Subject: [manet] Re: PacketBB Packet Header

From: "Ian Chakeres" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 16:51:46 -0700

Comments inline

On 3/21/06, Ruffino Simone <[email-masked]> wrote:
> I would like to make few comments/clarifying-questions on the
> -packetbb-00 draft. As a general comment, I think the work for a common
> message format for MANET protocols, possibly optimized for forwarding,
> is important and it is really worth the effort.
>
> Having said that, :
>
> 1. What is exactly the motivation for the packet header? Reading the
> draft it seems to me that the most important functionalities (i.e.
> duplicate suppression and scope-delimited forwarding) are achieved using
> the msg-seq-number field in the message header (msg-header field). Is it
> intended as a replacement for DPD header option for use with SMF ?

We discussed this at the meeting, but I thought it would be good to
elaborate for the mailing list.

The packet header (and sequence number) is related to the node sending
the packet, which might contain several messages). The sequence number
is therefore related to the packet sender not the message sender.  It
can be used to determine whether a packet was lost using the sequence
number information, see OLSRv1 spec for more information.

Ian

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet