Subject: [manet] Location information for Manet: draft-haerri-manet-location-01.txt

From: Jerome Haerri <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 18:32:03 +0200

Dear Colleagues,

An updated IETF Internet-Draft is available from the on-line 
Internet-Drafts directories.

The aim of this document is to extend the recent internet drafts 
[PacketBB] (Clausen, T., “Generalized MANET Packet/Message Format,” .) 
and [NHDP] (Clausen, T., “MANET Neighborhood Discovery Protocol (NHDP),” 
.) to include mobility information in TLV messages. Accordingly, this 
specification proposes a generalized mobility-based signaling framework, 
which MAY be employed by both mobile ad hoc networks routing protocols 
and other protocols with similar signaling requirements and which 
requires mobility information.
	
A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-haerri-manet-location-01.txt

I would like to use this opportunity to start a discussion about 
location information for MANET.

Although such data should not be required as it may not be guarantied, I 
believe that specifying the standard for exchanging location information 
should be useful for Manet protocol.

A large and increasing number of protocols, mostly for VANETs (Vehicular 
Ad Hoc Networks), have been proposed in the last 2 years which where 
aimed at improving links stability, periodic maintenance, power 
consumption or even security.

In the Intelligent Vehicle Research, standardization effort have been 
launched in order to agree on the contents of the messages exchanged by 
vehicles. Routing protocols and Internet are part of the services that 
are to be provided to intelligent vehicles. Accordingly, I believe that 
standardizing the content of "intelligent packets" for MANET or VANET 
should also be part of the WG, or maybe the IRTF (Internet Research Task 
Force) MANET Research Group.

Please contact me with any comments on that field,

Best Regards,

Jerome Haerri

-- 
Jerome Haerri
Ph.D Candidate

Eurecom Institute
Mobile Communications Department
2229, Route des Cretes
B.P. 193
06904 Sophia-Antipolis Cedex
France

Home   : +33 (0)4 92 38 97 09
Office : +33 (0)4 93 00 26 76
Mob    : +33 (0)6 10 79 72 83

E-mail : [email-masked]

Web    : http://www.eurecom.fr/people/haerri.en.htm

_______________________________________________
manet mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/manet