Subject: [manet] [ns] [Release Announcement] Partitioning Framework - Evaluation of Partition-Aware MANET Protocols with ns-2 (Ruediger Dietrich)

From: "Ruediger Dietrich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 17:06:16 +0200

Dear ns-2 users,

I want to introduce you a framework that we recently developed to
simplify the evaluation of partition aware MANET protocols and
applications with ns-2. For further information please visit the
following homepage, where you can also download the framework (code,
user-manual, example ...) and the corresponding spects05 paper:

http://canu.informatik.uni-stuttgart.de/calcpartition

The framework is easy to install and intensively tested for common ns-2
versions (ns-2.1b9a, ns-2.26, ns-2.27, ns-2.28) under both OS Linux and
Solaris.

ABSTRACT

Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (MANET) are composed of mobile devices equipped
with short range radio capabilities. Communication is possible between
devices located in each other's transmission range. Especially in sparse
MANETs, node mobility leads to frequent network partitioning, which
makes typical networking tasks much more difficult. Although we observe
an increasing need for partitioning information, the widely used network
simulator ns-2 does not support protocol developers to easily evaluate
their protocols concerning network partitioning.

To simplify the evaluation of MANET partition-aware protocols and
applications in ns-2, we extend the simulator to provide partitioning
information at the simulation time. Developers might be interested in
using this information to evaluate their partition-aware protocols and
applications and to compare their performance to the optimal case.
Hypergossiping is a partition-aware broadcast protocol for MANETs. Nodes
rebroadcast messages upon joining the partitions that have not yet
received these messages. Hypergossiping uses a heuristic to detect
partition joins. We show the feasibility of our approach and the
applicability of the partitioning information we provide for ns-2 users
to compare the performance of our approach to the optimal case.

We will be very pleasured if you can benefit from the framework. We will
be also very thankful for every kind of feedback.

Best regards,

---  

R. Dietrich [[email-masked]] 
A. Khelil   [[email-masked]]

University of Stuttgart - IPVS - VS    

Universitaetsstr. 38
D-70569 Stuttgart   
      
Phone: +49-711-7816251 
Fax: +49-711-7816424

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet