Subject: RE: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"*or highly* -mobile wi reless network?

From: "Krishnaswamy, Padma" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:54:29 -0400

Some questions and observations re OSPF adaptations, and other protocols
extending the earlier question from semi- to highly mobile  settings-

1)what is the  current assessment on how many nodes the various routing
protocol choices scale to? Ive seen references to 200 nodes as the area
limit  for OSPF on the mailing list from a long while ago.I dont remember if
that was for Area 0 or not. Im sure software's been optimized to do better
now. So what is the current ballpark for OSPF? (Bearing in mind that the
limits stated are  for a wireline net, we can assume the numbers handleable
for mobile nets would be less)

2)Is there similar data for the number of nodes that  can be handled by
OLSR/TBRPF/AODV? (presumably simulation based, in which case which mobility
models were used?)

3) From some of the cited references,  OSPF adaptations are stated as being
desirable becasue OSPF unlike the MANET wg-developed protocols  is
intrinsically geared to handling heterogeneous (hybrid?)  adhoc nets -can
handle varying metrics,and can be used to fit into larger internets easier
than a totally different protocol.

4) Some prospective  applications  also lean towards the use of OSPF but are
looking at highly mobile scenarios.
The ID by Fred Baker states that the point to multipoint interface is
probably the best, with some other features needed for multi area operation.
TOm Henderson mentioned their work on a new wireless interface that
externally could be abstracted as a pt-multipt.So point to multipoint looks
like the abstraction of choice, to represent the MANEt to OSPF.

In this case, in a hypothetical scenario with high mobility, would
multiarea operation be feasible given ABRs/DRs/MPRs might change the whole
time? Is there a way to let the underlying layer 2 protocols- (these are not
usually commercially available yet;  are often proprietary and combine a lot
self organization capabilities along  with routing) take over dealing with
the mobility as much as possible- assuming they scale- by using a limited
number of IP ospf routers at layer 3 to function as ABRs and letting  the
subsequent forwarding be handled at layer 2? A simplistic analogy would be
with an Ethernet where the default router would arp  for the destination,
then the forwarding would occur via the MAC layer. 

regards and tia  for any information on the above-

Padma

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Manral, Vishwas [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2003 4:03 AM
> To: 'Andreas Hafslund'; Emmanuel Baccelli; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [manet] OSPF vs OLSR/TBRPF for a "semi"-mobile wireless
> network?
> 
> 
> Hi Andreas,
> 
> > This is very interestihng. What kind of efforts? Where can
> > I find out more about them?
> I know Fred Baker presented the folowing in one of the 
> IETF's, which uses
> OSPFv3.
> 
> http://inet2002.org/CD-ROM/lu65rw2n/papers/ti3-b.pdf
> 
> Thomas Henderson had a paper on defining a new "wireless" 
> interface type for
> OSPFv2. Besides I know Cisco is working on the effort of 
> defining changes to
> OSPF for MANET.
> 
> Thanks and hope this helps,
> Vishwas 
> 
> > 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet