Subject: [manet] Re: [geeks] Fwd: [BAWUG] I have a dream

From: S Woodside <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 01:34:06 -0500

On Thursday, April 3, 2003, at 04:38  AM, Trail of Chaos wrote:

> benchun <[email-masked]> writes:
>>> When I start pulling packets off the internet, they can come to me
>>> not only through my own DSL but from hers as well.
>
>> I need to be able to advertise my routing path to the internet.

> IPv6 is a red herring (and it's Never Gonna Happen).

IPv6 had a killer app (wireless cell phone stuff) that vanished into 
the wind. So now AFAI can tell, it's on the drawing board. If fixed 
wireless becomes a new killer app for IPv6, there's some hope to think 
that there might be interest in it again ... and one thing IPv6 has 
that the community wireless networks want is /lots/ of IP addresses.

IPv6 tunelling?

>> we need a way to handle the massive overload of routes at local scale,
>
> I agree -- http://www.megacz.com/psr.txt
>
> Source Routing is the only scalable solution.

??? broadcasting routing requests doesn't seem that scalable. Neither 
do huge route caches. I think that geographic routing has much more 
potential.

simon

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Claude Castelluccia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 09:33:22 +0200

S Woodside wrote:

> ??? broadcasting routing requests doesn't seem that scalable.

Hello,
I believe that source routing and routing requests broadcasting are 2
different things.
Source routing is used to route the packets from the source to the
destination and
as shown in http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/people/ccastel/RT4784.ps  this
can be made scalable.

Broadcasting the RREQ is used to discover
the route from the source to the destination and i agree with you that this
can be
a potential scalability problem...as you suggested a geographic approach
might be
useful here...
regards,
Claude.

--

----------------------------------------
Claude CASTELLUCCIA, INRIA Rhone-Alpes
ph:  +33 4.76.61.52.15 (fax: 52.52)
http://www.inrialpes.fr/planete/