Subject: [manet] radio propagation range in Glomosim

From: Suprio Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 16:29:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hi,
Can anyone suggest me how the radio propagation range in Glomosim can
be varied/changed?

Thanks in advance,
Suprio
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rachit Chawla <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:18:27 -0700 (PDT)

hi,

There is a utility in radio_range in main directory. If you run that with
your config.in file, it will print the calculated the radio range.

The radio range can be changed by changing RADIO-TX-POWER in the config 
file.

Thanks,
Rachit.

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
			Rachit Chawla
			MS/PhD, Computer Engineering
			Electrical & Computer Engineering Department
			University of California,
			Santa Barbara
------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Justin Lipman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 11:47:59 +1000

Hi,

Do you mean on a per packet basis or for the duration of a simulation run?

Per packet basis involves some modification to glomosim.

For simulation run, you can change RADIO-TX-POWER in "config.in"

Alternatively each node's radio can be have its own power setting.
Take a look a glomosim/radio/radio*.pc 

regards,
Justin

-- 
PhD Candidate
Telecommunications & Information Technology Research Institute
School of Computer, Electrical & Telecommunications Engineering
University of Wollongong, Australia 
http://www.titr.uow.edu.au/~justin

---

From: Suprio Ray <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2003 19:15:58 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Justin and Rachit,
Yes I just like it for the duration of the simulation.

According to the 802.11 specification the transmission power is 100 mW
(max) and transmission range is 300m (outdoor) and 100m (indoor).

But in the config.in file of GlomoSim, the default value of RADIO-TX-POWER
is  15.0 dBm (equvalent to 32mW). And the radio_range program gives radio
range of 376.782m.

So, have any of you actually tried with some values that conforms to the
correct 802.11 specification? Or is there a way to directly set something
like TRANSMISSION-RANGE rather than fiddling with RADIO-TX-POWER?

Thanks.
-Suprio
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 09:13:48 +0530 (IST)

Hi:

In older versions of glomosim, the range can be specified in the
config.in file in meters or in dBms. The following config.in file entries
are used.
RADIO-TX-POWER       12     #//dBm
POWER-RANGE          250    #//meters

Recent versions, (I believe from V 2.0) the range can be specified in
dBm (as transmission power) only.
Set the value for RADIO-TX-POWER in the config.in file.

Hope this helps
bsmanoj

-- 

-bsm..

B.S.Manoj, Research Scholar, High Performance Computing and Networking Lab,
CSE Dept., IIT Madras, India,  Ph: 5330 (Internal calls only).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------