Subject: [manet] FW: [CFP] Workshop on Advanced Data Processing in Ubiquitous Computing (ADPUC 2006)

From: "Eiko Yoneki" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 09:20:59 +0100

(Apologies if you receive multiple copies of this message)  
The aim of workshop is to get together various research communities (e.g.
P2P indexing, composite events in Pub/Sub, stream Data processing, and
sensor data aggregation) for future ubiquitous computing.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
International Workshop on Advanced Data Processing in Ubiquitous Computing
(ADPUC 2006) 
http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/~hinze/ADPUC/

In conjunction with ACM/IFIP/USENIX 7th International Middleware Conference 
http://2006.middleware-conference.org/

November 27 - December 1, MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA
 
**** Submission Deadline  August 1, 2006 ****
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
CALL FOR PAPERS

Research in ubiquitous computing environments is now turning to novel
concepts to address the challenge of providing data and query services.
Middleware techniques can make key contributions to these needs. This
workshop will address issues of data management in ubiquitous computing
environment with a special focus on data processing. It will analyse
paradigms for query and data processing that are rooted in the middleware
community and may be beneficial in the future of ubiquitous computing. 

For those from the middleware research community, the ubiquitous or mobile
computing area raises challenges of system and algorithm design: mobile
devices or devices in peer-to-peer networks have different properties to
static networks. The environment is seen as being more fluid, with increased
rate of change of environment, and with components that can vary widely in
computing capability, availability and interaction type. Streaming data or
event-based data interchange in peer-to-peer networks are only two examples.

Current research often focuses on P2P networks that are extending to
ubiquitous environments. Sensor data are captured beyond edge nodes in wide
area networks. Initial research in wireless sensor networks often focused on
WSN itself. However, in the near future those data will be integrated in
Internet environments. At the same time, queries originated in the Internet
will be propagated into WSN environments. Data will be stored and shared
among different applications over the Internet. Middleware systems will
bridge the gap between these two different networks systems. 

Aggregating data/events in ubiquitous computing requires management of
stateful events. In addition, time in distributed and unreliable
environments as well as asynchrony and unstable communication create further
challenges. The workshop aims at addressing a global view of data/event
correlation, filtering and aggregation over whole distributed systems. One
of the goals of the workshop is the definition of key terms of data
processing (e.g., aggregation, filtering, correlation, indexing, query,
subscription, composition) in the light of different contexts and
backgrounds. 

In addition, there is no single typical WSN application, and dependency on
applications is higher than in traditional distributed applications. The
application/middleware layer must provide fundamental services for efficient
extraction, manipulation, transport, and representation of information
derived from sensor data. Data will be shared by different applications over
Internet. This requires the database community to revisit data models, query
languages, storage support, query optimization, as well as, data and
application services integration. It also requires further interaction with
information retrieval, programming languages, artificial intelligence,
distributed computing, and workflows. 

AIM of WORKSHOP
 
The purpose of this workshop is to bring together people from different
communities interested in all aspects of data processing in ubiquitous
environments. We seek contributions from practitioners in industry and
government, as well as from academic and industrial researchers. We
specifically seek to encourage cross-fertilizations with related research
areas (e.g., such research areas as stream processing, continuous queries,
active databases, P2P searching and indexing, wireless networks). We wish to
avoid, for example, the database communities and the distributed systems
communities independently studying and solving overlapping problems in
ubiquitous environments. 

We seek a balance between research studies relating to design and
implementation of such systems, and presentations of either actual
experience with the use of such systems for a real problem, or requirements
for future systems to solve projected real problems. Researchers need to
make sure they are studying important problems; potential users need to
understand the directions in evolving technologies. Since this is a
workshop, we encourage position papers and works in progress rather than
polished results. 

Key goals of the workshop are:
 
- Initiate communication between the different research communities 
- Develop understanding of the different foci of the communities 
- Clarify the differing constraints and required functionality in
representative applications 
- Identify mutually agreed research questions within the area 
- Explore methods of evaluation and comparison 
- Cross-fertilise the ideas and innovations of the largely disjoint groups 

Papers do not have to be based on complete and comprehensive works. In fact,
we welcome position papers, requirements for real-world applications, as
well as papers based on preliminary results, provided that they are
forward-looking and that they remain well-argued and justified in terms of
existing work. 

TOPICS OF INTEREST 

The goal of this workshop is to share and discuss original and innovative
ideas. We intend this workshop to act as an initial forum where people from
different areas can find a forum to discuss issues of data management and
processing in these new and emerging environments. Therefore, we invite
authors from diverse communities that are interested in data processing in
ubiquitous environments, such as middleware, distributed systems, ad-hoc and
peer-to-peer systems, delay tolerant networks, streaming sensor networks,
wireless sensor networks, databases, mobile computing. 

Below is a list of possible topics of interest. The list should not be seen
as exhaustive. 

- Data aggregation/correlation (e.g., for sensor data in ubiquitous
environment) 
- Reactive systems 
- Event filtering/correlation over distributed systems 
- Context extracting (e.g. meta-data extraction and annotation) 
- Search/Query/Indexing mechanisms over P2P based systems 
- Process models for ubiquitous/P2P environments (e.g. event-based,
communication, selection) 
- Multidimensional data/query model (e.g. Spatial and temporal attributes) 
- Semantic data model 
- Semantic interoperability, and integration 
- Filtering/composition algorithms also filtering/correlation engine 
- Location over distributed systems 
- Representation of database query in complex format for active database 
- Data mining and knowledge discovery in distributed systems 
- High-level language for event query and query task propagation 
- Distributed stream processing and dissemination 
- Stream-based and continuous query processing 
- Query planning and optimization in distributed systems 

IMPORTANT DATES

Deadline for paper submission:  August 1st, 2006 
Decision to paper authors:  September 1st, 2006  
Camera ready version:  October 1st, 2006  
ADPUC 2006 workshop:  November 27, 2006  
Middleware 2006 conference:  November 27 - December 1, 2006  

SUBMISSION GUIDELINES

Submissions should not exceed 6 (six) pages in ACM proceedings style,
including all text, references, appendices, and figures. The template can be
found at http://www.acm.org/sigs/pubs/proceed/template.html (Option 1). 

Please submit your paper by e-mail to [email-masked] no later than
the 1st August 2006. Your submission e-mail must have "ADPUC submission" as
subject and contain the PDF file as a MIME attachment. The sender of the
submission will be the contact person, unless otherwise requested in the
submission. At least one of the authors of accepted papers is expected to
participate in the workshop. 

All workshop papers will be published via ACM's Digital Library as part of
the "ACM International Conference Proceeding Series" (AICPS).  

ORGANIZERS

Annika Hinze 
Department of Computer Science
University of Waikato
Private Bag 3105
Hamilton, New Zealand
Email: [email-masked] 

Eiko Yoneki 
University of Cambridge 
Computer Laboratory
JJ Thomson Avenue, Cambridge 
CB3 0FD, United Kingdom 
Email: [email-masked] 

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

- Mariano Cilia, University of Darmstadt, Germany 
- Landon Cox (Duke University, USA) 
- Patrick Eugster, Purdue University, USA 
- Ludger Fiege, Siemens AG, Germany 
- Christos Gkantsidis (Microsoft Research) 
- Birgitta König-Ries, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität, Jena, Germany 
- Peter Pietzuch, Harvard University, USA 
- Manuel Scholz, Freie Universitaet Berlin, Germany 
- Sasu Tarkoma, University of Helsinki, Finland 
- Nesime Tatbul (Brown University, USA) 
- Niki Trigoni, Birkbeck, University of London, UK 
- Can Türker, UNI / ETH Zurich, Switzerland 

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet