Subject: [manet] Re: [BAWUG] I have a dream - and it's mostly available today!

From: S Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 15:44:43 -0500

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 12:38  PM, Jared Valentine wrote:
> Well, you can get pretty close to this.  Check out the Nexland 
> routers: [...]
> They can load balance two separate connections.  I don't believe this 
> works
> for a "single" FTP transfer, for example... it works by loadbalancing
> separate transfers.  Things like surfing, multi-part transfers, etc. 
> all
> happen at 2x the speed.

No, it's a different issue from load-balancing. That's only done when 
the two connections are both controlled by a single entity, usually at 
both ends.

The difference is, that under my situation, we are acting as 
uncoordinated separate entities both on the internet, with essentially 
a network border between us.

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 01:38  AM, Miguel Sánchez wrote:

> While you can think datagram throughput can be boosted this way you may
> be surprised that TCP-based applications will  be confused about your
> setup.
> TCP flow control is based on a round-trip time (RTT) estimation for 
> each
> connection. While assuming large variations may happen, connections 
> will
> work better when RTT does not change a lot (if it does may trigger
> unneeded retransmissions that will also reduce congestion window and
> will speed down you data flow).

Well there's actually two different situations, (1) my neighbours uses 
my ISP, or, (2) my neighbour uses a different ISP. To discount 
situation 2, it's not a problem at all. In situation 2 we don't need to 
worry about packet reordering as the routes are going to be completely 
different and IP will probably choose one or the other for any given 
TCP connection. The problem if the situation is (1) where IP is 
probably going to be sending packets down the different paths at random 
since the routes will be identical. So then you have multi-path 
problems. But, on the other hand, in this case the two paths are likely 
to be almost identical so that reordering will be minimal. I don't see 
a problem, the paths will either be very different or very similar.

simon
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet