Subject: [manet] Doubt in RTS/CTS

From: Geethapriya Thamilarasu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 18:30:31 -0500 (EST)

Hi all,

I have a doubt with RTS/CTS transmission at the link layer.
Suppose I have a DSR routing protocol that is sending a RREQ packet in the
network, does the RTS/CTS transmission occur before the RREQ is sent ?
Or is RTS/CTS sent only for data packets.

Please clarify!

Geethapriya

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Kan Cai <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:37:27 -0800 (PST)

No, RTS/CTS exchange happens when the packet is a unicast pkt. Since RREQ
is a broadcast packet, there is no need.

Also, there is option in specification that allows you to stop using
RTS/CTS for small unicast packet.

Hope this helps.
--ken