Subject: [manet] Internet draft on CEQMM: a Complete and and Efficient Quality of Service Model for MANETs

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 14:49:31 +0200 (CEST)

Hi all,

I have requested publication of an individual draft that specifies CEQMM,
a Complete and Efficient Quality of Service (QoS) Model for MANETs. CEQMM
operates on a best-effort MACs and can include heterogeneous nodes with
different radio capabilities.

In this first CEQMM draft, only two classes are used: QoS traffic class
and best-effort traffic class. QoS traffic class is given per-flow
provisioning. The next CEQMM draft update will give a predefined set of
service classes and use both per-flow state property of IntServ and the
service differentiation of DiffServ.

Until the draft becomes available on the usual IETF draft directories, it
has been made accessible at the following URL:

http://www.lix.polytechnique.fr/~badis/internet-drafts/draft-badis-manet-ceqmm-00.txt

The model implementation will be soon available on the QOLSR website:
http://qolsr.lri.fr/

Any comments or suggestions on the subject are welcome.

Regards,
--Hakim.

---------
Abstract
---------

   This draft specifies CEQMM, a Complete and Efficient Quality of
   Service (QoS) Model for MANETs which combines the positive aspects
   of both IntServ and DiffServ. It uses a hybrid per-flow and per-class
   provisioning scheme. In such a scheme, traffic of highest priority is
   given per-flow provisioning while other priority classes are given
   per-class provisioning. To offer this scheme and to ensure that
   certain packets receive higher priority transmission than other
   packets, priority classifier, active queue management and packet
   scheduler are integrated. CEQMM applies the QOLSR protocol to support
   multiple-metric routing criteria and to respond quickly when changes
   in topology and/or QoS conditions are detected. Once a path is chosen
   for one QoS flow, CEQMM performs call admission control (CAC) at each
   intermediate node. For only QoS flows of highest priority, a node can
   precede to soft and later hard bandwidth reservation on links during
   the CAC process.  CEQMM implements congestion avoidance mechanisms to
   prevent a network from entering the congested state.  However, in
   MANETs, network congestion can still occur frequently under mobility.
   In order to prevent performance degradation due to mobility-triggered
   congestion, CEQMM uses congestion control scheme based on: (i) rated
   control of best-effort traffic in the originator node, (ii) path
   selection for best-effort traffic, (iii) active queue management and
   (iv) backoff timer method.  In this first CEQMM draft, only two
   classes are used: QoS traffic class and best-effort traffic class.
   QoS traffic class is given per-flow provisioning. The next CEQMM
   draft update will give a predefined set of service classes and use
   both per-flow state property of IntServ and the service
   differentiation of DiffServ.  In order to maintain the most recent
   information about the network topology and QoS conditions, control
   traffic is enqueued in a separate queue and assigned the highest
   priority than the data traffic.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet