Subject: [manet] IP adressing in Manet model

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:41:54 +0200 (CEST)

Hello, forgive me if the following question appears stupid to you.
In fact, I wondered simply if the concept of IP addressing such as one conceives
it in the wired networks or some wireless (wifi) isn't incompatible with Manet
model.
Let me explain: a priori, there are two different manners to allocate an address IP 
with a computer.:
	- by a provider or
	- by a DHCP server inside the network

However the concept of provider does not have any more sense in AD Hoc networks.
Ad indeed each node offers its resources (band-width, processor) to the other
nodes in a Community manner, so one can estimate that the need for a provider
becomes totally obsolete. Concerning a dhcp server, on which certain articles
are based, the difficulty of independence with respect to any infrastructure
arises. This is however the base of Manet concep. That's why I wondered whether
one could not consider that IP addresse of a node is allotted by the Ad hoc
network itself, i.e. by the other nodes. This could perhaps even make it
possible to ensure a better autentification. 
Forgive me if the question were already tackled but I did not find similar
thread in the archives.

Cordially, 
Jean-Marie ORSET

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Manish Karir <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:54:47 -0400

you might also want to checkout:

http://www.ee.ucl.ac.uk/lcs/papers2002/LCS120.pdf

for a third, hybrid kind of scheme for autoconfiguration, pick a random 
address first, then try to get a valid one from the nearest gateway...

-manish