Subject: [manet] A topology control question?

From: "Dong Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:18:23 -0600

Hi,
 
    Recently, I read several papers about topology control. My
understanding is that, topology control algorithms generate, or derive,
a simpler topology from the original one constructed under the common
maximum transmission range. And all routing algorithms then select
routes based on the new topology. 
 
    Here are several points that I don't quite understand:

1.	While maintaining connectivity, topology control aims at saving
energy by considering each node or considering the network as a whole?
2.	Seems each node adjusts its transmission level only when the
original network topology has been changed, no matter which node it's
going to transmit data to, does it?
3.	Topology control removes some connectivity information from the
original topology, however, I observed that such a removed link between
a node and one of its neighbors may be the part of the optimal route
(which costs the lest energy) to a destination, therefore topology
control actually deviates from its purpose -- save energy.

    I will appreciate your explanation. Thank you.
 
Gary W
University of Minnesota