Subject: [manet] [DL July 10th RDDS 2006] Workshop on Reliability in Decentralized Distributed Systems

From: "Eiko Yoneki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 09:53:29 +0100

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message)  

**** Final Submission Deadline is July 10, 2006 **** 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

International Workshop on Reliability in Decentralized Distributed Systems
(RDDS 2006) 
http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/fedconf/index.html?page=rdds2006cfp

In conjunction with ON THE MOVE FEDERATED CONFERENCES 2006
(OTM'06-ODBASE/DOA/CoopIS/GADA) http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/fedconf 

Montpellier, France, Oct 29 - Nov 3, 2006
Proceedings will be published by Springer Verlag

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

WORKSHOP THEME 

Middleware has become a popular technology for building distributed systems
from tiny sensor networks to large scale peer-to-peer (P2P) networks.
Support such as asynchronous and multipoint communication is well suited for
constructing reactive distributed computing applications over wired and
wireless networks environments. While middleware infrastructures exhibit
attractive features from an application development perspective (e.g.,
portability, interoperability, adaptability etc.), they are often lacking in
robustness and reliability. Distributed systems become increasingly large
and complex, thereby compounding many reliability problems that necessitate
different strategies and solutions.

For example, in the inherently distributed nature of P2P networks, the most
common solution to reliability is to take advantage of redundancy. The same
task can be initially assigned to multiple peers. In file sharing
applications, data can be replicated across many peers. In messaging
applications, messages can be simultaneously sent along multiple paths.
Redundancy may not be appropriate, however, in resource-constrained
environments such as wireless ad hoc networks where more lightweight
alternatives are needed. Some systems even rely on autonomic management
technologies inspired by nature and biological organisms to cope with the
challenges of scale, complexity, heterogeneity and unpredictability. In any
case, the system model (e.g., communication, failures) and application
requirements are key factors in the design of reliably mechanisms.

Among different aspects of reliability issues, this workshop focuses on
reliability in decentralized distributed systems. While decentralized
architectures are gaining adoption is most application domains, there is
still some reluctance in deploying them in systems with high dependability
requirements. This has led, over the past few years, to several academic and
industrial research efforts aimed at correcting this deficiency. For the
most part, these research efforts have been independent of each other, and
have often focused on specific pieces of the dependability puzzle. Our aim,
in this Workshop, is to bring researchers and practitioners together, to
further our insights on reliable decentralized architectures and to
investigate collectively the challenges that remain.

GOAL

The purpose of the RDDS 2006 workshop on Reliability in Distributed
Decentralized Systems is to bring together researchers from diverse
communities who are interested in building dependable reliable distributed
systems in decentralized form, to explore ways of making today's middleware
technologies more robust, and to discuss and exchange experimental or
theoretical results, novel design, work-in-progress, experience, case study,
and trend-setting ideas. We seek contributions from researchers of all
backgrounds, in particular peer-to-peer systems, messaging, ad hoc
communication, middleware and distributed systems, and autonomic management
systems.

TOPICS OF INTEREST 

The Workshop solicits contributions on topics related to, but not limited
to, the following: 

-  Reliable communication, architectures and algorithms 
-  Lessons learned in building/using dependable middleware: what works, what
doesn't? 
-  Integrating dependable embedded and enterprise middleware systems 
-  Trade-offs in adding other "-ilities" (survivability, adaptability,
scalability, availability, mobility, security, real-time, etc.) to reliable
middleware infrastructures 
-  Integration of dependability into formal distributed object models 
-  Shaping/enhancing standards for reliable middleware 
-  Evaluating dependability for middleware applications 
-  Limitations of existing fault tolerance technologies in the context of
middleware applications 
-  Metrics, benchmarks and performance studies in evaluating reliability for
middleware applications 
-  Combining different dependability strategies, e.g., replication with
transactions 
-  Self-healing, self-protecting systems 
-  Autonomic system management 
-  Reliability measurement, modelling and evaluation 
-  Tools for design and evaluation of reliable systems 
-  Application-specific reliable system (e.g.embedded systems, Web,
databases) 
-  Enabling technologies for self-managing systems and networks 
-  Economic, biological and social models used for autonomic communications 
-  Timeliness and availability in support of reliability 
-  QoS for reliable systems

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for paper submission June 30th, 2006
Notification of acceptance August 10th, 2006
Deadline for camera-ready papers August 20th, 2006

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

All submitted papers will be carefully evaluated based on originality,
significance, technical soundness, and clarity of expression. All
submissions must be in English. Submissions should be in PDF format and must
not exceed 10 pages in the final camera-ready format for regular papers and
4 pages for position papers. 

Authors instructions can be found at: 
http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html 

The paper submission site is located at: 
http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/fedconf/rdds/2006/papers 

Accepted workshop contributions will be published by Springer-Verlag as LNCS
(Lecture Notes in Computer Science) as a part of the workshop proceedings of
the 2006 International On The Move Federated Conferences (OTM). Registering
to the OTM conference and RDDS workshop is a prerequisite for the paper to
be published. 

CONTACT PEOPLE:

Eiko Yoneki
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge 
United Kingdom
Email: [email-masked]

Pascal Felber
Dependable and Distributed Computing Group
Université de Neuchâtel 
Institut d'informatique
Switzerland
Email: [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

- Licia Capra (University College London, UK) 
- Mariano Cilia (Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany) 
- Vittorio Cortellessa (Universita' de L'Aquila, Italy) 
- Simon Courtenage (University of Westminster, UK) 
- Patrick Eugster (Purdue University, USA) 
- Ludger Fiege (Siemens Research, Germany) 
- Maria Gradinariu (IRISA/INRIA-CNRS, France)
- Eli Katsiri (Imperial College London, UK) 
- Michael Kounavis (Intel Research, USA) 
- Marco Mamei (Università di Modena, Italy) 
- Jon Munson (IBM T J Watson Research Center, USA) 
- Maziar Nekovee (BT Research, UK) 
- Andrea Passarella (IIT-CNR, Italy) 
- Peter Pietzuch (Harvard University, USA) 
- Matthieu Roy (LAAS-CNRS, France)
- François Taïani (Lancaster University, UK) 
- Niki Trigoni (Birkbeck University London, UK) 
- Einar Vollset (Cornell University, USA) 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet