Subject: [manet] MAC layer Overhead of 802.11 frame is 28bytes or 34 bytes?

From: "Xu Changchun" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:15:59 +0800

Hi all,

   In the 802.11 specifications, it's shown that the overhead including MAC 
header and FCS field is 34 bytes (i.e.,272bits), which is also used in many 
literatures [1]. However, many other papers show that the overhead is 28 
bytes [3]. 
   And I wonder that what the corresponding value in OPNET8.1A?
[1]G. Bianchi, “Performance analysis of the IEEE 802.11 distributed 
coordination function,” IEEE J. Select. Areas Commun., vol. 18, pp. 
535-547, Mar. 2000.
[2]Yang Xiao and J. Rosdahl, "Throughput and delay limits of IEEE 802.11," 
IEEE Comm. Lett. Vol. 6, No. 8, Aug, 2002.

   thanks in advance! 

sailor,

_________________________________________________________________
与联机的朋友进行交流，请使用 MSN Messenger:  http://messenger.msn.com/cn  

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: LD <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 01:26:58 +0200

Hi

Xu Changchun wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> In the 802.11 specifications, it's shown that the overhead including
> MAC header and FCS field is 34 bytes (i.e.,272bits), which is also
> used in many literatures [1]. However, many other papers show that the
> overhead is 28 bytes [3]. And I wonder that what the corresponding
> value in OPNET8.1A?
34 bytes is the size of the full MAC Header with the 4th address and
correspond to the DS to DS transmission case. Chapter 7.2.2 of 802.11
1999 specs says that this 4th field is omitted in the other "regular"
sender/receiver combination. OPNET 11.x is using the most commonly used
header size of 28 bytes.

HTH

Laurent