Subject: [manet] one question regarding underwater sensor research

From: Chris Yao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 13:36:54 -0800 (PST)

hi,
   
  I am interested in the following two questions:
   
  1. what are the good websites/papers/projects about underwater sensor networks?
   
  2. are there any wireless sensors that can sense water pressure?
   
  I appreciate your information.
   
  Best Rehards,
   
  Chris

---------------------------------
 Yahoo! FareChase - Search multiple travel sites in one click.  

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:42:35 -0800

For underwater networks, see the Neptune project (try
http://www.neptune.washington.edu/ ).  It's a joint project between
UWash and Woods Hole to build an ocean-bottom network off Wash/Ore/BC
coast for oceano research with long staytimes.

There are at least two spinoffs of Neptune.  One is MARS which is
building at Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute at Moss Landing.
This serves as a proof of technology for Neptune in addition to having
yield in its own right; only one node.  The second spinoff that I've
heard of is sponsored by UBC and is to be deployed in San Juan Islands
and they named it after a planet too ... Venus?  Don't know as much
about that one.

I'm not sure what you're question is after when you mention wireless and
underwater in the same sentence.  Only low frequency radio waves have
any significant penetrability in water (LF as in Loran, VLF and ELF as
in submarine communications).  And those systems are all one-way (shore
to ship).  Most underwater unwired networks (the ones above all feature
gigabit ethernet over fiber optic cables) rely on acoustic
communications which has it's own set of difficulties.

On Wed, 2005-11-23 at 13:36 -0800, Chris Yao wrote:
> ______________________________________________________________________