Subject: [manet] CFP: Deadline is rapidly approaching: JSAC Special Issue on Wireless Ad Hoc Networks

From: Jeff Wieselthier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 14:31:07 -0400

CALL FOR PAPERS
             IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications
                        WIRELESS AD HOC NETWORKS

http://www.argreenhouse.com/society/J-SAC/Calls/wireless_adhoc.html

Novel approaches are needed to address ad hoc networks, which are 
characterized by the lack of an infrastructure.  For example, 
point-to-point and point-to-multipoint modes of communication must be 
supported in a multihop network that typically consists of small 
(often disadvantaged) users that are characterized by severely 
limited energy supply, signal-processing capability, antenna 
directivity, bandwidth, etc.  Crucial applications for mobile ad hoc 
networks include military communications and disaster relief, 
although commercial applications are certainly possible as well.  In 
applications with a large number of nodes, scalability is a major 
concern.

The study of ad hoc networks is an interdisciplinary one, which can 
potentially incorporate communication and information theory, 
distributed networking algorithms, data structures and compression, 
coding, signal processing, detection, antenna characteristics, 
optimization methods, simulation, testbed implementations etc. 
Papers submitted for this special issue must directly address ad hoc 
networking issues. 

We outline here only a few of the many aspects of ad hoc network 
design and control that will be addressed in this special issue. 
First, distributed network organization algorithms (such as those for 
clustering) may be used to create the equivalent of an ad hoc 
infrastructure.  Distributed algorithms are also needed for routing, 
channel access, and other control functions.  Networking techniques 
for ad hoc networks must address the challenges imposed by the 
all-wireless environment.  For example, by contrast with wired 
networks, the conventional layered protocol stack is not well suited 
to the ad hoc wireless networking environment because it does not 
exploit the potential improvements in performance that can be 
obtained by jointly designing protocols that span multiple layers. 
Specifically, it is expected that improved performance can be 
obtained by considering the properties of the physical and data link 
layers when designing and operating the media-access control (MAC) 
protocol.  Similarly, there are potential benefits to be obtained by 
developing protocols that address jointly the routing and MAC 
functions.  Additional benefits can be obtained by jointly addressing 
higher-layer functions along with routing and MAC.  Energy-aware 
protocols (from the perspective of either energy-efficient or 
energy-constrained operation) are of critical importance in many ad 
hoc scenarios.  Such energy-aware operation can span multiple layers, 
e.g., by addressing trade-offs between energy used for RF 
transmission and for signal processing.

It is the goal of this special issue to reflect the latest in the 
state of the art in ad hoc networks by examining all aspects of ad 
hoc network design and control, including the dependencies between 
various network functions and the potential benefits that can be 
gained by cross-layer design.  We are interested in papers on 
fundamental performance limits, but more importantly on algorithm 
design and performance, system implementations, etc.

We are seeking papers that describe original and unpublished 
contributions addressing various aspects of ad hoc networking. 
Possible topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

      * Physical layer issues in ad hoc networks
      * Media Access Control (MAC) techniques
      * Self-organizing architectures and protocols
      * Routing protocols
      * Cross-layer protocol design
      * Mobility management
      * Protocols for mobile applications
      * Transport-layer issues
      * Signal-processing issues in ad hoc networks
      * Integration with wired networks
      * Applications
      * Energy-aware protocols
      * Security in ad hoc networks
      * Capacity and scheduling
      * Node implementation
      * Effects on existing protocols
      * Quality of service
      * Broadcasting and multicasting
      * Multimedia and traffic integration
      * Experiments and testbeds
      * Error-control schemes
      * Synchronization and scheduling
      * Scalability
      * Performance analysis and simulation
      * Properties of antennas
      * Optimization methods
      * Fundamental limits in ad hoc networks

All papers on any of the above topics must include a definite and 
strong connection to ad hoc networks.  Please contact Jeffrey 
Wieselthier at [email-masked] if there are any 
questions about the suitability of the paper for this special issue. 

Prospective authors should prepare their manuscripts in accordance 
with the IEEE J-SAC format described in the Information for Authors 
at the J-SAC website.  All papers should be submitted in pdf format 
via email to Jeffrey Wieselthier at [email-masked] 
according to the following timetable:

      Manuscript Submission:     October 15, 2003
      Acceptance Notification:   April 1, 2004
      Final Manuscript Due:      June 1, 2004
      Publication:               4th Quarter 2004

                        Guest Editors

Dr. Jeffrey E. Wieselthier, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, 
DC, [email-masked]

Prof. Eitan Altman, INRIA, Sophia-Antipolis, Cedex, FRANCE, 
[email-masked]

Prof. Anthony Ephremides, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 
[email-masked]

Mr. Joseph Macker, Naval Research Laboratory, Washington, DC, 
[email-masked]

Prof. Harlan B. Russell, Clemson University, Clemson, SC, 
[email-masked]

Dr. Martha Steenstrup, Stow Research L.L.C., Flanders, NJ, [email-masked]

Prof. Stephen Wicker, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY, [email-masked]