Subject: [manet] MS Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and MANET

From: Laurent Dehoey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Feb 2004 13:55:18 +0100

Hello,

While testing some implementations of MANET routing protocols
on MS Windows XP+2000+debian i was wondering if someone has
already achieved a succesfull "Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing"
among members of an ad hoc network
(The ADSL gateway will be an MSWindows XP Pro)

Internet Connection Sharing documentation specify that the gateway's leg 
IP@ to the network
be 192.168.0.1 and every other members of the network (MANET Nodes) get 
an IP@
in the range of 192.168.0.2-254

I suppose i could try to join directly the maintainers of each of the
implementation i choosed to test, but maybe they are already
reading that post ;-)
what i need is an hit to "fill" the different parameters of that four
"routing daemon" running on every nodes of the manet and in
particular on the gateway.

The 802.11b PCMCIA Cards are manufactured by "Connectland"
and are relatively cheap

1- OLSR for windows 2000 and Pocket PC
http://reptar.grc.upv.es/~calafate/olsr/download/wolsrd_b.exe 
<http://reptar.grc.upv.es/%7Ecalafate/olsr/download/wolsrd_b.exe>
Admin@TOSH-11K /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Admin/Mes 
documents/16490/Routage_Ad_Hoc/olsr
$ ./wolsrd_b.exe
usage: olsrd [ -s ] [ -q ] [ -d ] [ -t ] [ -i 'interface file'] [ -g ] [ 
'trace file' ]

2- OLSR11win
http://www.grc.upv.es/software/intro_OLSR11win.html
Admin@TOSH-11K /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Admin/Mes 
documents/16490/Routage_Ad_Hoc/olsr/OLSRwin/OLSRwin
$ olsr.exe
Usage: olsr -d <main_iface_name> [-i <iface_name>]*       [-g] [-n 
<network> <netmask>]* [-t <default|high|full>] [-h]

3- JAdhoc
http://www.aodv.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=2 
<http://www.aodv.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownload&cid=2>
Admin@TOSH-11K /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/Admin/Mes 
documents/16490/Routage_Ad_Hoc/JadHoc/jadhoc-0.11/jadhoc-0.11
$ java -jar jadhoc.jar sample-windows-xp-jadhoc.cfg <== the config file, 
accessible with the help of a java GUI

J-Adhoc - AODV Protocol Handler
Designed & developed at ComNets, ikom,
University of Bremen, Germany - 2003
Implements IETF RFC, 3561

4- LUNAR Windows
http://sourceforge.net/projects/service11/
- configuring the service (seems to work in XP ?)
- address in lunar..ip file

TIA for your comments or your questions

Laurent Dehoey

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Andreas Tønnesen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 15:08:22 +0100

Hi Laurent,                                                                         
                                                                                    
I am not familiar with the MS "internet connection sharing" protocol -              
but it seems to me like it works a lot like network address                         
translation(NAT). So just out of curiosity - why not use regular NAT                
on the gateway?                                                                     
                                                                                    
A protcol like OLSR can use HNA that allows gateways to inject                      
information into the MANET about what networks they can reach.                      
The nodes in the network will then just add the closest gateway as a                
"regular IP routing gateway" in the routing table.                                  
It sounds to me like MS ICS needs some more parameters - but if this                
is not the case then normal HNA operation ought to be sufficient if                 
the gateway is correctly configured. So any OLSR implementation that                
implements HNA sould work for you.                                                  
                                                                                    
Just seems to me like MS ICS imposes more limitations(limits address                
space and perhaps locks you to the windows platform?) then NAT which                
is a widley used and relativly transparent way of sharing a global                  
IP address.                                                                         
                                                                                    
just my thoughts                                                                    
                                                                                    
regards,
Andreas T

-- 
Andreas Tønnesen([email-masked])
UniK University Graduation Center
University of Oslo
http://www.olsr.org

---

From: Laurent Dehoey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 00:40:44 +0100

Hi Andreas

>translation(NAT). So just out of curiosity - why not use regular NAT 

yes one can say that concerning the regular nodes inside the MANET,
using MSICS or a
standard NAT box, it will looks the same.
i'm testing an all MS solution (aka MSICS) because my laptop (in
particular it's pcmcia slots)
is not completly well supported by my day to day debian distrib. :-(

>implements HNA sould work for you.

my question was in fact to ask help in correctly configuring the gateway
(and the nodes too)
using one of those two MSWindows implementations of OLSR .
your answer make me wonder if they have HNA implemented in their
code...it seems ok
for OLSR11Win but i couldn't find easily a reference to HNA in wolsrd_b
source code

>>http://www.grc.upv.es/software/intro_OLSR11win.html

what about JAdhoc and LUNAR + MSICS ?

regards,
Laurent