Subject: [manet] throughput calculation .... pls help out

From: naga swetha <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 14:59:07 +0100 (BST)

hello everyone,

hi this is swetha.. i am working with aodv and dsdv
protocols.. i ran the simulations for aodv and dsdv
protocols by varying the speed but in actual sense the
throughput should reduc with the speed. as i see in my
simulation result it is increasing by noticable amount
(around 1%).i have calculated the throughput by the
following equation

throughput = recieved tcp packets at the agent level
             /  
             sent tcp packets at the agent level

but if we try to do using mbps calculation  what will
be the time period that you are taking at the
denominator..that is 

throughput= (total numof packets sent in agnt
level)*packet size/(what is the time interval to be
taken here????/)

it can't be the simulation time....kno!!!
 
 another observation that i made was that as we
increase the speed the number of packets sent at the
agent level is increasing... how can this be
possible...?
please help me out with this issue....

thanks a lot for any help you render me...
thanks again..
bye swetha

________________________________________________________________________
Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online
Go to: http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Mullen, John" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 17:05:53 -0600

Hi Swetha,

If you are using a typical simulation, there is a warm up period during
which the network is established and there are no attempts to transmit
tcp packets.  You would probably want to exclude this period from your
time base.

It is difficult to say why your throughput increased with speed, but
since your nodes are in motion, their configuration is changing and it
is possible that the higher speed is leading to a better topology.  To
check this, you can run the two simulations so that they cover the same
configuration combinations.  That is, if the speed is doubled in the
second run, run the first one for twice as long.  

It is also possible that the differences are solely due to random
differences between the two runs, unless you are specifically matching
the traffic on the two runs.

Hope this helps,

John Mullen

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of naga swetha
Sent: Thursday, May 12, 2005 7:59 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] throughput calculation .... pls help out

hello everyone,

hi this is swetha.. i am working with aodv and dsdv protocols.. i ran
the simulations for aodv and dsdv protocols by varying the speed but in
actual sense the throughput should reduc with the speed. as i see in my
simulation result it is increasing by noticable amount (around 1%).i
have calculated the throughput by the following equation

but if we try to do using mbps calculation  what will be the time period
that you are taking at the denominator..that is 

throughput= (total numof packets sent in agnt level)*packet size/(what
is the time interval to be taken here????/)

 another observation that i made was that as we increase the speed the
number of packets sent at the agent level is increasing... how can this
be possible...?
please help me out with this issue....

________________________________________________________________________
Yahoo! India Matrimony: Find your life partner online Go to:
http://yahoo.shaadi.com/india-matrimony