Subject: Re: [manet] Replication in wireless ad hoc networks

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Aug 2003 08:48:11 -0700

my original response was perhaps a bit tart.

CVS= concurrent version system.  No, not a URL and not a mailing list. 
CVS is commonly used by distributed developments to keep the code base
consistent -- FreeBSD and Linux developments are a couple good examples
where there are dozens of people working on various parts of the OS. 
CVS keeps the discipline.  It's evolved from the venerable unix RCS and
SCCS (source code control system).
	CVS, under the hood, has a directory with base files and then a bunch
of deltas to those files -- the 'current' file version may not actually
exist.  

rsynch is a unix command (smaller scale than CVS which is several
commands).  shorthand for remote synchronization.  You put an rsynch
host on the network, work on a client, and then rsynch the target
directory to the host.  Updates.  More sophisticated than a raw backup
-- it only changes the things that changed (files with date changes and
inside them only the changes, not the whole file).  

Both of these command sets work fine for maintaining consistency across
text files (they're most heavily used for computer code).  Work fine for
a distributed document editing exercise -- particularly if you're
editing in, say, HTML rather than Word (or, perish, PowerPoint).  They
don't work as well for binary files (incrementals are hard to ID). 

WRT manet issues, the salient drawback is that these are both
centralized -- there has to be a central CVS or rsynch host.   

On Sat, 2003-08-23 at 07:55, Jack Wang wrote:
> Could you please tell me the URL of the two lists?
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Jack
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  --- On Fri 08/22, Rex Buddenberg < [email-masked] > wrote:
> From: Rex Buddenberg [mailto: [email-masked]]
> To: [email-masked]
>      Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: 22 Aug 2003 08:54:51 -0700
> Subject: Re: [manet] Replication in wireless ad hoc networks
> 
> you're on the wrong list; look up 'cvs' and 'rsynch'<br><br>On Fri, 2003-08-22 at 02:36, Alistair Harris wrote:<br>> Hello everyone,<br>> I'm a new research student focussing on broadly on the area of data <br>> replication in wireless ad hoc networks. Specifically, I would like to <br>> investigate issues concerning the management of mutiple copies of a document <br>> and the subsequent requirement to reconcile any changes to produce a 'final' <br>> document.<br>> <br>> I would like to know if anyone is doing related work in this area or know of <br>> any good sources of information.<br>> <br>> Thanks<br>> <br>> Regards<br>> <br>> _________________________________________________________________<br>> Find a cheaper internet access deal - choose one to suit you. <br>> http://www.msn.co.uk/internetaccess<br>> <br>> <br>> _______________________________________________<br>> manet mailing list<br>> [email-masked]<br>> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet<br>-- <br>b<b!
 r>!
>  <br><br>_______________________________________________<br>manet mailing list<br>[email-masked]<br>https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet<br>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
> The most personalized portal on the Web!
> 
> _______________________________________________
> manet mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet
-- 
b

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet