Subject: [manet] Addendum: Adaptive routing protocol based on network/node load

From: Sonny Rajagopalan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:46:40 -0400 (EDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 11:05:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Sonny Rajagopalan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] Adaptive routing protocol based on network/node load

Hello All,

We will soon have a paper out which is related to this thread. The
abstract of the paper appears below:

- --------------BEGIN ABSTRACT------------------------------------------

There are  a number  of unicast routing   protocols for mobile  ad hoc
networks, but none of  them  effectively address  the whole range   of
problems       ad  hoc   networks face.  Furthermore, protocols   that
perform well  in one scenario do not  perform well in all scenarios --
to counter this, we need a general  purpose protocol which assumes the
``face'' of   the  protocol that performs the    best  in the  current
situation --  i.e., we will  need  a protocol   that adapts itself  to
changing network demands autonomously.   This general purpose protocol
is to be a hybrid protocol (to improve  scalability properties) and is
designed to accomodate the following three aspects : (a) shift between
the amount  of proactive routing  and reactive routing autonomously to
improve network metrics, (b) capable of performing relay-based routing
to  accomodate  for  extreme  network    conditions, and  (c)    adapt
dynamically to other network and load characteristics.

This paper describes  the design and implementation  of a  new unicast
routing protocol  for mobile ad   hoc  networks. Our unicast   routing
protocol is  a hybrid, survivable routing  protocol inspired  from the
swarm  intelligence  metaphor, and draws  on  many positive aspects of
swarm intelligence techniques  -- flexibility,  resilience to  network
characteristics.   We have tested a  preliminary implementation of our
and compared it with AODV, and the results are encouraging.

- ---------------END ABSTRACT------------------------------------------

Cheers,
Sonny.
- ----
>From the desk of Sonny Rajagopalan @ http://www.cis.udel.edu/~rajagopa
                                                                  ----

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Dinesh Dharmaraju wrote:

> Hi Tan,
>   We have a QoS protocol called INORA, (which uses INSIGNIA signaling and
> TORA routing protocol) and choses routes based on the QoS requirements.
> This adjusts adaptively to the traffic load at different nodes.
>
> Please take a look at the following paper:
> D. Dharmaraju, A. Roy-Chowdhury, P. Hovareshti, J. S. Baras , "INORA- A
> Unified Signaling and Routing Protocol in Mobile AdHoc networks"  IWAHN '02
>
> http://techreports.isr.umd.edu/TechReports/ISR/2002/TR_2002-33/TR_2002-33.phtml
>
> Thank you.
> Regards,
> Dinesh
>
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Tan Kean Soon wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > Is there any protocol that does smart routing decisions by taking the  traffic load in the network  into consideration. Normally, route selection criteria uses metric such as shortest number of hops and quickest response time to a request. Such decision making  can lead to the situation where all packets are routed through the same node even if there exist better routes where the traffic load is not as large. Could somebody shed some light on this issue?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Kean Soon
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > manet mailing list
> > [email-masked]
> > https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
>

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet