Subject: [manet] Summer School on Wireless Sensor Networks and Smart Objects

From: Jan Beutel <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 14:37:13 +0200

Summer School on Wireless Sensor Networks and Smart Objects
      ===========================================================

           Aug 29 - Sept 3, 2005, Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany

                  www.vs.inf.ethz.ch/events/dag2005/

                                 + + +

Wireless sensor networks and smart objects are two instances of
networked embedded sensing systems, which can perceive and control
many aspects of the real world, and which may interact with humans.
These technologies are currently receiving significant attention by
researchers, potential users, and by people interested in the
implications of the induced paradigm shift in the way we use
computers. The goal of this summer school is to

  - survey the most relevant subfields
  - present perspectives and underlying technologies
  - identify pertinent issues and important research themes
  - establish contacts among people working in the field

The intended audience are post-graduate students, PhD students, and
young researchers from universities and industrial laboratories
around the world. We expect about 60 participants.

PROGRAM

  - Lectures: Usually, each day will feature lectures and discussions
    around a broad theme. Three to four lectures will be presented per
    day (morning and late afternoon). Lecturers include Jan Beutel,
    Holger Karl, Koen Langendoen, Marc Langheinrich, Pedro J. Marron,
    Friedemann Mattern, Kay Roemer, and Albrecht Schmidt.

  - TinyOS Hands-On Tutorial: Participants can learn to program sensor
    nodes using TinyOS. This tutorial will be given by Joe Polastre and
    Rob Szewczyk, two experienced TinyOS developers and trainers.

  - Participants Workshop: Some time will be reserved for a workshop
    where participants can present their own work and involvement in
    the field.

  - Application Competition: Participants can submit their ideas about
    application scenarios involving sensor networks and smart objects.
    Marcelo Pias will take care of the competition.

  - Excursion: One day is scheduled for an excursion and other social
    activities which should help to form a community among the young
    researchers.

VENUE

The summer school will take place in the relaxed and inspiring
atmosphere of Schloss Dagstuhl (Dagstuhl manor house), Germany, close
to the border of Luxembourg and France. Schloss Dagstuhl was built in
1760 and is used for seminars and conferences since 1990. Besides
providing accommodation, a comprehensive computer science research
library, and computer facilities, it offers a unique setting for
inspiring discussions, informal exchange of ideas, and socializing.
The rural surroundings provide good opportunities for relaxed walks.

REGISTRATION

Participation is open to all qualified applicants, but the number of
participants is limited to a maximum of 60. If we receive more
applications, we will select participants based on their work area
and background, geographic distribution, and date of registration.

The registration fee of EUR 650 includes accommodation at Schloss
Dagstuhl and all meals. We can support about 15 European students
with grants of EUR 400 each.

Online application is available at www.vs.inf.ethz.ch/events/dag2005.

IMPORTANTS DATES

Application deadline:        June 9, 2005
Notification of admittance:  June 24, 2005

ORGANIZATION

The summer school is jointly organized by ETH Zurich and the
International Conference and Research Center for Computer Science at
Schloss Dagstuhl on behalf of the European consortium Embedded
WiSeNts, which also provides funding.

Friedemann Mattern and Kay Roemer

Department of Computer Science
Institute for Pervasive Computing
ETH Zurich, Switzerland

-- 
Jan Beutel                                 [email-masked]
Computer Engineering and Networks Laboratory, ETZ G75
ETH Zurich                              +41 1 632 70 32 Phone
Gloriastrasse 35                          +41 1 632 10 35 Fax
CH 8092 Zurich/Switzerland  http://www.tik.ee.ethz.ch/~beutel

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet