Subject: [manet] ARP in MANETS

From: fxbaloch <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:33:08 -0500

Ali,

Can you help me with these queries. After a packet comes from Network layer 
into the MAC layer, does the MAC layer reads all of its contents till the end 
of packet or just the destination address in order to proceed with RTS/CTS 
process and then eventually sending out the packet? Another question would be, 
do MANETs implement ARP to resolve unknown MAC addresses just like in wired 
LANs, or is there any other process to map ip address to MAC address in 
MANETS.

Thanks in advance
Fariha Baloch

Fariha Baloch
GRA Electrical and Computer Dept.,
Wichita State University.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 12:02:32 -0700

On Mon, 2006-04-24 at 12:33 -0500, fxbaloch wrote:
> process and then eventually sending out the packet?

The MAC layer should only look at data in the (MAC) frame header.
Looking farther should get you a visit by the Protocol Police for layer
violation.

Remember that MANET is not specific to 802.11 (a misunderstanding that
you're hinting that you have by the reference to RTS/CTS).  The MANET
protocols are supposed to work in _any_ network with high route
volatility.  Looking at packet contents beyond the frame header would
destroy this generality.  (This is an easy misunderstanding to get into
since WiFi is so common in commercial world.  Most all academic
experiments dealing with MANET use WiFi underneath because it's cheap
and available).