Subject: [manet] data link protocol for manet

From: Jerry Toung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 08:28:55 -0800

Good morning list,
we are looking at other L2 protocols to implement and test. Beside 802.11 that 
everybody use with RF, what else is available? open source or publication.
802.11 is complicated for what we're doing in that it specifies both PHY and 
MAC layer. MAC layer only is enough.

 What's the simplest alternative to 802.11?

thanks a lot.
Jerry

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Dave Maltz <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 13:56:44 -0500

--On Tuesday, November 23, 2004 8:28 AM -0800 Jerry Toung 
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> we are looking at other L2 protocols to implement and test.

CSMA/CA with ethernet framing is probably as simple as you can get (and it 
works pretty well!)

We built the first version of the Monarch testbed using the original 900 
MHz WaveLAN product from Lucent, which used pure CSMA/CA for floor control. 
Don't know if you can still find the hardware for sale in a store, but it's 
probably out there.

I had a student write a CSMA/CA MAC module for ns-2.  I don't recall which 
versions of the Monarch extensions it's in, or if it's been integrated into 
the mainline ns-2 distribution.

The very first DSR tests were run using IBM diffuse infrared cards.  I 
forget what the MAC was for those cards.

Cheers,
 -dam

---

From: Jerry Toung <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:52:05 -0800

Thank you Dave, good info. That's what I was looking for.
I will also look into getting that  csma/ca implementation for ns-2.
Jerry

---

From: Jim Thompson <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:25:11 -1000

something more ... scheduled would be nice as well.