Subject: [manet] Question about multiple IPs

From: Florian Schiel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 12:26:34 +0200 (MET DST)

Hello Folks,

I noticed in the recent discussion, that it seems a mobile node in 
a MANET can only have one single IP. To my knowledge, there is nothing
that stops us from assigning multiple IPs to a single interface of 
a device.

At least in IPv6, an interface almost always has more than one IP,
a link local one, and a global/site-local one.

So what stops us from assigning a link-local IP together with a stateless
autoconfigured MANET-IP and a global-scope IP statefully autoconfigured by
a gateway?

In IPv4 things should be similar.
I hope I am not mistaken here...

So long,

Florian Schiel    -    Siemens CT IC2 Internet and Mobility Lab
---------------------------------------------------------------
Siemens AG, CT IC2         phone: +49 89 636-50686
Otto-Hahn Ring 6           mail: [email-masked]
D-81730 Munich

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Christophe Jelger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 13:39:05 +0200

There is indeed nothing that stops a node to have multiple addresses. You
just have to be careful about how the routing protocol handles multiple
addresses, and how in practise you can use these addresses. In particular, a
few papers have proposed to have a site local address (MANET_PREFIX) to
communicate within the adhoc network, and a global address for
communications with the rst of the Internet. That's nice, but a
communication has to be initiated with the address for this mechanism to
work. If, for example, you use the name of a host whihc is in the adhoc
network, and assuming there is a DNS system, how can the DNS "guess" which
of the two addresses you want ? With the source address in the IPv6 header
(either global or site ?) ? This is not so straight forward ... ;-)

Christophe

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:40:03 -0400

At 12:26 PM 7/18/2003 +0200, Florian Schiel wrote:

>a MANET can only have one single IP. 

Where was that said?
We already run IPv6 manet networks where this is not true.

>a link local one, and a global/site-local one.

Agreed.

---

From: Frank Dinies <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:48:27 +0200

Hi,

by the way, it is possible to have a NIC with more than one ip-address 
configured. Under linux this is possible with the ifconfig command. this is 
interessting for anycast purposes for example

greeting

Frank

---

From: Joe Macker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2003 08:58:05 -0400

>interessting for anycast purposes for example

Agreed there is an important application for anycasting here.