Subject: Re: [manet] Question: Scalalbe DSDV code in ns-2?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:33:11 +1100

Hi Jangeun,

I am not sure why you want run such a large number of nodes.
I dont think DSDV or any other proactive routing protocol
would scale to such a large number of nodes, as the number of
update packets would overwelm the network, not mension that
your simulator would crash or run for a very very long time
regardless of what simulation tool you use (NS, glomosim..etc).

I dont know of any proposed MANET routing protocol
proven to run such a large network. 

Regards,
Mehran
--------------------------------

Dear sir or madam,

I am a Ph.D. student at NC State University.
As it's clearly shown in ns-2's DSDV source code (dsdv.cc),
the current
ns-2 DSDV protocol is not scalable. The maximum number of
entries in an
update packet is around 100 and nodes cannot generate multiple
packets for one update.

Since I need to run very large DSDV scenario (100,000 nodes), I am
looking for a *scalable* DSDV model written in ns-2.
Your tip will be greatly appreciated.

(I posted this question on ns-2 mailing list but no answer. I hope
that there is an improved DSDV model done by an expert in this
manet
circle.)

Regards,

-Jangeun Jun

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Jangeun Jun <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 23:51:49 -0500 (EST)

Hi,
Thank you Peter, thank you Mehran, I appreciate your prompt reponses.
I agree that 100K is somewhat unrealistic number.
Then, how about 1K? (or hopefully 10K?)

I need to compare the performance of a new algorithm with existing ones
(DSDV, DSR, AODV, TORA and so on...). And I don't think it's a good idea
to compare the performance only up to 100 nodes because of DSDV. (Other
models seem to be OK... Why only DSDV?)

I agree that DSDV is not scalable by its nature. But that's what we want
to simulate. The restriction of 100 nodes is really painful. I mean it
can be difficult to tell the difference with only 100 nodes.

Can anyone please let me know if there is *any* version of DSDV model
written in ns-2 that overcame the 100-node limit?
Or, has anyone tried to modify the ns-2's "dsdv.cc" code to enable
multiple packets per update?

Regards,

-Jangeun Jun

>Hi
>I dont think that you can manage to run such scenario realistically.
>If anyone did, I am really interested to know.
>BTW, I heard someone has run a network of 10000 nodes using AODV...
>
>Cheers
>Peter Pham

---

From: Kenneth Brayer <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 15:05:51 -0500

Jangeun

You have another problem. Mario Gerla of UCLA, CS Dept., gave a talk in 
a panel discussion at Milcom 2002 pointing out that ns-2 is very slow 
above a few hundred nodes. He suggested Qualnet as a simulator for large 
networks and ran a 1000 node example of I think LANMAR above AODV(?). It 
took minutes. He said ns-2 would run for like days(?). Mario can 
probably give you better info.
Ken

-- 
Kenneth Brayer
Fellow of the IEEE
M/S B312
The MITRE Corporation
202 Burlington Road
Bedford, MA 01730

e-mail: [email-masked]
tele: 781-271-5254
fax: 781-271-2841

---

From: Val Naoumov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:00:53 +0100

Kenneth is right - the main problem not in DSDV code to ns-2 but in ns-2 
itself.

We modified ns-2 in order to improve performance results (runtime).
Our modification of ns-2 is based on the idea of exploiting the limited 
interference of wireless communication. The modified simulator has 
simulated populations of up to 3000 nodes so far and works 2-20 times 
faster than the original version. The speedup depends on the number of 
nodes, the size of the simulation area and on the data traffic. The 
higher the number of nodes and the larger the simulation area, the 
better the runtime improvement (provided there exists sufficient data 
traffic).

We presented the fast ns-2 in MSWiM 2003 paper:
	http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/940991.941001

Valeri Naoumov
--
Institute of Computer Systems
ETH Zurich
Switzerland
http://www.inf.ethz.ch/~naoumov

---

From: "dholmer" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 13:39:41 -0500

This modification sounds great. Can you make a patch available for
download or post it to the list? We've been running some large
simulations recently and would greatly appreciate a speed boost.

- David Holmer

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
Val Naoumov
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 4:01 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: [manet] Question: Scalalbe DSDV code in ns-2? ANSWER:
Scalable ns-2.

itself.

Valeri Naoumov