Subject: [manet] HELLO messages in AODV

From: Sergio Crisostomo <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:17:10 +0100

Hi all,

I've a question regarding HELLO message processing in AODV.

In draft-ietf-manet-aodv-13.txt, section 6.9 states:

1)  " A node SHOULD only use hello messages if it is part of an active 
route.".

Then, below in the same section it is stated:

2) "Whenever a node receives a Hello message from a neighbor, the
    node SHOULD make sure that it has an active route to the neighbor,
    and create one if necessary."

In the draft, active route is defined as:

" active route - A route towards a destination that has a routing table 
entry that is marked as valid.  Only active routes can be used to 
forward data packets. "

 From my understanding, this implies that once a node (say n1) 
broadcasts an HELLO, all neighboor nodes 'hearing' that HELLO 
(Neigh(n1)) will creat an ACTIVE routing entry to n1...
So, all Neigh(n1) MAY start brodcasting HELLOs..
Let's assume they do...

This implies that all nodes that have multihop radio connectivity to 
some node n1 which started brodcasting HELLOs will have active routes 
and all will brodcast HELLOs....
Please tell me if I'm wright...

If so, tell me if this correction to statement 1) above is correct:

"A node SHOULD only use hello messages if it is part of an active route 
WITH A NON EMPTY PRECURSOR LIST.".

Best Regards,

Sérgio.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet