Subject: [manet] DMS 2004, MM streaming in ad hoc networks CFP

From: Hung Quang Ngo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:09:52 -0600 (CST)

CALL FOR PAPERS

Special Session on Multimedia Streaming in Ad hoc Networks at the 2004
International Conference on Distributed Multimedia Systems (DMS ?04)
Website: http://www.ksi.edu/seke/dms04.html

Hotel Sofitel, San Francisco Bay, California
September 8 - 10, 2004

Multimedia streaming is one the most popular services on the current
Internet. Its already-high demand is even on the rise as the Internet
users have started to be familiar with peer-to-peer (P2P) technologies
which enable them to share contents between one another directly.
Streaming in the P2P manner, in contrast to the traditional client/server
approach, takes advantage of existing end-system computational and
networking resources, thus allowing economical clients to leverage their
collective power to benefit the entire service community. However,
multimedia content is resource demanding while user computing devices are
not as powerful as are content servers. Consequently, designing a good
decentralized streaming scheme in a large-scale peer-to-peer environment
is challenging. The problem becomes more of a challenge due to the ad hoc
behavior of peers; they can leave and join the system freely at any time.

As people tend to work beyond their office desk, it is also expected that the
next generation of communication networks includes rapid deployments of
independent mobile users. With the emergence of wireless technologies
such as IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth, mobile users are enabled to connect to
each other directly without any networking infrastructure such as the
Internet and infrastructure-based wireless LANs. In other words, the users
form a mobile ad hoc network (MANET). As multimedia streaming becomes an
integrated part of an increasing number of applications and wireless networks
are emerging to dominate the communication environment of the future,
it is interesting and worthwhile to investigate multimedia streaming
solutions for MANETs. There are many open issues regarding this investigation
due to the deviation between the resource, energy, and bandwidth availability
of ad hoc networks and the quality of service desired by multimedia streaming
users.

This special session seeks original contributions of high-quality papers
that address novel systems challenges towards the success of multimedia
streaming deployment in peer-to-peer and wireless ad hoc networks. Topics
of interest include but are not limited to:

* Information theories to support ad hoc multimedia streaming
* Modeling, measurement, and performance study on ad hoc multimedia streaming
* Internet P2P multimedia streaming
* P2P multimedia content distribution networks
* Ad hoc overlay solutions for multimedia streaming
* Live streaming, video on demand, and video conferencing in wireless ad
hoc networks
* Network and transport protocols for streaming in wireless ad hoc networks
* Management, QoS, and security aspects in streaming over wireless ad
hoc networks
* Streaming applications in sensor networks
* Implementations of multimedia streaming in ad hoc networks

Please consult the special session co-chairs (see below) for further
information about the scope of the special session.

Important Dates

	March 31, 2004    Paper submission due
   	June 1, 2004     	Notification of acceptance
   	July 1, 2004      Final manuscript due
   	July 1, 2004      Early conference registration due

Special Session Co-Chairs

        Hung Q. Ngo, University at Buffalo, SUNY ([email-masked])
	Thinh Nguyen, Lawrence Livermore National Lab ([email-masked])
        Duc A. Tran, University of Dayton, USA ([email-masked])

Information for Authors

Prospective authors are invited to submit their draft papers in PS or PDF
format to one of the co-chairs via electronic mail. Submitted papers must
be original, unpublished work, and not currently under review for any
other conference or journal. The first page of the paper should include
the authors' names, affiliations, fax/telephone numbers, and e-mail
addresses. The first page should also include a less-than-200-word
abstract. The camera-ready version for an accepted paper will be no more
than 6 pages in IEEE double-column standard format.

Contributions will be reviewed by at least three referees from both the
program committee and external reviewers for originality, significance,
clarity, soundness, relevance, and technical contents on basis of papers.
The accepted papers will be published in the 2004 DMS conference proceedings.

Special Issue of Journals

Top ranked accepted papers will be fast-tracked to a special issue of an
international journal, subject to the review by the program committee.
Papers suggested for the special issue will then be reviewed by
external reviewers following the standard procedure of review stipulated
by the international journal.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet