Subject: [manet] QoS in mobile ad hoc networks

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:19:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all;

QoS support for mobile ad hoc networks remains an open problem, drawing
interest from both academia and industry under military and commercial
sponsorship. MANETs have certain unique characteristics that pose several
difficulties in provisioning QoS, such as dynamically varying network
topology, lack of precise state information, lack of central control,
error-prone shared radio channels, limited resource availability, hidden
terminal problems, and insecure media, and little consensus yet exists on
which approaches may be optimal. Future MANETs are likely to be
“multimode” or heterogeneous in nature. Thus, the routers comprising a
MANET will employ multiple, physical-layer wireless technologies, with
each new technology requiring a multiple-access (MAC) protocol for
supporting QoS. Above the MAC layer, forwarding, routing, signaling, and
admission control policies are required, and the best combination of these
policies will change as the underlying hardware technology evolves.

The Sixty-third IETF meeting will be held 31 July - 5 August 2005. With
this occasion, I propose to MANET participants from academia and
especially industry having already quite advanced work, real
implementations of QoS Models, Signaling Protocols and QoS Routing for
MANETs to meet and discuss their work progress. Please let me know if you
are interested to participate in this discussion group during this IETF
meeting.

Hakim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hakim Badis
LRI & INRIA LAboratories, France
Phone: +33 (1) 69 15 65 91
Fax: +33 (1) 69 15 65 86
http://www.lri.fr/~badis/
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet