Subject: [manet] CFP (last call): CCNC2006 Distributed Multimedia Streaming

From: "Duc A. Tran" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 19:21:20 -0400

Apologies if you already received this message
=====================================
CALL FOR PAPERS 
2006 IEEE Consumer Communications and Networking Conference (CCNC 2006)
January 7-10, 2006 - Las Vegas, USA 
Special Session on Distributed Multimedia Streaming
 Important Dates

Paper submission deadline (extended): September 5, 2005 
Notification of acceptance: September 30, 2005 
Camera-ready version due: October 14, 2005 
 Special Session Co-Chairs
 
Thinh Nguyen, Oregon State University (thinhq at
eecs.orst.edu<http://eecs.orst.edu>
)
Duc A. Tran, University of Dayton (duc.tran at
notes.udayton.edu<http://notes.udayton.edu>
)
Pascal Frossard, EPFL (pascal.frossard at epfl.ch)
Multimedia streaming is one of the most popular services on the
current Internet.Its already-high demand is even on the rise as the Internet 

users have startedto be familiar with peer-to-peer (P2P) technologies which 
enable them to share
contents between one another directly. Streaming in the P2P manner, in 
contrast
to the traditional client/server approach, takes advantage of existing
end-system computational and networking resources, thus allowing economical
clients to leverage their collective power to benefit the entire service
community. However, multimedia content is resource demanding while user
computing devices are not as powerful as are content servers. Consequently,
designing a good decentralized streaming scheme in a large-scale 
peer-to-peer
environment is challenging. The problem becomes more of a challenge due to 
the
ad hoc behavior of peers; they can leave and join the system freely at any
time.

As people tend to work beyond their office desk, it is also expected that 
the
next generation of communication networks includes rapid deployments of
independent mobile users. With the emergence of wireless technologies such 
as
IEEE 802.11 and Bluetooth, mobile users are enabled to connect to each other
directly without any networking infrastructure such as the Internet and
infrastructure-based wireless LANs. In other words, the users form a mobile 
ad
hoc network (MANET). As multimedia streaming becomes an integrated part of 
an
increasing number of applications and wireless networks are emerging to
dominate the communication environment of the future, it is interesting and
worthwhile to investigate multimedia streaming solutions for MANETs. There 
are
many open issues regarding this investigation due to the deviation between 
the
resource, energy, and bandwidth availability of ad hoc networks and the 
quality
of service desired by multimedia streaming users.

This special session seeks original contributions of high-quality papers 
that
address novel systems challenges towards the success of multimedia streaming
deployment in peer-to-peer, content distribution, and wireless ad hoc 
networks. 
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

* Signal processing/compression/information theories to support ad hoc
multimedia streaming
* Modeling, measurement, and performance study on ad hoc multimedia 
streaming
* Internet P2P multimedia streaming
* P2P multimedia content distribution networks
* Ad hoc overlay solutions for multimedia streaming
* Live streaming, video on demand, and video conferencing in wireless
ad hoc networks
* Network and transport protocols for streaming in wireless ad hoc networks
* Management, QoS, and security aspects in streaming over wireless ad
hoc networks
* Streaming applications in sensor networks
* Implementations of multimedia streaming in ad hoc networks

Information for Authors

Prospective authors are invited to submit their draft papers in PS or PDF
format to one of the co-chairs via electronic mail. Submitted papers must be
original, unpublished work, and not currently under review for any other
conference or journal. The first page of the paper should include the 
authors'
names, affiliations, fax/telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses. The first
page should also include a less-than-200-word abstract. The camera-ready
version for an accepted paper will be no more than 6 pages in IEEE
double-column standard format.

Contributions will be reviewed by at least three referees from both the 
program
committee and external reviewers for originality, significance, clarity,
soundness, relevance, and technical contents on basis of papers.
_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet