Subject: RE: [manet] Re: MANET definition of a neighbor

From: "DANIEL BYRNE" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 15:28:26 -0500

"I have argued along the lines, though, that the most important metric
for a path in a manet network is not its speed or degree of  congestion
(although those are very interesting second-order  metrics), but the
probability that it will be useful at the time I  want to use it." 

-Agreed. Speed and degree of congestion are second to reliability.
Rebuilding lists of reliable neighbor nodes every 3 seconds or so will
increase the probability that the links in the list will be useful.

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet

---

From: Rex Buddenberg <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 13:41:59 -0700

I've experienced this enough that it's the way I teach my students.
When you're trying to do requirements analysis, the only think you know
about the capacity requirements statements is that they're wrong.  And
even if they were right once, they're not any more.

On the other hand, if you do the availability requirements work first,
you quite often overtake the capacity issues and shove them off into the
no-nevermind locker.  

My hands-on experience with this requirements analysis gouge is in wired
networks and in radionavigation systems, but it should apply equally
well in radio networks.  

-- 
Rex Buddenberg
Naval Postgraduate School
Code IS/Bu
Monterey, Ca 93943

831/656-3576

---

From: Fred Baker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2006 13:47:07 -0700

> increase the probability that the links in the list will be useful.

Not sure I buy the argument. If nothing has changed, rebuilding the  
table will result in the same table and consume a lot of power and  
CPU while doing so. If something has changed but it is not relevant  
to the communications I am involved in, it is the proverbial tree  
falling in the forest - whether I adapt to the change or not has no  
near term effect. And if there has been a change that affects my  
communications (as end point or relay), any routing protocol I am  
aware of will adapt to it anyway.

Why, specifically, does this accomplish anything?