Subject: [manet] Hidden Terminal Problem

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2003 15:43:01 +0100

Dear All : 

Can somebody tell me whether the IEEE 802.11 DCF can completely avoid 
'Hidden-Terminal' problem with the use of RTS-CTS, physical carrier-sensing 
and NAV in multihop MANET ? Does it depends on distance between  nodes and 
RTS & CTS duration ? Even if there is a chance for hidden terminal problem 
in multihop ad hoc networks, does IEEE 802.11 DCF mode operation in single 
hop environment completely avoid hidden-terminal problem. 

Cheers 

SIVA

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Zhenqiang(Frank) Ye" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 09:58:12 -0700 (PDT)

IEEE 802.11 DCF can not completely avoid "hidden terminal problem".  If
all the mobile nodes are within the sensing range of each other (not
necessarily within one hop), hidden terminal problem will not occur.

-- 

****************************************
Zhenqiang(Frank) Ye
Ph.D Student
Department of Electrical Engineering
University of California, Riverside
Phone: (909)-787-2434
email: [email-masked]
****************************************

---

From: "Chi-Hsiang Yeh" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 05:38:07 -0400

IEEE 802.11 adaptors are typically able to transmit packets at multiple
power levels. When some nodes/packets use lower power levels and some other
nodes/packets use higher power levels, the IEEE 802.11 DCF mode cannot
completely avoid the hidden terminal problem even if it's a single hop
environment or all the nodes are within the sensing range of each other (for
transmissions at maximum/higher power levels).

DBTMA (based on busy tone) can completely avoid the hidden terminal problem,
but it assumes fixed transmission power. Some CDMA-based MAC schemes can
completely avoid the problem. A scheme in the following paper (based on what
we call "collision prevention") can also completely avoid the hidden
terminal problem in either single-hop or multihop environments.

Yeh, C.-H., "High-throughput Interference-aware MAC Protocols for
Heterogeneous Ad Hoc Networks and Multihop Wireless LANs," Proc. IEEE
Globecom'03, Dec. 2003, to appear.

Chihsiang

___________________________________________________________

Chi-Hsiang Yeh (Mr./Dr./Prof.)
Dept. of Electrical & Computer Eng.
Queen's University
Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6
Canada

phone:  now: 1-702-730-7777 ext 30205 
(+1 613-533-6368 office)
fax:    +1 613-533-6615
e-mail: [email-masked] , [email-masked]
URL:    http://www.ece.queensu.ca/hpages/faculty/yeh/
___________________________________________________________

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Zhenqiang(Frank) Ye
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2003 12:58 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] Hidden Terminal Problem

--