Subject: RE: [manet] RE: [Ans-research] The Charter

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 11:25:55 -0400

At 09:11 AM 4/9/2003 +0100, Dearlove, Chris wrote:

>> The MANET WG future (if it has one) is focused work on two unified
>> protocols: reactive and proactive.
>
>This is not what was said at the WG meeting, where (as it says in
>the minutes) this split wasn't confirmed. Obviously it must be the
>front runner however.

That is true.. 

That MAY be the way forward, but there is still a discussion period.
The meeting minutes address the fact that MAY be the likely taxonomy
for further work based upon previous work.

>********************************************************************
>This email and any attachments are confidential to the intended
>recipient and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended
>recipient please delete it from your system and notify the sender.
>You should not copy it or use it for any purpose nor disclose or
>distribute its contents to any other person.
>********************************************************************
>_______________________________________________
>manet mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Charles E. Perkins" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:08:40 -0700

Hello Joe,

>>> protocols: reactive and proactive.
                  ............
> for further work based upon previous work.

I think that going for two documents is the most expedient
way forward, because the technologies, considered separately,
are on the way to being fairly well understood.

The idea of a combined proactive/reactive (or, perhaps, "hybrid")
scheme is in my opinion much less well-understood.  So, it would
take a lot longer to get the combined scheme, and in the meantime
we would benefit from the existence of some Proposed Standards for
the two well-understood technologies.  After we get to that point,
I think we would be much better prepared to judge our chances for
success on combining the technologies.

However, I hope we also make space in the charter for:

- Internet connectivity
- Efficient broadcast/multicast

These are obviously needed, and techniques are known
for accomplishing them.

Regards,
Charlie P.

>> recipient and may also be privileged. 

I am feeling privileged, too :-)
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 10:44:34 -0400

>>>> protocols: reactive and proactive.

I agree..

>- Efficient broadcast/multicast

I also agree..