Subject: [manet] Traffic Mode/Model of Ad Hoc Sensor Networks

From: "Z. Maria Wang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 10:40:08 -0500

Dear All,

Would anybody suggest a well-established or well-applied traffic model for wireless ad hoc sensor network? Someone used uniform distribution for each node. I personally do not incline to it. 
Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot,

Zheng Maria Wang

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Feb 2004 08:55:04 -0800

Highly dependent on the sensor and it's application, would seem to me. 
Here's one example:

Consider a laydown of sensors doing, say, sniffing for chem/bio agents. 
(The specific environment -- whether military formation force protection
or a city's civil defense, is not terribly relevant).  

Each of these sensors is implemented as a toaster -- has a net
interface, packages it's messages in e-mail and has an SNMP agent in
it.  Some sensors would be fixed, others mobile.  The fixed sensors
would likely not be on a MANET segment but the mobile ones could be.

The character of the traffic would probably be of two flavors:
	- a fairly steady, but low, stream of SNMP 'are you ok' type of
messages day in, day out.  In real world, this accounting might be done
at night, non-peak.  Most of it would be SNMP get messages so the
monitor controls the schedule.
	- 'I smell something' messages which are likely not to occur at all
until something bad happens (disregarding false alarms).  Then you get a
big spike.  

In the first case, the distribution might be uniform but there are some
good reasons why you might not want it to be ... and you can control
that.  In the second case, the distribution will be anything but uniform
-- you'd get an unheralded spike.  

On Thu, 2004-02-19 at 07:40, Z. Maria Wang wrote:
> Dear All,
>  
> Would anybody suggest a well-established or well-applied traffic model
> for wireless ad hoc sensor network? Someone used uniform distribution
> for each node. I personally do not incline to it. 
-- 
b

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet