Subject: [manet] bandwidth calculation at a node

From: Harpreet Arora <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 16:18:56 -0400

Hi,

I have read a number of papers offering QoS solutions in MANETs. Most of them 
assume that nodes somehow have an idea of the available bandwidth in their 
neighborhood and either pass this information around or make admission control 
decisions based on this information. The SWAN model computes bandwidth at a 
node by tapping all packet transmissions within the neighborhood of the node 
within a certain period of time and updating the estimate of the bandwidth 
being used based on that information. However, this does not capture the 
scenario where two nodes are within interfering range of each other but not in 
reception range. Are there any papers in this regard?

thanks,
Harpreet S. Arora

Research Assistant, ITCSL
Drexel University
Philadelphia, PA-19104
Ph: 215-895-6198

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Harpreet S. Arora
Research Assistant, ITCSL
Drexel University,
Philadelphia, PA-19104
Ph. # 215-895-6198
http://www.pages.drexel.edu/~ha33
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Ash Mohammad Abbas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 05:43:58 +0100 (BST)

Sir,
As if I know, there was a whole symposium on
inteference cancellation in IEEE VTC 2003 chaired by
Husain Arsalan, from University of Florida,  USA. I
suggest, search their website, and if you have
authorization to see IEEE Conference Proc., I think
you may get some papers on your problem.

Wish you best,
Regards,
Abbas
http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~abbas  

 --- Harpreet Arora <[email-masked]> wrote: > Hi,

________________________________________________________________________
Send free SMS using the Yahoo! Messenger. Go to http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/pc/

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:23:29 +0530 (IST)

Hi Arora,

Instead of taking the number of transmissions for bandwidth calculation,
One can try the channel's "idle time" during a time window under
consideration.

This can take in to account nodes presence in the interference range.

bsmanoj

-- 

-bsm..

B.S.Manoj, Research Scholar, High Performance Computing and Networking Lab,
CSE Dept., IIT Madras, India,  Ph: 5330 (Internal calls only).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's lucky you're going so slowly, because you're going in the wrong direction.

---

From: "Philippe Jacquet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 11:22:49 +0200

Hello, Harpreet,

We have extended the available bandwidth calculation per node (or per link)
up to an arbitrary number H_I of hops from the node. Interferences can
extend much further than one hop. With IEEE 802.11 the interference range
extend between two and three hops. However we prove in
http://www.inria.fr/rrrt/rr-4876.html that the problem of finding a route
that fits the bandwidth requirement of a new connection is NP hard in
general as soon as H_I>0. We show example with slotted ad hoc TDMA networks.
This result is in sharp contrast with wired network (H_I=0) where the
finding of an optimal route is polynomial.

Philippe