Subject: [manet] MAC protocol in WSN

From: Praveen Choudary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 07:32:36 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
 I am Praveen, final year undergraduate ( Computer Science & Engineering) from Indian School of Mines, India. I have one doubt related to MAC protocol in Sensor Networks.
 
I want the members to have a look at this publication
 
 " C. Lu, B. Blum, T. Abdelzaher, J. Stankovic, and T. He, "RAP: A Real-Time Communication Architecture for Large-Scale Wireless Sensor Networks", Proceedings of IEEE Real-Time and Embedded Technology and Applications Symposium (RTAS 2002), San Jose, CA, USA, September 2002".
 
In this publication, the point in my interest is " MAC protocol should provide distributed prioritization on packets from different nodes". Extensions of the IEEE 802.11 wireless LAN protocol have been investigated to provide distributed prioritization.
 
S-MAC is better than 802.11 for Wireless Sensor Networks. I want to know, can we suggest any modification for S-MAC (or any other sensor MAC), so that it can be used with the kind of routing protocol given in the reference. I hope this extension can be useful to other related routing protocols.
 
I am doing research on my own. I request the members of this group who are working in this area to give their comments. Kindly, let me know if I am thinking in the right direction.
 
Looking forward for your reply,
Sincerely,
Praveen.

---------------------------------
Do you Yahoo!?
 Check out the new Yahoo! Front Page. www.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Kaarina Karppinen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 10:52:46 +0200

Hi,

does anyone know if there is a graphical useer interface for JiST/SWANS?
I've heard that there would be one available but haven't found the code.

Has someone used JiST/SWANS simulation for simulating security of MANETs?

Brgds,

Kaarina
student of University of Oulu

---

From: "Grzegorz Jablonski" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 23:10:44 +0100

I've used SWANS to simulate some location-aware algorithms. There's no GUI 
as far as I know, but you can write your own - it shouldn't be difficult if 
you have some java skills.

Anyway, be careful, there's some bugs in SWANS's implementation of 802.11 
MAC layer - it would deadlock for me sometimes under high network load. 
Apart from this, it's a great simulator and I can't wait until it gets 
better.

Cheers
Greg