Subject: [manet] DYMO-04-pre Issues Discussed During IETF 64

From: Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:43:32 -0800

1. RERR generation - Add a flag to routing table entries to denote  
that the routing information was used. This flag will help avoid  
having intermediate nodes forward RERR messages, unless they have  
used the route that is using the broken link.

2. 16-bit sequence numbers - Reduced overhead.

3. Remove UERR functionality - We were unable to determine a use case  
where being informed via UERR would benefit the source.  Also, due to  
the likelihood that several nodes will respond to these message  
types, the source could easily become overwhelmed.

If you feel that any of these changes should not be made for DYMO-04  
please respond to this email.

Ian Chakeres

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Koojana Kuladinithi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 13:29:07 +0100

Hi Ian

Regarding the use sequence number as 16 bit,

How do you handle the seq number rollover ? Is it as in the DYMO 03?

Does it make sense to handle the sequence number rollover as in Mobile
IP, rfc 3344? 

Handling of Seq Numbers,

2.3.2. Sequence Numbers and Rollover Handling

   The sequence number in Agent Advertisements ranges from 0 to 0xffff.
   After booting, an agent MUST use the number 0 for its first
   advertisement.  Each subsequent advertisement MUST use the sequence
   number one greater, with the exception that the sequence number
   0xffff MUST be followed by sequence number 256.  In this way, mobile
   nodes can distinguish a reduction in the sequence number that occurs
   after a reboot from a reduction that results in rollover of the
   sequence number after it attains the value 0xffff.

Validation of the Seq Number

2.4.4. Sequence Numbers and Rollover Handling

   If a mobile node detects two successive values of the sequence number
   in the Agent Advertisements from the foreign agent with which it is
   registered, the second of which is less than the first and inside the
   range 0 to 255, the mobile node SHOULD register again.  If the second
   value is less than the first but is greater than or equal to 256, the
   mobile node SHOULD assume that the sequence number has rolled over
   past its maximum value (0xffff), and that reregistration is not
   necessary (Section 2.3).

Kind regards

Koojana

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
>On Behalf Of Ian Chakeres
>Sent: Saturday, November 12, 2005 5:44 AM
>To: manet
>Subject: [manet] DYMO-04-pre Issues Discussed During IETF 64
>
>