Subject: [manet] First International Workshop on "Wireless mesh: moving towards applications" (WiMeshNets 2006)

From: Nicola Scalabrino <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:15:28 +0200

CALL FOR PAPERS

WiMeshNets 2006 (http://wimeshnets.org)

First International Workshop on "Wireless mesh: moving towards applications"
(Co-located with QShine 2006, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) August 10, 2006

Recent advances in wireless mesh networks (WMNs) provide promising
opportunities in communication paradigms. WMNs do not depend on wired
communication infrastructure and their mesh connectivity provides
inherent built-in redundancy. This makes them also good candidates for
providing an alternative communication mechanism in the face of
disasters when normal communication infrastructure is destroyed. WMNs
build upon multi-hop forwarding of data packets from access nodes
towards gateways to the fixed network and thus share many properties of
Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. So far almost all existing research effort
related to Mobile Ad Hoc networks has been based mostly on the
assumptions that the nodes are highly mobile and are mainly battery
operated. Thus, most of the protocols and mechanisms try to conserve
energy and cope with frequent topology changes. In WMNs these
assumptions can be relaxed which enables the design of new protocols and
services for WMNs.
Supporting any application over wireless mesh networks is however a
challenging task due to the multi-hop forwarding of packets which also
limits the scalability of WMNs. Nevertheless, WMNs have promising
commercial potential as they are supposed to provide cheap wireless
network coverage and access. Towards this aim the traditional approaches
to routing and to service provisioning should be reconsidered taking
into account the intrinsic characteristics of WMNs and those of new and
emerging applications. This could pave the way to the assessment of this
technology which is expected to conquer new markets in the next few
years by taking advantage of the growth of heterogeneous networks.
Authors are invited to submit original full papers not currently under
review by other conferences on any aspect of “Wireless mesh: moving
towards applications”. Contributions describing theoretical research,
protocol design, experiments and measurements, commercial deployments,
business models, or position/vision statements are all encouraged.
Descriptions of work in progress, test trials, and future work plans are
highly appreciated. Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

•    Architectures for Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Middleware support in Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Routing in Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Fairness Issues for Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Multicasting and Broadcasting issues in Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Security and Intrusion Detection for Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Handoff and mobility management in Wireless Mesh Networks
•    System prototypes and experimental evaluation of Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Scheduling and Queuing mechanisms to provide QoS in Wireless Mesh
Networks
•    Gaming applications over Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Service level agreement and mesh organization
•    Modeling and Performance Evaluation
•    Seamless internetworking with other type of networks (like sensor
networks)
•    Cross Layer Design and Interactions in Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Transport Layer Protocols over Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Deployment and configuration management
•    Voice and Video over Wireless Mesh Networks
•    Traffic Modeling
•    Mesh Networking Proposal Standards for IEEE 802(R) Wireless Lans
•    Authentication, Charging and Cooperation for Wireless Mesh Networks

Submitted papers will be reviewed by at least two independent experts in
the field. Proceedings of the workshop will be published in the same
manner as those of QShine, and will be available from the ACM Digital
Library. Authors of accepted papers will be required to register in
order for the paper to appear in the workshop proceedings.

Important dates
Full paper manuscript due:      May 12, 2006 Midnight US EST
Acceptance Notification:        June 13, 2006
Camera ready manuscripts due:   June 30, 2006
Workshop date:                  August 10, 2006

Submission Instructions

Prospective authors are encouraged to submit a PDF version of the full
paper in English language. Papers are limited to 5 two-column pages, in
a font no smaller than 10-points, IEEE conference proceedings format.
Papers should be submitted to the respective symposium through COCUS
systems at http://cocus.create-net.it/cocus/welcome.do. Authors of
accepted papers are required to register at regular registration rates
in order for the paper to appear in the conference proceedings.

Organizing Committee

Workshop Chair:
Giovanni Iacovoni, CreateNet, Italy ([email-masked])
Technical Program Committee Chair:
Andreas J. Kassler, Karlstad University, Sweden ([email-masked])
Publicity Chair:
Nicola Scalabrino, CreateNet, Italy ([email-masked])

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet