Subject: [manet] Route selection for reactive protocols in draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-05.txt

From: "Youngmin Kim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 11:07:21 +0900

Hello..

In section 6.2 of draft-wakikawa-manet-globalv6-05.txt, a manet node
may send a route request. My problem is that I don't know when the
route request is sent.

The time is when the node can't find a host route, or
The time is when the node can't find a host route and a internet route
as shown in the following, "The node SHOULD know whether a route
request was earlier sent for a destination whose route lookup found
the default route.  To prevent repeated route requests for packets
destined to the destination, the node MUST put a route entry for the
destination with the internet route as a next hop of the destination
node."

Best regards

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: "Anders Nilsson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 18:55:18 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

This section relates to the use of default routes. If a node finds the
default route during routing table lookup, the node can send a route
request to determine whether the destination is located within the MANET,
or if it resides in the Internet. If this is the first the time the node
is communicating with the destination, the node can not know where the
destination is located, assuming flat address hierarchy, and the default
route will always be found after it has been setup.
The node therefore has to know if it has done this search before. If it
doesn't know this, it will send a RREQ every time it receives a new packet
from the upper layers to be routed, which probably happens quite often as
most traffic sources tend to generate more than just one packet.

I hope this helps,

Anders