Subject: [manet] HMP (Hotspot Mitigation Protocol)

From: "SeoungBum Lee" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 15:48:04 -0400

Hello:

We have been looking at the issue of congestion control
in MANET and designed HMP (Hotspot Mitigation Protocol)
that can interwork with some of the MANET routing protocols.

In HMP, nodes independently monitor local conditions, and
take local actions:
-to declare a node to be a hotspot if a combination of MAC
contention/delays, packet loss, buffer occupancy, and
energy reserves exceed certain predefined system thresholds;
-to suppress new route requests at hotspots to ensure that
routed traffic does not compound the hotspot's congestion
problems; and
-to throttle traffic locally at hotspots to force TCP flows to slow down.

We have completed extensive simulations and almost completed
the testbed implementation with AODV. We intend to write an ID
based on our design/implementations experience from the code.
Until then those interested can look at the following paper:

Seoung-Bum Lee and Andrew T. Campbell, "HMP: Hotspot Mitigation
Protocol for Mobile Ad hoc Networks"11th IEEE/IFIP International
Workshop on Quality of Service (IWQOS 2003), Monterey, CA, June 2-4,
2003.

Any comments are appreciated.

Regards,
Seoung-Bum