Subject: RE: [manet] 802.11s: Neighbors, Link Layer and Network Layer

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2006 19:21:16 -0400

Hi, Baker and all:

Baker has provided a right analysis.

It shows that wireless LANs, being a wireless media that provides an
illusion like physical layer as provided in TDMA, CDMA, FDMA schemes, are
hiding the different layers like LLC and MAC layer embedded inside it
(please see the figure Baker provided below).

It clearly shows that the protocols that are embedded inside the wireless
medium need to be understood clearly. Otherwise, the use of term "wireless"
will create confusions just to think, as if, it is a physical layer.

In another topic, the cross layer communications in wireless environments
are trying optimize the case whether all those layering inside the wireless
networking. They are trying to prove that some of those layers, unlike
physical wire/coax/fiber layer, are not needed. Rather, it would be better
to bypass them, and these are known as cross layer communications.

Best regards,

Radhika

 <https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet>  

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet