Subject: [manet] Theoretical throughput limits in ad-hoc

From: Filipe Abrantes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 20:18:49 +0100

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could point me out some references for papers 
that explain the performance (basically i'm interested in throughput) 
limits of 802.11-based ad-hoc networks.

Best Regards

Filipe

-- 
Filipe Lameiro Abrantes
INESC Porto
Campus da FEUP
Rua Dr. Roberto Frias, 378
4200-465 Porto
Portugal

Phone: +351 22 209 4266
E-mail: [email-masked]

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Stefan Schlott <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 08:05:09 +0200

> limits of 802.11-based ad-hoc networks.

I remember a paper presented on the Mobicom 2001 conference (which
caused some hefty comments afterwards since the results were not the
kind of thing Ad-Hoc fans wanted to hear)... I think it was
  http://citeseer.ist.psu.edu/li01capacity.html
  http://pdos.csail.mit.edu/papers/grid:mobicom01/paper.pdf

Stefan.

---

From: Philippe Jacquet <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 11:39:21 +0200

Filipe Abrantes wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering if someone could point me out some references for 
> papers that explain the performance (basically i'm interested in 
> throughput) limits of 802.11-based ad-hoc networks.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Filipe
>
The most known result for the general case is Gupta and Kumar results 
http://decision.csl.uiuc.edu/~prkumar/html_files/postscript_files.html 
that states an upper bound of order O(sqrt(n)) for the total capacity of 
a MANET uniformly loaded (net payload, excluding retransmissions due to 
routing).  In passing the factor in front of sqrt(n) is still an open 
issue.

For non uniformly loaded networks see my paper in mobihoc 
http://www.sigmobile.org/mobihoc/2004/presentations/p157-jacquet.pdf

For IEEE 802.11, Gupta, Kumar and Gray conjecture via empirical measure 
an upperbound in O(n^(-0.68)) which is considerably worse and 
disappointing for MANET applications. They think it is due to the 
inadaptability of the defer threshold parameter in 802.11. 
http://black.csl.uiuc.edu/~prkumar/ps_files/exp.pdf . 

An analytical attempt of explanation in (with a change in scaling to 
n^(-0.08)?)
http://black.csl.uiuc.edu/~prkumar/ps_files/04_01_13_perf_anal_802.pdf

Best regards,

Philippe

Best regards,
Philippe