When I installed APE on a different laptop (running Mandrake), it ran
perfectly ok.
In the second laptop, the partitions were like this : root on /dev/hda2 and
boot on /dev/hda1. So, I think this could be one of the solution of your
problem.

In short, try to change the locations of your partition. (one way is to
reinstall the linux and declare partitions in the opp. way). I am sure it
will work.

In my case, I compiled APE very easily in which the default AODV-UU package
was there. But, if you just want to play with APE first, then why don't you
just run the install script. It's already provided in the zip file. You have
to compile APE only when you want to make some changes in it (e.g including
your own protocol).

I hope it solves your problem. If it works, then please do tell me.

Regards
Ankur

********************************
[email-masked]
http://www.geocities.com/ankurjain009/

********************************

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Kalpana Chawla, Indian born astronaut said in an email from Columbia
Space Shuttle - STS 107

" The paths from dreams to success does exist,
   May you have the vision to find it,
   the courage to get on to it,
  and the perseverance to follow it.
   Wishing you a great journey !"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------