Subject: [manet] Wireless testbed

From: "D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic Engineering" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 15:13:22 +0000

Hi,

My group is currently interested in 'assembling' a wireless testbed of 
ad hoc nature (dynamic in nature, but typically of very limited 
mobility associated with the nodes). We wish to develop routing 
protocols and applications suited for such environments and use this 
tesbed to evaluate them.

Would anyone like to suggest some possible solutions?

For example I have been thinking of laptops installed with linux 
(((modifying the kernel to accommodate for the protocols, but we have 
limited knowledge of linux nevertheless))) or with 802.11 wireless 
adaptors. In the second case though I am not sure if true ad hoc 
functionality can be obtained. 

Any suggestions would be welcomed

Regards

Dimos
_________________________________________________________________ 
*****************************************************************
Dimosthenis Kothris	      Centre for Communications Research, 
			      University of Bristol,
			      Network & Protocols group

Address:		      Contact numbers: 	
_________________________________________________________________ 
Network & Protocols
Center for Communcations research
Merchant Venturers Building         Tel   :            +44 117 903 1104
Woodland Road                       Fax   :            +44 117 954 5206
Bristol BS8 1UB                     Mobile:           +44 7779 40 48 42
United Kingdom                      Email :     [email-masked]
*****************************************************************

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Tao Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 11:31:15 -0500

There are many ad hoc protocols implemented in Linux already (without
touching the kernel).  Examples include AODV, DSR, OLSR, and TBRPF.  You may
also design and implement one by yourself.

You can setup a real wireless test bed using laptops with 802.11 NICs.  You
can also setup a wired testbed to emulate wireless ad hoc networks with a
dynamic switch we developed for this purpose (Refer to io.irean.vt.edu/~tlin
for the free software and the related paper).  This dynamic switch is
transparent to all end hosts, does not require any modification at the end
hosts, and can control the topology dynamically during the emulations.

Best,

    Tao Lin
   ECE Dept.
   Virginia Tech.

----- Original Message -----
From: "D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic Engineering"
<[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 10:13 AM
Subject: [manet] Wireless testbed

---

From: Erik Nordström <[email-masked]>
Date: 02 Feb 2003 18:21:35 +0100

If you want to avoid duplication of efforts, take a look at:

http://apetestbed.sourceforge.net/

Erik

On Sun, 2003-02-02 at 16:13, D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:33:02 -0700

Hi,

Our group at the University of Colorado at Boulder have developed an wireless 
test-bed - please contact: [email-masked] for questions. 

I have attached the paper that will appear in the WCNC conference.

Regards,
Shweta.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 10:33:28 -0700

Hi,

Regards,
Shweta.

---

From: "Ankur Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 01:17:25 +0530

Hi Dimos

I will suggest to use either APE (http://apetestbed.sourceforge.net/ ) or
Mobiemu (http://mobiemu.sourceforge.net/ ). I have used both implementation
on my testbed and I would say both implementation are excellent for testing
various routing protocols for ad hoc networks on the actual testbed for ad
hoc networks. But if you want to make it "very real", use APE.

Another solution is use the tool as suggested by Tao Lin from
io.irean.vt.edu/~tlin.  Although I didn't implement it on my testbed, I read
the paper and found it good.

If you have enough funds (and persons), you can make your testbed
implementation similar to the researchers of Monarch group at CMU / Rice
(monarch.cs.cmu.edu).

Hope this helps.

Regards
Ankur

----- Original Message -----
From: D Kothris, Electrical & Electronic Engineering
<[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Sunday, February 02, 2003 8:43 PM
Subject: [manet] Wireless testbed