Subject: RE: [manet] AODV RREP

From: "Mullen, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 10:00:09 -0600

Hi Sebastien,

You make an excellent point.  The suitability of a link depends on at least three things: 1) received signal strength, 2) ambient RF noise and interference at the receiver, and 3) current traffic load on the link.  We tend to focus on 1), which is a funcion of location, but 2) can vary greatly, depending on local traffic intensity and 3) would naturally be higher on a link already in use.

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] on behalf of [email-masked]
Sent: Sat 5/21/2005 12:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] AODV RREP
 
In AODV, during a route discovery process, if an intermediary node already have
a route to the destination that is fresh enough, it can send back an RREP.
The advantage of this function is it decrease the response time in large
networks. however, I think this behavior has several drawbacks. First it allows
blackhole attacks and second it had a global effect of "gathering" all the
communication on a few routes. These routes become some good targets for
anybody listening to the traffic. I think a routing protocol should have a
opposite behavior i.e. distribute the routes on the paths and thus reduce the
risk of bottlenecks and reduce the damage and overhead due to link error.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet