Subject: Re: [manet] Curious about how to evaluate the performance of ad hoc network protocols

From: "Luo Gang" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 00:35:25 +0800

Dear Jesus, Sridhara and Antonakakis,

Thanks for sharing your vision with me.
I've read all paper you mentioned.

>Part of the problem is... defining the problem. Even a routing protocol
>can be analysed in multiples ways, each with its own performance metrics.
>The other problem is the conditions under which the performance is
>evaluated. Take a look at a paper called "MANET Simulation Studies: The
>Incredibles" by Kurkowski and others.
I agree Jesus's opinion,
it's important to define the problem clearly first,
such as which scenarios MANETs is expected to applied to?
if we don't know exactly about the expected scenarios,
we can not choose the suitable performace metrics to evaluate it.
I learn much from the paper he commended.

Sridhara present their study on "realistic mobility (derived from various urban
planning institutions and US Bureau of labor statistics)" for Urban Mesh Networks.
http://udelmodels.eecis.udel.edu
it must be useful!

but I am not sure if the Urban Mesh Networks is a kind of typical MANET,
since we certainly could build infrastructure for such networks...

While Sridhara introduce their "mLab", a tool for ad hoc routing protocol
and application developers to bridge the gap between simulations and field testing.
http://csrc.nist.gov/manet
I've read their paper servals month ago,
it's interesting, especially to those who concern security.

Thanks for all of you.

Regards,
--
Luo Gang

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet