Subject: RE: [manet] Where to put on-demand routing protocol

From: "Youngmin Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:40:48 +0900

My question was not accuracy!!
 
Forwarding : forwarding to next hop, to send packets for destination, 
Routing ==> Routing protocol : making a routing table

I know that forwarding is separated from routing protocol in wired
network.
Then.. why is not so in adhoc network? 

Thanks..

-----Original Message-----
From: Ash Mohammad Abbas [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Wednesday, July 16, 2003 1:35 PM
To: Youngmin Kim
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [manet] Where to put on-demand routing protocol
 
Exactly! 
In ad hoc networks, there is a different scenario. In wired networks
there are separate nodes for forwarding, which are called routers as
opposed to ad hoc environment in which the participating nodes have
agreed to forward the packets of other nodes. In other words, every
participating node double as routers. Therfore, there is no separate
forwarding in ad hoc networks.

Youngmin Kim <[email-masked]> wrote: 
I know that forwarding is separated from routing in wired network.
Then.. why is not so in adhoc network? 
 
Thanks..

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Ash Mohammad Abbas
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 2:33 PM
To: Young-Jun Lee; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] Where to put on-demand routing protocol
 
Sir, 
Irrespective of the fact that a protocol is on-demand or pro-active, a
routing protocol will remain layer-3( Network Layer of OSI model)
protocol. After a route has been established, ofcourse, the protocol
might be used to send data packets. 
With best regards, 
Ash Mohammad Abbas 
http://www.cse.iitd.ernet.in/~abbas 
  Young-Jun Lee &lt;[email-masked]&gt; wrote: 
All,

In the INFOCOM paper 'Performance comparison of two on-demand routing
protocols for ad hoc networks' (S. Das, C. Perkins, and E. Royer),
the simulation model section says

"The routing model sees all data packets transmitted or forwarded, and
responds by invoking routing activities as appropriate".

Does it mean that on-demand routing protocol like AODV is between L3
and L4, or somewhere else?
Where exactly can on-demand protocols be in the protocol stack?

Young

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
 Yahoo! India Mobile <http://in.yimg.com/i/in/mobile/pctomob.gif>
<http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/pc/> SMS using the Yahoo!
<http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/pc/> Messenger; Download
<http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/>  latest version.
 Yahoo! India Mobile <http://in.yimg.com/i/in/mobile/pctomob.gif>
<http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/pc/> SMS using the Yahoo!
<http://in.mobile.yahoo.com/new/pc/> Messenger; Download
<http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/>  latest version.