Subject: [manet] CfP Wireless Personal Area and Ad-hoc Networks Minitrack at HICSS-38

From: Frank Kargl <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:20:29 +0100

Please accept our apologies if you receive this CfP multiple times.

                         CALL FOR PAPERS
            Wireless Personal Area and Ad-hoc Networks
              Part of the Software Technologies Track

                       Thirty-eighth Annual
        HAWAI'I INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON SYSTEM SCIENCES

                        January 3 - 6, 2005
                  Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
                    on the Big Island of Hawaii

     Additional detail may be found on HICSS primary web site:
                    http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu
       Mirror sites: http://hicss.sepa.tudelft.nl/      and
                 http://www.is.cityu.edu.hk/hicss/

  Minitrack web site: http://crystal.uta.edu/~zaruba/hicss38/

MINITRACK CO-CHAIRS
      Dr. Frank Kargl, University of Ulm, Germany
        ([email-masked])
      Dr. Elaine Lawrence, University of Technology, Sydney
        ([email-masked])
      Prof. Gergely Záruba, University of Texas at Arlington, USA
        ([email-masked])

SCOPE OF MINITRACK

This minitrack will cover both the area of Wireless Personal Area
Networks (WPANs) and Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (MANETs).

Wireless personal area networks (WPANs) are short to very short-
range wireless networks that can be used to exchange information
between devices in the reach of a person. WPANs can be used to
replace cables between computers and their peripherals, to
establish communities helping people do their everyday chores
making them more productive, or to establish location aware
services. Today PDAs, phones, laptops include WPAN technology and
it is predicted that the number of small WPAN enabled devices
(e.g., pens, cameras, headsets, various sensors) will soon
outnumber the computers on the Internet.

A typical example of a WPAN technology is Bluetooth. Research
work in the recent years (incl. the one published as part of
former WPAN minitracks at HICSS) shows, that there are numerous
interesting new application ideas but also a number of unresolved
technical issues (such as speeding up the inquiry process,
efficient Scatternet routing, etc).

The IEEE 802 committee has also realized the importance of short-
range wireless networking and initiated the establishment of the
IEEE 802.15 working group to standardize protocols and interfaces
for wireless personal area networking. Today, WPAN research
covers a very broad area, starting from technical issues like
automatic formation of networks or security issues and going up
all the stack to the question what kind of applications will be
used in WPANs.

The construction of more complex networks using WPAN technology
leads to the second topic of our minitrack: Mobile Ad-hoc
Networks. Whereas the idea of creating infrastructure-less mobile
networks dates back into the seventies (e.g. the PRNET
experiment) and to early experiments in the military sector it is
not until the nineties that this form of networks received a
significant attention in the research community. The initial but
still ongoing works focused on developing different routing
protocols for MANETs, like AODV, DSR, OLSR and many more. Later
other aspects of MANETs were included, like security, quality of
service, and applications. Today research in ad-hoc networks
gathers mostly around the IETF MANET working group, continuing
the research in routing protocols, and the IRTF ANS research
group, focusing in the scalability of ad hoc networks. Today ad
hoc networks are one of the most active research fields in the
area of wireless networking. In addition to the question on how
routing in MANETs should be organized, a lot of surrounding
issues regarding MANETs are not yet resolved (like security, QoS,
scalability issues, application scenarios, etc.).

Another key issue is the inter-working of wireless technologies
to create heterogeneous wireless networks. For instance, WPANs,
WLANs and MANETs will enable an extension of the third generation
(3G) cellular networks (i.e., UMTS and cdma2000) into devices
without direct cellular access thus pointing towards next
generation wireless networking. Moreover, devices interconnected
in a WPAN may form larger MANETs or may be able to utilize a
combination of 3G access and WLAN access by selecting the access
that is best for the moment. In such networks 3G, WLAN, MANET and
WPAN technologies do not compete against each other but enable
the user to select the best connectivity for his/her purposes.

Our goal is to bring together leading researchers in the two
fields of research in order to present new results and discuss
synergies between the two areas.

Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

  * Bluetooth based networks
    (e.g. Inquiry, Scatternet-Routing, Profiles, Applications, etc.)
  * Mobile Ad-hoc Networks
    (e.g. Routing, Scalability, Address-Assignment, ...)
  * Performance evaluations
  * Security issues
  * Privacy and Legal Issues
  * Service discovery and usage
  * Interoperability between different wireless networking
    technologies and heterogeneous wireless infrastructures
  * Applications
  * New forms of communications in WPANs and MANETs
    (e.g. using the P2P paradigm in MANETs)

IMPORTANT DEADLINES
March 31, 2004   Authors contact Minitrack Chairs for guidance
                  and indication of appropriate content. (Optional)

June 15, 2004    Authors submit full papers to the appropriate
                  Minitrack following format and submission
                  instructions on the web site.

August 15, 2004  Minitrack Chairs send Acceptance/Rejection
                  notices to Authors.

October 1, 2004  Authors submit Final Version of paper
                  electronically to publisher. At least one author
                  of each paper must register by this date to attend
                  the conference to present the paper.

December 1, 2004 Deadline to guarantee your hotel room
                  reservation at the conference rate.

INSTRUCTIONS FOR PAPER SUBMISSION
* HICSS papers must contain original material not previously
   published, or currently submitted elsewhere.

* Consult the conference website for the listing and description
   of Minitracks for HICSS-38.

* (optional) Contact the Minitrack Chair(s) by email for
   guidance and verification of appropriate content.

* Do not submit the manuscript to more than one Minitrack Chair.
   If unsure of which Minitrack is appropriate, submit abstract to
   the Track Chair for guidance.

* Submit your full paper according to the detailed formatting and
   submission instructions found on the HICSS website. Note: All
   papers will be submitted in double column publication format and
   limited to 10 pages including diagrams and references.

HICSS-38 CONFERENCE TRACKS
* Collaboration Systems and Technology - Co-Chair: Jay Nunamaker;
   E-mail:  [email-masked]; Co-Chair: Robert O. Briggs;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
* Complex Systems - Chair: Robert Thomas; E-mail: [email-masked]
* Decision Technologies for Management - Chair: Dan Dolk;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
* Digital Documents and the Media - Chair: Michael Shepherd;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
* Emerging Technologies - Chair: Ralph H. Sprague;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
* Information Technology in Health Care - Chair: William Chismar;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
* Internet & the Digital Economy - Co-Chair: David King;
   E-mail: [email-masked]
   Co-Chair: Alan Dennis; E-mail: [email-masked]
* Organizational Systems & Technology - Chair: Hugh Watson;
   Email: [email-masked]
* Software Technology - Chair: Gul Agha; E-mail: [email-masked]

HICSS conferences are devoted to advances in the information,
computer, and system sciences, and encompass developments in both
theory and practice.   Invited papers may be theoretical,
conceptual, tutorial or descriptive in nature.  Submissions
undergo a peer referee process and those selected for
presentation will be published in the Conference Proceedings.
Submissions must not have been previously published.

For the latest information; visit the HICSS web site at:
http://www.hicss.hawaii.edu
or the mirror sites   : http://hicss.sepa.tudelft.nl/      and
http://www.is.cityu.edu.hk/hicss/

CONFERENCE ADMINISTRATION
Ralph Sprague, Conference Chair
Email:  [email-masked]

Sandra Laney, Conference Administrator
Email:  [email-masked]

Eileen Robichaud Dennis, Track Administrator
Email: [email-masked]

2005 CONFERENCE VENUE
Hilton Waikoloa Village (on the Big Island of Hawaii)
425 Waikoloa Beach Drive
Waikoloa, Hawaii 96738
Tel: 1-808-886-1234
Fax: 1-808-886-2900
www.hiltonwaikoloavillage.com

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dr. Frank Kargl   Multimedia Computing/University of Ulm/Germany
               http://medien.informatik.uni-ulm.de/~frank/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Use the SOURCE, Luke !  I feel a great disturbance in the SOURCE.
             But beware of the Microsoft side of the SOURCE !

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet