Subject: [manet] CFP: e-Science 2005 Workshop on Instruments and Sensors on the Grid

From: Kenneth Chiu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 15:33:26 -0500 (EST)

CALL FOR PAPERS

International Workshop on Scientific Instruments and Sensors on the Grid

                http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~kchiu/isog05/

                          Melbourne, Australia
                            December 5, 2005

                          In conjunction with
                             eScience 2005
                    http://www.gridbus.org/escience/

Grid research has focused on the marshaling of computation and data, and
their interactions at hubs of analysis and synthesis.  This focus has
spawned the notion of computational and data Grids, respectively.  As
the technology for these has matured, however, increasing attention is
being directed towards the actual sources of data: the instruments and
sensors.

Scientific instruments and sensors provide the raw observations used to
develop, falsify, and verify scientific theories; and thus drive
scientific progress.  The scientific process begins not with the data,
however, but rather with the preceding data collection.  This collection
is not a rote procedure, and often interacts profoundly with
interpretation and analysis, whether by human or machine.  Ignoring this
interaction can lead to inefficient use of computational and human
resources.

Another important trend is the increasing use of in silico experiments,
and the integration of model-based simulation with physical sensors.
These projects further couple the collection of data with analysis and
simulation.  In these scenarios, a unified paradigm for Grid-enabling
both physical instruments and virtual instruments will result in
flexible, extensible systems for exploiting the tremendous potential of
information technology.

The above considerations suggest that we seek to push the Grid to the
edges of the practice of science: to the point where data is collected,
and to the point where the scientist uses the data; and thus create an
end-to-end Grid environment for scientific activity.  Many instruments
and sensors are already digitally-accessible, but they are poorly
integrated into the Grid.

Instruments and sensors are qualitatively distinct from computation and
data, however, and thus impose some unique challenges and issues to
current Grid technologies.  For example, operational models may range
from remotely-accessing a one-stop, full-service instrument site to
dynamically composing distributed instrument, data, and analysis
services into a virtual instrument organization.

This workshop will seek to address these issues and challenges, as they
encompass both real and virtual instruments and sensors.  We are
soliciting papers on topics including, but not limited to, the
following:

    - Integration of instruments and sensors into the Grid

    - Interoperability and compatibility of Grid-enabled instrumentation
      and applications

    - Representation and/or control of instruments and sensors using
      Grid and Web services

    - Remote access to instrumentation and sensors

    - Virtual organization and security issues of instruments and
      sensors on the Grid

    - Data management, provenance, and curation of Grid-enabled
      instruments and sensors

    - Real-time instrument and sensor systems

    - Control and safety issues of instruments and sensors

    - Data transport issues

    - Social, administrative, and financial issues of Grid-enabled
      instruments and sensors

    - Agent-based computing for instrument and sensor networks

    - Autonomic computing as applied to instruments and sensors

Paper Submission
----------------

Authors are invited to submit papers of not more than 8 pages of
double-column text using single-spaced 10 point font on 8.5 X 11 inch
pages, as per IEEE 8.5 X 11 manuscript guidelines, which can be found at
"http://www.computer.org/cspress/instruct.htm".

Authors should submit a PDF or PostScript (Level 2) file that will print
on a PostScript printer.  A paper submission URL will be placed on the
web page (http://www.cs.binghamton.edu/~kchiu/isog05/) when it becomes
available.  It is expected that the proceedings will be published by the
IEEE CS Press, USA and will be made available online through the IEEE
Digital Library.

Important Dates
---------------

August 25, 2005: Abstracts due
September 1, 2005: Papers due
September 15, 2005: Notification of acceptance

General Co-Chairs
-----------------

Kenneth Chiu, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton
Jeremey Frey, University of Southampton

Organizing Committee
--------------------

David Abramson, Monash University
Simon Coles, University of Southampton
Tony Fountain, San Diego Supercomputer Center, UC-San Diego
Michael Hursthouse, University of Southampton
Fang-Pang Lin, National Center for High-Performance Computing, Taiwan
Donald F. (Rick) McMullen, Indiana University
Peter Turner, University of Sydney

Program Committee
-----------------

The program committee is still being finalized, but
currently includes:

Nael Abu-Ghazaleh, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton
Ilkay Altintas, San Diego Supercomputer Center, UC-San Diego
Jack Dongarra, University of Tennesse-Knoxville
Dennis Gannon, Indiana University
Russ Miller, State University of New York (SUNY) at Buffalo
David de Roure, University of Southampton
Chen-Khong Tham, National University of Singapore
Sameer Tilak, State University of New York (SUNY) at Binghamton
Rich Wolski, UC-Santa Barbara

Contacts
--------

Kenneth Chiu ([email-masked])
Simon Coles ([email-masked])
Peter Turner ([email-masked])

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet