Subject: [manet] CFP: escar 05 - Embedded Security in Cars

From: Imad Aad <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:36:35 +0200 (CEST)

Our apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message.

                Call for Papers
    escar 05 - Embedded Security in Cars
             www.escarworkshop.org
             November  29-30, 2005
                Cologne, Germany

General Information

Information technology is the driving force behind innovations in
the automotive industry, with perhaps 90% of all innovations in cars
based on electronics and software. Up to 80 embedded processors can
be found in a high-end car, and electronics & software will soon
also be the major single cost factor in car manufacturing. The
situation is similar for commercial vehicles such as trucks.

One crucial aspect of future IT applications in vehicles is the
security of these systems. Whereas software safety is a relatively
well established (if not necessarily well understood) field, the
protection of automotive IT systems against manipulation has only
very recently started to emerge. Likewise, the protection of the
communications between vehicles and between vehicles and
infrastructure has hardly been addressed by the research community;
yet, this problem must be properly solved prior to any commercial
deployment. At the same time, security will be an enabling
technology for many - perhaps for most - future
automotive IT applications. IT security will both increase
reliability & safety, and enable new business models.

escar, now in its 3rd year, has established itself as the premier
forum in this innovative area. escar provides information,
discussion and the exchange of ideas. As in previous years, there
will be invited talks together with submitted papers. The areas of
interest include but are not limited to:

*   IT security for driver assistance, telematics, and new business models
*   IT security for other transport systems (rail, aerospace, etc.)
*   Inter-Vehicle Communication (IVC) and car ad-hoc networks
*   Infotainment and IT security (DRM, trusted computing, etc.)
*   Secure software downloads
*   Security issues for event data recorders (EDR) and tachographs
*   Embedded device security and cryptography
*   Car theft prevention through electronic means
*   Security issues in road pricing
*   Privacy and data protection issues

Theoretical/scientific articles, case studies and real world
experiences are welcome. For further information and a mailing list
subscription, please visit www.escarworkshop.org

Note: For the first time there will be proceedings at escar 05.
The workshop will entirely be in English.

Submission

Authors are asked to submit an extended abstract of up to 10 pages
in English. The extended abstract should clearly demonstrate the
value of the contribution for the community. It should be kept in
mind that escar is not a place for marketing products or services.
All submissions will be reviewed. Submissions should be sent as
PDF (or postscript) documents to [email-masked]

Important Dates

Submission deadline:      August 21, 2005 (24:00h CET)
Acceptance notification:  September 16, 2005
Final paper due:          September 30, 2005

Program Committee

Jean-Pierre Hubaux (Program Chair), Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale dLausanne
Christof Paar (Program Chair), Ruhr University Bochum

Amer Aijaz, Volkswagen
Ross Anderson,University of Cambridge
Manfred Broy, Technical University of Munich
Reinhold Eberhardt  DaimlerChrysler
Willi Mannheims, escrypt GmbH
Hans-Jörg Vögel, B

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet