Subject: Re: [manet] JiST/SWANS GUI?

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 08:48:16 -0500 (EST)

Dear Kaarina,

> does anyone know if there is a graphical useer interface for
> JiST/SWANS? I've heard that there would be one available but haven't
> found the code.

The official release does not currently contain a graphical interface.
That said, at least two groups that we know of have built their own
(very nice) small GUIs, particular to their experiments. It is not
difficult. Within your simulation code you intersperse events that
update the GUI model. It's very similar to a logging statement, except
you send some kind of object which describes the change. The GUI view
simply looks at this model as it changes and updates the screen. And,
since you are working Java you have all of the portable Swing libraries
at your disposal. In general, it is difficult to create a
general-purpose GUI. They are often very task specific, so you would
have to build one to show the things you are a particularly interested
in, whether it be a view of the network operations or of aggregate
statistics over time that are particular to your protocol, etc.

> Has someone used JiST/SWANS simulation for simulating security of
> MANETs?

Security is not something that you typically prove or disprove through
simulation. If you are referring to the measurement of the overhead
imposed by or performance of various secure or fault tolerant protocols,
then this is no different from simulating any other network protocol
within SWANS.

Best regards,

Rimon Barr
Zygmunt Haas.
===--==-======
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Prof. Zygmunt J. Haas              http://people.ece.cornell.edu/haas 
Wireless Networks Laboratory       http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
School of Electrical Engineering         
Cornell University                 tel: +1-607-255-3454
323 Frank Rhodes Hall              fax: +1-607-255-9072
Ithaca, NY 14853                   e-mail: haas(at)ece(dot)cornell(dot)edu
U.S.A                             
	       WNL web page: http://wnl.ece.cornell.edu
~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:17:27 -0500 (EST)

> Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:10:44 +0100
> From: Grzegorz Jablonski <[email-masked]>
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [manet] JiST/SWANS GUI?
>
> I've used SWANS to simulate some location-aware algorithms. There's no
> GUI as far as I know, but you can write your own - it shouldn't be
> difficult if you have some java skills.

Agreed.

> Anyway, be careful, there's some bugs in SWANS's implementation of
> 802.11 MAC layer - it would deadlock for me sometimes under high
> network load. Apart from this, it's a great simulator and I can't wait
> until it gets better.

As is the case with the vast majority of 802.11 implementations, the
SWANS implementation is incomplete. 802.11 is a very complex protocol.
Currently, the broadcast function works just fine, and that's what we
use thus far in our research work. Unicasts (i.e. RTS/CTS and backoff)
have been partially implemented, but not sufficiently tested. We, too,
have noticed the "lock-up" problem under heavy load. The state machine
probably has a minor bug. The current implementation also, like ns2 and
GloMoSim (to the best of our knowledge), does not provide support for
the base station and associated client functionality defined in the
specification.

We will continue building components based on our research needs, and
are happy to release them to the community. And, we would be happy to
serve as an exchange point for contributions from others. Feel free to
send in patches or new components.

Rimon Barr and Zygmunt Haas.
===--=======