Subject: [manet] ACM SenSys 2006: Travel Grants, Posters, Demos and Workshops

From: Wei Ye <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2006 10:08:50 -0700

ACM SenSys 2006: Travel Grants, Posters, Demos and Workshops

Our Apologies if you have received multiple copies of this email.

Wei Ye and Cormac J. Sreenan
SenSys'06 Publicity Co-Chairs
---------

The 4th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems
November 1-3, 2006
Boulder, Colorado, USA
http://sensys.acm.org/2006/

Sponsored by ACM SIGCOMM, SIGMOBILE, SIGARCH, SIGOPS, SIGMETRICS and  
SIGBED; with support from NSF.

The 4th ACM Conference on Embedded Networked Sensor Systems (SenSys)  
is a highly selective, single-track forum for the presentation of  
research results on systems issues in the area of embedded, networked 
sensors. Distributed systems based on networked sensors and actuators  
with embedded computation capabilities allow for an instrumentation  
of the physical world at an unprecedented scale and density, thus  
enabling a new generation of monitoring and control applications.  
This conference provides an ideal venue to address the research  
challenges facing the design, deployment, use, and fundamental limits  
of these systems. Sensor networks require contributions from many  
fields, from wireless communication and networking, embedded systems  
and hardware, distributed systems, data management, and applications,  
so we welcome cross-disciplinary work.

ACM SenSys 2006: Student Travel Grants
--------------------------------------

We will assist around 17 US-based graduate students to attend this
meeting. The amount of support provided to each student will be $881 
on average, or the actual documented amount of expenses, whichever is
less. It covers travel, lodging, registration, and meals. All travel
support is made possible by a travel grant from the US National 
Science Foundation (NSF).
     
Important Dates

Travel applications due: September 1, 2006
Notification of awards: September 8, 2006
Acceptance by recipients: September 15, 2006

Application Procedure

Applications for the travel award should be received electronically by
Haiyun Luo ([email-masked]) by Friday, September 1, 2006. Please
make sure that you receive an email confirmation of your submission.
An application will consist of the student's vita, a letter from the
student, and a letter from the student's advisor.

The letter from the student should include:

  1. A brief summary of research interests and accomplishments to date
  2. A description of areas reflected in the SenSys 2006 program that 
     would impact the students research
  3. Importance of attend the conference to the students research
     activities  

In addition, the student's advisor should send a letter of
recommendation to the committee. It should include: 

  1. Confirmation that the student is a Ph.D. candidate in good 
     standing
  2. The suitability SenSys 2006 program to the students research area
  3. Ways in which attending the conference would benefit the
     particular student 
  4. The strengths and potential contributions of the student.

The awards will be announced by Friday, September 8, 2006. Recipients
will be required to accept the award by Friday, September 15, 2006, so
that alternates can be notified in the event that a recipient
declines.

Award Selection Committee

Nirupama Bulusu, Portland State U.
Deepak Ganesan, UMass
Haiyun Luo, UIUC
Shivakant Mishra, U. of Colorado
Sergio Servetto, Cornell 

CALL FOR POSTERS
----------------

The poster session will provide a forum for researchers to showcase  
their work and obtain feedback on ongoing research from knowledgeable  
conference attendees. Areas of interest are the same as those listed  
in the technical call for papers. While the poster need not describe  
completed work, it should report on research for which at least  
preliminary results are available. We especially encourage  
submissions by students (that is, for which a student is the first  
author on the poster).

POSTER SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Poster proposals must be submitted as a single PDF file with no more  
than 3 pages. The first two pages should contain an abstract  
describing the research content of the poster, along with title,  
authors, institutional affiliations and contact information. The  
third page should contain a thumbnail draft of the poster's contents.  
Please submit your poster proposal as a PDF e-mail attachment to

[email-masked]

with the subject line reading "Sensys Poster Submission" before the  
deadline. Any questions for the Poster Co-chairs Henry Tirri (Nokia),  
Robert Szewczyk (Moteiv) may also be directed to this address.

IMPORTANT DATES

Three-page poster proposal: 11:59pm (EST), July 24, 2006
Notification of acceptance: August 7, 2006
Camera-ready abstract: August 22, 2006
Conference dates: November 1-3, 2006

BASIC INFORMATION ABOUT POSTERS

Two-page poster abstracts will appear in the conference proceedings.
Authors of accepted poster proposals will have a chance to present
the poster to interested attendees during a special poster session at
SenSys. Well-crafted posters will tell the story well by themselves,
but authors of posters are expected to be available to describe and
discuss the work in the poster during the session.

The poster dimensions are 30" by 40", with poster contents mounted on
rectangular poster board that we will provide. You may choose a
layout consisting of individual sheets of paper, or a monolithic
large piece of poster paper (which can be printed at document
companies).

Henry Tirri, Nokia
Robert Szewczyk, Moteiv
SenSys 2006 Poster Chairs

CALL FOR DEMOS
--------------

Demonstrations showing innovative research and applications are  
solicited. SenSys'06 is very interested in demonstrations of technology,
platforms, and applications of wireless sensor networks. Two-page
abstracts of accepted demos will be published in the SenSys conference
proceedings. Submissions from both industries and universities are
encouraged. Large-scale, outdoor demos can also be accommodated at the
conference facility. For the first time, SenSys 2006 will present a best
demo award.

DEMO SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

Please send a two-page description of your demo to 

[email-masked]

in PDF format by the dates listed below. An additional one page appendix
can be included in the initial submission but will be removed in
published proceedings. Be as specific as possible in describing what you
will show.

IMPORTANT DATES

Two-page demo descriptions: 11:59pm (EST), July 24, 2006
Notification of acceptance: August 7, 2006
Camera-ready abstract: August 22, 2006
Conference dates: November 1-3, 2006

Chieh-Yih Wan, Intel Labs
Jie Liu, Microsoft Research
SenSys 2006 Demo Chairs

Workshop on Distributed Smart Cameras (DSC-06)
----------------------------------------------

http://www.iti.tugraz.at/dsc06

Boulder, Colorado, USA
October 31, 2006

Scope:
Distributed smart cameras combine two concepts: physically  
distributed cameras and distributed computing.  Distributed smart  
cameras are examples of high-performance multimedia sensor networks.  
This area brings together researchers in image processing, sensor  
networks, and embedded system architecture.

Several groups are now working on distributed smart cameras, but  
generally pursuing them in different research communities.  This  
meeting would be the first event to bring together all the research  
groups working on this problem.  We solicit papers addressing  
theoretical and practical aspects of distributed smart cameras.  We  
particularly encourage submissions describing applications, case  
studies or deployments.

Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:

- Distributed embedded systems for video
- Smart camera architectures
- Collaborative embedded vision
- Networking for distributed smart cameras
- Multi-sensor systems and sensor fusion
- Middleware for distributed smart cameras
- Applications of smart cameras in areas such as surveillance,  
  tracking and smart rooms

Submission Instructions:

We invite authors to submit papers no longer than 5 pages in PDF to  
[email-masked]. Accepted papers will made available to workshop  
participants. Demo presentations are welcome. If you plan to present  
a demo of distributed smart cameras contact the workshop co-chairs.

Important Dates:

- Paper submission: July 31, 2006
- Notification of acceptance: Sep 15, 2006
- CR paper submission: Sep. 30, 2006
- Workshop: Oct. 31, 2006

Program co-chairs:
B. Rinner, TU Graz
W. Wolf, Princeton U.

Program committee:
F. Berry, Univ. Clermont-Ferrand
S. Bhattacharyya, U. Maryland
M. Bove, MIT Media Lab
J. Ferryman, Reading Univ.
C. Guestrin, CMU
R. Kleihorst, Philips Research
X. Koutsoukos, Vanderbilt U.
C. Regazzoni, Univ. Genova
M. Srivastava, UCLA
W. Strasser, Univ. Tübingen

First Workshop on World-Sensor-Web (WSW'2006)
---------------------------------------------

Mobile Device Centric Sensory Networks and Applications

http://www.sensorplanet.org/wsw2006/

Boulder, Colorado, USA
October 31, 200

SCOPE

The global use of mobile phones on a scale never seen before enables  
the development of new types of application scenarios. Furthermore, a  
mobile device centric approach to large-scale sensory networks  
provides a challenging platform for research purposes. Additionally,  
connecting sensory networks to the Internet creates endless  
opportunities for applications and services, new emerging models of  
operation.

The workshop aims to address these aspects, beside traditional  
sensory network topics such as power management, communication  
issues, topology management, distributed architectures, peer-to-peer  
scenarios, etc. Demonstrations and initial ideas are welcome as well.

Original, short or position papers (max 5 page), presenting results  
on both theoretical and practical aspects of large-scale mobile  
device centric sensor networks are expected. We are particularly  
interested in prototype descriptions, reports from on-going trials  
and demonstrations, real-life deployments. Live or videod demos are  
encouraged.

Topics of interest include but are not limited to:

- device centric sensory networks
- communication strategies and topology control
- location and mobility management
- power management, energy-efficient design
- data gathering, transport, storage, retrieval, mining and  
  dissemination
- data analysis and visualisation
- modelling and simulation software tools
- experimental systems and demonstrations
- real-life deployments, middleware implementations
- beyond location sensing
- intelligent sensors, body sensors and their utilisation
- phone as a gateway
- end-user aspects, UI issues, use cases
- sensory networks and the Web

WORKSHOP CO-ORGANIZERS

Henry Tirri, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, Finland
Barbara Heikkinen, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, Finland
Boda Péter, Nokia Research Center, Helsinki, Finland

TECHNICAL PROGRAM COMMITTEE

Joe Paradiso, MIT Media Laboratory, Cambridge, MA, USA
Deborah Estrin, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA, USA
Gaetano Borriello, University of Washington, Seattle, WA, USA
Philippe Bonnet, University of Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
Sam Madden, MIT CSAIL, Cambridge, USA
Jukka Salminen, Nokia research Center, Helsinki, Finland

IMPORTANT DATES

Papers due:                   September 1, 2006
Notification of acceptance    September 30, 2006
Camera-ready papers due       October 10, 2006

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS

WSW'2006 invites submissions for position papers or short papers on  
prototype descriptions, early research results, reports from on-going  
demonstrations, etc. Demonstrations, live or videod, are mostly  
encouraged.

All papers should meet the following formatting rules:

1. Papers should be submitted in PDF format.
2. The maximum length is five pages. The paper size format is US 
   letter, including all text, figures, references, appendices, etc.
3. Two column formatting
4. One-inch margins on all sides
5. Minimum 10-point font size (smaller fonts are acceptable for  
   footnotes, references, and figure captions).

Questions, inquiries

Please mail to peter dot boda at nokia dot com with subject WSW2006. 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet