Subject: [manet] Re:Autoconfiguration protocols

From: Mihail L Sichitiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:10:28 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I used to briefly work at autoconfiguration problem until I came to know
that "my approach" was recently published in an MS thesis on the subject
(at UT. Dallas - see link below). I have nothing to do with the thesis,
but I thought it's relevant.

I think that the approach in the thesis (which draws on an unpolished idea
of an U. of Maryland student) is significantly more scalable (O(m)
messages instead of O(nm) for m new joins in an n node ad-hoc network)
than existing approaches, and deserves your attention. I honestly doubt
that it can be done much better than that, but I'm looking forward to see
a better solution).

http://www.utdallas.edu/~mansi/

If you want to get a look at the U. of Maryland initial papers see
references [12] and [13] in the thesis. I was unable to find them online,
but I got a copy from the library.

The main idea of the thesis (and original papers) is simple: each node in
the ad-hoc network acts like a DHCP server that has besides its IP address
a range of IP addresses that can offer. When a new node joins an already
existing node it offers an IP address and half of its IP addresses in its
care. The thesis takes care of other details like network merging and
partitioning, and address reclaiming.

Best regards,
Mihail Sichitiu

_______________________________________________________
Mihail L. Sichitiu
Assistant Professor,              Phone: (919) 515 7348
Dept. of ECE, Campus Box 7911     Fax:   (919) 515 5523
NC State University
Raleigh, NC 27695-7911   http://www4.ncsu.edu/~mlsichit
_______________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Krishnaswamy, Padma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:14:17 -0500

Hi,
On reading the ID in the  url below, I had a few questions.  The relevant
text from the ID is in quotes-

1. " In this document, a mechanism by which a node in an ad hoc network
   may autoconfigure an IP address which is unique throughout the
   connected portion of the ad hoc network is specified. " 

--does this mean the 169.254/16 space could be used  separately in 2
separate disjoint adhoc nets resulting in a possible collision? Was this
prefix selected instead of a block from RFC 1918 so that zeroconf criteria
of coexistence with 'administered' nets is satisfied?

2. "When a node in an ad hoc network wishes to obtain an IP address,
   it may be difficult or impossible to contact any address
   allocation agency in the network.  In such cases, according to the
   specifications given in this document, the node attempts to select a
   random address (on network 169.254/16 in case of IPv4, or on prefix
   MANET_INITIAL_PREFIX in case of IPv6).  This is analogous to the way
   that Autonet allocations are done, and as is proposed in the zeroconf
   working group [3]."

--what is the analogy being referred to , with what the zeroconf group
proposes?

3.How is DAD done- by repeat AREQ/AREP?

rgds and thanks,
Padma Krishnaswamy
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Charles E. Perkins [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 6:40 PM
> To: Mansoor Mohsin
> Cc: Fábio Buiati; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [manet] Autoconfiguration protocols
> 
> 
> 
> Hello folks,
> 
> We had a draft on address autoconfiguration,
> currently available at the following URL:
> 	http://people.nokia.net/charliep/txt/aodvid/autoconf.txt
> It was expected to be a working group item, but recently
> the manet group has not been adding new work.
> 
> The autoconfiguration ideas have been implemented,
> are known to work, and have been published in various
> papers at technical conferences.
> 
> Regards,
> Charlie P.
> 
>