Subject: [manet] MANETs in wireless behavior mod

From: "Alex Terrazas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 08:13:55 -0500

Hi--
 
I am a psychologist and neuroscientist who is using MANETs to measure
behavior and give reinforcement in the form of points.  The points can be
traded in for access to electronic media--computer games, TV, Internet, cell
phone minutes, etc.--think of it as behavioral pay-per-view.  Measurement of
behavior occurs through a network of automated (usually) sensors.  I can see
that my use of Bluetooth is rudimentary at present.  I would like to take
advantage of more sophisticated approaches.
 
In general, what I am doing can be called behavioral economics.  I call the
idea 'wireless walden' after the psychologist B.F. Skinner.  I intend to use
the technology to treat physical inactivity, over eating, attention deficit
disorder, and several other behavioral problems.  I have a small company (3
employees total).  I am applying for grants to test the many aspects of this
approach.
 
Here are some items I would like feedback on:
 
1) What would be a good journal or conference to describe the application?  
 
2) What are the potential strategies for organizing the MANETs for this
application.  I realize I have not given a great deal of info.  If anyone
would be willing to provide some direction, I could give you a phone call or
we can discuss this on the forum.  Most often the sensors are automated--I
have a prototype sensor that detects the stretch of your belly, for example.
I have a lot of accelerometer-based designs--like a leaf rake that gives
points.  I have Hall effect sensors.  The application domain is pretty much
endless--unless everyone starts behaving themselves!  
 
3) Anybody know of grant opportunities in this area?  I have been going
after NIH so far but wouldn't mind expanding.
 
It has been interesting following some of the discussions on this forum.  
 
Thanks--
 
Alex
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet