Subject: [manet] Key management

From: Aruna Balasubramanian <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:55:35 -0400 (EDT)

Hi all,
   I am a student in the University at Buffalo and am working on security
for wireless networks.
I have developed a key management protocol but i am not sure how I can
test it. Even if i do use GlomoSim to simulate the protocol, how do i test
its usefulness in terms of security
Could someone please help
Thank you
Aruna

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 09:40:04 +0200

> Could someone please help

There are a number of formal methods that _TRY_ to verify the 
correctness of authentication protocolls etc. One of the basic 
mechanisms is the BAN logic. See

@article{ burrows90logic,
	author = "Michael Burrows and Mart{\'i}n Abadi and Roger M. Needham",
	title = "{A Logic of Authentication}",
	journal = "ACM Transactions on Computer Systems",
	volume = "8",
	number = "1",
	pages = "18--36",
	year = "1990" }

for details. There are a number of derived or similar mechanisms like 
GAN, Abadi-Tuttle etc. One could also use verification tools like the 
NRL analyzer.

Simulations will only give you information on runtime properties of your 
protocol, like overhead etc. To actually proof the correctness is a 
complex and hard job.

Regards ... Frank

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Frank Kargl          Multimedia Computing, University of Ulm, Germany
  Mail:[email-masked] http://www.uni-ulm.de/~fkargl/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
             But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
	  --->   CFP HICSS-37 Wireless PANs Minitrack:   <---
	  --->  http://crystal.uta.edu/~zaruba/hicss37/  <---