Subject: [manet] IETF 65 MANET WG Minutes

From: Ian Chakeres <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:01:42 -0700

===SUMMARY===

All the MANET Internet drafts (DYMO, OLSRv2, and SMF) were updated
since Vancouver. They are moving along nicely. The biggest news is
continued convergence. We now have a common MANET packet/message
format (packetbb). DYMO, OLSRv2, and SMF have been modified to use the
packetbb format. We have also agreed to carve out (from OLSRv2) a
common MANET neighborhood discovery protocol (still unnamed).

===AGENDA===

IETF 65 MANET WG Agenda
MANET Session 1 (2 hours)
Tuesday, Afternoon Session I 1300-1500
Room Name: Cortez CD
Dallas, TX

Agenda Bashing 5 min Chakeres
      -blue sheets & state your name at the microphone

WG Progress 15 min Macker

Generalized Packet and Message Format Discussion
20 min Clausen
    -draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-00.txt

DYMO Plans/Discussion
15 min Chakeres
    -draft-ietf-manet-dymo-04.txt

OLSR v2 Plans/Discussion
20 min Clausen
    -draft-ietf-manet-olsrv2-01.txt

SMF Plans/Discussion
20 min Adamson
    -draft-ietf-manet-smf-02.txt

OSPF-MANET Update 15 min Henderson

Open Discussion, Related Work & Announcements

+OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION

You can find the agenda and presentation materials at
http://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=65

IPR reminder - RFC 3979
https://datatracker.ietf.org/public/ipr_disclosure.cgi
If you know about IPR relevant to the technology and you are
contributing, you have to speak up

Audiocast
http://videolab.uoregon.edu/events/ietf/

Jabber The new jabber server is located at jabber.ietf.org and is
currently accessible.  For those who are interested, please visit the
above location to join any of the available chat rooms.

Please note:

All traffic within the defined rooms (except "noc") is being logged
and updated every 5 minutes to the ietf.org website.

To view the log directories, point your browser to
http://www.ietf.org/meetings/ietf-logs/.

If you click on a room directory, you will see one or more files named
"YYYY-MM-DD.html", e.g. 2006-03-14.html.  If you click on one of those
files, you will see all logged traffic for that day.

Please visit the IETF Text Conferencing Web page
(http://www.ietf.org/meetings/text_conf.html) for more information.

===MINUTES===

Ian Chakeres (IC) - Agenda Presentation

Joe Macker (JM) - WG Update Presentation

All the chartered WG items received an update to their documents.

A new WG draft was created that describes a common MANET
packet/message format (draft-ietf-manet-packetbb-00.txt),
packetbb. The existing drafts DYMO, OLSRv2, and SMF are making use of
this building block.

JM also brought IANA issues related to the documents. We will need to
work in the coming months to discuss and decide upon the IANA needs of
the MANET WG protocols.

There was discussion about packetbb and its BNF style
notation. Certain members express approval while others expressed
disapproval. If you have an opinion please express it on the mailing
list.

Ian Chakeres (IC) - DYMO Presentation

DYMO was updated to utilize the common format, packetbb. This was the
most significant change. Implementations are being updated now and
should be available soon.

There was some discussion about the removal of the "ignored" bit in
DYMOv04. If you have a use case or opinion about the ignored-bit
please post to the mailing list to initiate discussion.

Thomas Clausen (TC) - OLSRv2 Presentation

OLSRv2 was updated to utilize the common format, packetbb. There were
some other minor modifications; clean separation of forwarding &
processing and handling multiple interfaces.

Joe Macker (JM) - SMF Presentation

SMF was updated to utilize the common format, packetbb. The new
revision also included more details on determining the reduced relay
set for efficient wireless multicast delivery. Additional discussion
regarding ingress/egress issues was also included. Several issues
regarding ingress/egress still remain.

During and afterward the idea of pulling out neighborhood discovery
was discussed. This idea has been bounced around the WG for some quite
some time. Given the convergence with PacketBB, the neighborhood
discovery protocol will also likely become a building block for use
within OLSRv2, SMF, and perhaps DYMO.

Tom Henderson (TH) - OSPF-MANET Presentation

Additional simulations were performed and a new tech report is
available discussing the OSPF-MANET proposals. See TH's presentation
for URL.

There has been some recent consensus between several active OSPF-MANET
DT members. The OSPF WG is rechartering and plans to include
OSPF-MANET related deliverables.

Open Microphone

Pedro Ruiz (PR) - There has been discussion of forming an IRTF group
for MANET related research. A charter is being developed. It and other
instructions for participating will be posted to the MANET mailing
list.

You can find the agenda and presentation materials at
http://datatracker.ietf.org/public/meeting_materials.cgi?meeting_num=65

Thanks.
Luke Klein-Berndt <Minute Taker>
Justin Dean <Jabber Scribe>

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet