Subject: [manet] Gateway Discovery

From: "Yasser A. Lotfy" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 12:58:55 -0500

Good day everyone,

Has there been any work on ad-hoc gateway discovery mechanisms. Can you please point me to any papers on this area?

Regards,

Yasser
Carleton U

_____________________________________________________________
Get 25MB, POP3, Spam Filtering with LYCOS MAIL PLUS for $19.95/year.
http://login.mail.lycos.com/brandPage.shtml?pageId=plus&ref=lmtplus
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Pedro M. Ruiz" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:36:34 +0100

Hi Yasser,

We proposed a protocol called MMARP for multicast routing in MANETs which
includes opperatons to deal with the interworking with fixed
infrastructures. Ad hoc nodes become MIGs (Multicast Internet Gateways)
whenever they detect that they are one hop away from the fixed access
router.

We are still improving the mechanism, but currently the discovery of the
MIGs by the rest of ad hoc nodes is done by periodic and constrained
advertisement using MMARP_Dfl_Route messages. The constraint is basically
that announcements from many MIGs attached to the same access router are
detected as duplictes, avoiding unnecessary retransmissions. Finally the
decission on which MIG to select is done by each ad hoc node and may depend
on many factors (# of hops, delay (selecting the first to come
advertisement, etc.).

For further details you may look at some material here:
http://ants.dif.um.es/staff/pedrom/publications.html

Hope it helps,

Pedro

> -----Mensaje original-----
> De: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]En nombre de
> Yasser A. Lotfy
> Enviado el: lunes, 17 de febrero de 2003 18:59
> Para: [email-masked]
> Asunto: [manet] Gateway Discovery
>
>
> Good day everyone,
>
> Has there been any work on ad-hoc gateway discovery mechanisms.
> Can you please point me to any papers on this area?
>
> Regards,
>
> Yasser
> Carleton U
>
>
>

---

From: Ali Hamidian <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 15:56:39 +0100

Hi Yasser,

In my master's thesis I've extended AODV such that mobile nodes can use 
it for routing not only within a MANET, but also between a MANET and a 
fixed network. To be able to do that, the mobile nodes must discover a 
gateway. I discuss three approaches for gateway discovery in a MANET: 
reactive, proactive and hybrid. You can find the thesis here if you're 
interested: http://www.telecom.lth.se/Personal/alexh/

Regards
Ali