Subject: [manet] channel utilization

From: naoki nakamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:15:39 +0900

Hi All

I want to calculate channel utilzation in Mac Layer over adhoc networks.
I think this is complicated.

Any ideas how to calcuate, or papers/aritcles/referece about "how to
handle channel utilization"? I need it urgently.

Thanks in advance.
Naoki.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:46:43 +0200 (CEST)

Hi ;==)

It is very difficult to estimate the channel utilization ratio given as
the fraction of time within which a node is sensing the channel as being
utilized. The idle time is not given by wireless card driver without
modification. Other approachs try to determine the idle time using
transmission probabilities.

We have used the channel utilization ratio to estimate the available
bandwidth. Many papers have used the same approach. You can find more
information about the channel utilization in:

Hakim Badis, Anelise Munaretto, Khaldoun Al Agha and Guy pujolle, "QoS for
ad hoc networking based on multiple-metric: Bandwidth and delay", in IFIP
MWCN'03: International Workshop On Mobile and Wireless Communications
Networks, (Singapore), October 2003.

G. Ferrari and O. K. Tonguz, "Optimal Channel Utilization Ratio in Ad Hoc
Wireless Networks," in Proc. IEEE Wireless Communications & Networking
Conference (WCNC'05), New Orleans, LA, USA, April 2005.

"Adaptive Bandwidth Management and QoS Provisioning in Large Scale Ad Hoc
Networks", Kaixin Xu, Ken Tang, Rajive Bagrodia, Scalable Network
Technologies, Inc., Mario Gerla, Michael Bereschinsky CECOM RDEC STCD.
MILCOM '03.

Best regards.

Hakim.

---

From: "John Stine" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 07:15:09 -0400

IN ad hoc networks channel utilization has both a time and space dimension.
You can see how we handled utilization in

J. Stine, G. de Veciana, K. Grace, and R. Durst, "Orchestrating spatial
reuse in wireless ad hoc networks using Synchronous Collision Resolution,"
J. of Interconnection Networks, Vol. 3 No. 3 & 4, September and December
2002, pp. 167 - 195. 

Since at any instant multiple nodes can be transmitting packets, the issue
is what is the density of source destination pairs that can exchange packets
simultaneously.  This is all affected by the density of nodes and the
traffic load.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
naoki nakamura
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 1:16 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [manet] channel utilization

Hi All

Thanks in advance.
Naoki.

---

From: naoki nakamura <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 14:27:45 +0900

Hi Mihai, Hongqiang, Chakeres, Hakim

Now I am reading  your papers and comments. I have not read every
paper yet, but  your comment is really helpful for me.

I am using NS2 now. In the simulation, I want to evaluate our proposed
Mac Protocol in terms of channel utilization. So I will not use
channel utilization for admission control and supporting QoS.

I keep  thinking how to calculate it. Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Naoki