Subject: [manet] DSR RREQ TTL VALUE

From: "susan rea" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:53:34 -0000

In DSR how is the TTL (hop limit) value of an RREQ packet set?

Regards,
Susan

-------------------Legal  Disclaimer---------------------------------------

The above electronic mail transmission is confidential and intended only for the person to whom it is addressed. Its contents may be protected by legal and/or professional privilege. Should it be received by you in error please contact the sender at the above quoted email address. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited. The Institute does not guarantee the security of any information electronically transmitted and is not liable if the information contained in this communication is not a proper and complete record of the message as transmitted by the sender nor for any delay in its receipt.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 11:09:31 +1100

Hi Susan,

The RREQ value is usually set at a constant (Max TTL) value.
During Route Discovery the source node sets a RREQ packet 
with a maximum TTL value. Each time the RREQ is rebroadcasted 
by the intermediate nodes this value is decremented. When the 
TTL reaches 0, the packet is discarded.

The maximum TTL value can also depend on the type of RREQ 
strategy used. For example, if Expanding Ring Search is used, 
then the maximum TTL value can be varied by the source node 
(incremented) each time the route discovery phase fails.

The Maximum TTL value set by the source node can also depend 
on wether the source node has any previous hop information 
about the destination node.
 
Mehran Abolhasan 
B.E Computer, PhD
Research Fellow -- Smart Internet Technology CRC  (SITCRC)
Telecommunications and IT Research Institute (TITR)
University of Wollongong, Northfields Ave, NSW 2522, Australia
Phone: +61 2 4221 5491
Fax: +61 2 4221 3277
www.titr.uow.edu.au/~mehran
Email 1: [email-masked]
Email 2: [email-masked]

Subject: [manet] DSR RREQ TTL VALUE
From: "susan rea" <[email-masked]>
To: "manet" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 08:53:34 -0000
List-Id: Mobile Ad-hoc Networks <manet.ietf.org>

Regards,
Susan