Subject: [manet] RTS/CTS

From: Umut Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:18:35 -0500 (EST)

Hi this question is in fact about the infrastructure mode of 802.11b but I
think it's relevant...
Suppose two BSS operating in the same channel and close enough to cause
interference and hear themselves. A station in one of these BSSs start an
RTS/CTS transmission and the AP replies with a CTS. What happens when the
other AP hears this CTS? Does it stop transmission and wait or what?

Umut

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "s. goswami" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:39:13 -0500 (EST)

the other hears CTS and differs.

---

From: "Ankur Jain" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 00:39:36 +0530

Hi Umut,

When two APs are in the interference range of each other (which shouldn't be
in first place..), if one AP sends a CTS then the other AP has to stop the
transmission. Otherwise, collisions can't be avoided which is the function
of 'CA' in CSMA/CA.

Regards,
Ankur

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Kalpana Chawla, Indian born astronaut said in an email from Columbia
Space Shuttle - STS 107

" The paths from dreams to success does exist,
   May you have the vision to find it,
   the courage to get on to it,
  and the perseverance to follow it.
   Wishing you a great journey !"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Umut Akyol <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:55:00 -0500 (EST)

If the other AP stops,then all the STA's in its BSS must also stop right?
I don't think that this kind of a coordination is specified in the
protocol. Or is it specified? For example how will the other AP's and
STA's will start
transmission then? How will they schedule beaconing afterwards?
Regards,

Umut